It is already too late! Maybe not.

For poking fun and off topic subjects
FredC

Re: It is already too late! Maybe not.

Post by FredC »

Dick Hosmer wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 7:57 pm Off-topic, but reminded me of a question - BR, why is the UP MI instead of WI? Has always seemed odd somehow.
I think there is some kind of rivalry going on with Michigan and Wisconsin. Be careful that you do not upset Br.

For some reason we miss out on all that stuff in the middle of Texas. I cannot fully understand that they have the rivalries elsewhere. Maybe it is so far to the surrounding states we hardly know they exist.

My brother just emailed me back about going to see an eclipse in Wyoming in 2017 and mentioned the traffic jams that lasted for hours. Maybe I am just kidding myself that I can go about my regular business in Jourdanton and whip out my camera and take a couple of pictures from an overpass at a couple minutes before noon.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The Michigan Territory southern border was described in the Ordinance of 1787, as being a strait east-west line drawn at the base of Lake Michigan.
This Ordinance was the 'blueprint' for developing the area known as the Northwest Territory, (which the U.S.A. received by treaty following The Revolution).
Five States were to be created, on an equal footing to the then existing States.

The States of Ohio and Indiana, preceded Michigan, and illegally pushed their northern borders into the Michigan Territory. Those two States embarked on canal building and needed the Maumee River and Port of Toledo on Lake Erie.

The town of Toledo paid its taxes to Michigan and was legally part of the Michigan Territory.

Ohio and Indiana blocked Michigan's bid at Statehood to try and extort a dropping of its legal claims.

The Territory of Michigan and The State of Ohio threatened to go to War. The U.S. Congress got involved and Wisconsin lost! (The U.P.)

Actually, the eastern part of the Upper Peninsula was always part of the Michigan Territory: Mackinaw, St. Ignace, and Sault Ste. Marie

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Maybe it's 'hand envy'.

Other entities want a piece of Michigan!
Attachments
Michimap_002.jpg
Michimap_002.jpg (15.89 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
UP-Really.jpg
UP-Really.jpg (47.91 KiB) Viewed 1371 times
Dew_map_001.jpg
Dew_map_001.jpg (94.97 KiB) Viewed 1371 times

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

However. However the congress of the States got involved because the Congress owns the territories up to moment of statehood. And Congress set the borders and create new states through the constitution.

Frankly I think Ohio got hosed on the deal . Toledo and the twelve mile strip should be in Michigan and we should have got the U. P.

It would be smiliar to the time Massachuetts owned Maine before Maine obtained statehood.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Ohio got what it wanted - Toledo!
Indiana got what it wanted - The Great Black Swamp!
Illinois got what it wanted - A river and lake port that smelled like onions and became Chicago!

Wisconsin got screwed by Illinois and the U.S. Government, but got rid of Chicago, so they probably called it a draw!

Michigan got the western part of the U.P., as well as the eastern part, gained Statehood, acquired vast mineral & wood riches,
and became the biggest state east of the Mississippi, with hardly firing a shot. Sorry Toledo, (a lovely city), but I think Michigan won!

Dick, think 'sibling rivalry' and the petty jealousy that comes with it.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Well, it is time for last minute preparations for Eclipse 1.
Just got 3 filters for different camera lenses. Photo was taken with a new 58mm filter on a long 300 mm telephoto lens. I was hoping to see details like sunspots. I guess I would need the 4 inch reflector for that but I gave it away.

Talked to my brother and he mentioned paralyzing traffic jams watching the 2017 eclipse in the rurals of Wyoming.
Mentioned this to the assistant fire chief and he is getting with emergency management to see if we need to do any special preparations for the crowds.

sun2.jpg
sun2.jpg (140.08 KiB) Viewed 1265 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

#1 eclipse is in the books. A friend and I planned to take cameras to the west side of Jourdanton to catch some photo time.
An hour before it was very cloudy to the west in the direction we had planned. So we headed east towards my place. Borrowed the neighbor's' Gator to get a high point in an open field. Got there it was cloudy and no sign of improving. We saw a clearing to the west and headed to the fire station. Left the SLR and the big telephoto in the gator, whoops.
I did get 2 photos and some video with a camcorder. It was through high clouds and between heavier lower clouds. I left some eclipse glasses in my vehicle for the neighbor. He grabbed them and headed north with his wife and daughters, they found completely clear skies and had a good view. Oh, well.

My brothers' warning about "paralyzing traffic' did not come true. Saw about a dozen cars with people set up to take pictures along the way. Otherwise just normal traffic.
Eclipse2RS.jpg
Eclipse2RS.jpg (911.42 KiB) Viewed 914 times
Eclipse1Rs.jpg
Eclipse1Rs.jpg (911.58 KiB) Viewed 914 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Neat! We had heavy clouds and rain yesterday, so the eclipse was not viewable.

We took the visiting Florida Grandkids to the Flint Planetarium and then to a cider mill for cider & donuts. Fall colors are starting to look glorious and the sun is out today. Lots of Sandhill Cranes, Turkey and Deer sightings on our drive.

waterman

Post by waterman »

My wife and I forgot to look.