It is already too late! Maybe not.

For poking fun and off topic subjects
FredC

It is already too late! Maybe not.

Post by FredC »

Cleaning up junk at the house and found a 2017 newspaper article. The things you save back then and think they are important.

Well this one is different. It said we need to start planning in October 2022 for a special event. Whoops, I missed it. Maybe it is not too late to book hotel rooms and schedule parties.

Seems like every decade or so there is an eclipse in this country. Never traveled to watch a total eclipse. I have seen several partials during my life. This one that is coming up will be on April 8 2024. Totality will pass by just a few miles west of here. Looking at the edge of the map in the newspaper Br will be close to this one also. He might have seen several as the path of many of the past ones went way north of us.

You never know what the future holds. Will I still be driving then, or will I still have friends that can drive 100 miles to take me to see it? I doubt if I will book a hotel. Small towns to the west have few hotels or motels. And the few that do will be booked by oil field workers. Garner Park north of Uvalde has camping spots that are probably already booked.

FredC

Re: It is already too late! Maybe not.

Post by FredC »

It is possible to look at hundreds of eclipse images at one time. During that last partial for us eclipse in 2017 I took an oil screen for a machine outside and got this image:
EclipseRS.jpg
EclipseRS.jpg (294.98 KiB) Viewed 3583 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FredC, if you are just 100 miles from a location that has 'totality', on April 8, 2024, you will have a pretty dramatic effect in your own yard.

The most memorable Solar Event, that I've witnessed, was a partial eclipse on an ideally clear day in my home area.
In the early afternoon with the Sun directly overhead, bright turned to twilight.
The Sun was almost completely blocked by the Moon, except for a perfect halo of the Sun's corona.

Trees, people, and every object cast awesome shadows, that were directly below and in every direction. The shadows revealed the texture and fine detail of leaves, branches, and human hair, projected onto the ground, 360%.

It was like being on an alien planet with multiple Suns!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I know what you mean. I'm planning for July 1st, 2034. That will be the last time this century that a full moon will be on July 1st. Why am I planning for this celestial event? Glad you asked.

There was a full moon on July 1st 1863. The first day of the battle at Gettysburg. I want to (God willing) go to Little Round Top and look out over the battle field and imagine what the soldiers could see in the night time.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

polska

Post by polska »

I like an optimist. I'm hoping I'm still alive in 2034. :lol:

FredC

Being in the crosshairs is not always bad.

Post by FredC »

Just saw a map of the 2 upcoming solar eclipses.
San Antonio is in the crosshairs. Oct 14, 2023 an annular eclipse crosses San Antonio with the already mentioned April 8, 2024 total eclipse just 50 miles west.
The Just released NASA map looks like an X with the crossover point just west of here.
Br, the total eclipse crosses not too much south of you. I know you like visiting Florida and there seems to be some kind of rivalry with those states south of you. Maybe you can stand to make a short visit?

I printed a copy of the map, but its format is such that I do not think I can post it here.
Will try to add a link later.

Link to maps and article:
https://solarsystem.nasa.gov/news/2332/ ... in-the-us/

There is a detailed inset of the map just below Michigan as well as my area.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

That's a very neat map Fred! It looks like San Antonio, Camp Perry, Niagara Falls, and all of Lake Erie, would be great viewing venues on the afternoon of April 8th, 2024.
Last edited by butlersrangers on Mon Mar 20, 2023 11:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FredC

Post by FredC »

" Camp Perry, Niagara Falls, and all of Lake Erie" sounds like places you would rather go than Ohio?

I will have to look at the map again, but I was sure the area of totality was west of San Antonio.

Just looked at the path of the annular eclipse and our being 40 miles south of San Antonio puts us almost dead center. I still have that punched steel plate, I wonder what the annular images will look lie with that plate?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FredC - Camp Perry is in Ohio. There is lots of real cool stuff in Ohio.

The whole south shore of Lake Erie, running from Toledo, through Port Clinton, Cleveland, and on to Erie Pa. and Buffalo N.Y. appears to be in the path of the total eclipse, (as well as, parts of Ontario, Canada, that form the north shore of Lake Erie. The path also follows Lake Ontario and part of the St. Lawrence River).

It looks like there will be a great natural amphitheater for viewing the total eclipse.

BTW - I have no problem with Ohio. I spent a whole week in Toledo, one night!

Thanks for the map, my wife and I are now thinking about a cool destination to be on April 8, 2024!

Maybe Wapakoneta, Ohio? .... home of Neil Armstrong. "First Man on the Moon"!
Attachments
path of totality.jpg
path of totality.jpg (486.28 KiB) Viewed 3418 times

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Hmmm... Might have to plan an Ohio vacation for the 2024 Eclipse. I've been close once, but I've never experienced totality, and I'd like to add that one to my bucket list! Maybe make a trip down to Findley to visit some friends I have that live there!