"GTG Postal" mark on America Legion drill rifles

U.S. Military Krags
general ike

"GTG Postal" mark on America Legion drill rifles

Post by general ike »

Hello all been around military rifles for a long time now. I volunteered to clean up the local American Legion's drill riles. Low and behold there are some Krags in the mix. The Legion has been around a long time!

Most of the Krags have "GTG POTAL" markings on the side plates that have been individually stamped. One has the stamping on the butt stock with a big "25" and smaller "48" neatly stamped.

So does anyone know what this stands for? I rememeber reading something about this mark years ago but I could not find it anywhere. Were they rifles used for a specific match? What does GTG stand for other then a good to go :D !!!! I love the history of these rifles and these marks are part of it.

Any and all info would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks Ike

Dick Hosmer

Re: "GTG Postal" mark on America Legion drill rifles

Post by Dick Hosmer »

New one for me. Sorry - but is it "postal" or "potal"?

general ike

Post by general ike »

Dick thanks for the response!! I double checked and its postal for sure. What I do need to correct is that the butt plate definitely says "GTG" however the side plate appears to be stamped and might say "G GTG AL"?? I didn't photograph all of them but I think I remember some clearly marked as only "GTG", the one that I photographed is slightly different.

I remember someone posting something about it in the past but....

I wonder if the AL lent out rifles for a postal type of tournament and these are what the used back in the day?? Ike

Whig

Post by Whig »

Welcome to the Krag forum. I am intrigued by the fact that your local Legion still has Krag rifles sitting around! I think that's fantastic. Do they still use them for any ceremonies? I have no idea what the markings mean. Did you check with any older members of the legion? Maybe they have some significance to your specific organization. Keep researching and take some pictures for us. Are they chromed or nickel plated? Some of them had the bores welded shut or the bolts decommissioned.

Thanks for sharing.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

"POSTAL" likely stands for "Post American Legion".

The "G.T.G." stamp is likely initials or rank & initials of the Post's Honoree.

general ike

Post by general ike »

Thank you for the welcome. The Krags were buried in the back of the rack, not really used for ceremonies, from what I am told, they simple use the garands for parade and volleys. They also have a few 1903s as well. The Krags are not chrome or nickel, just finished as the were originally and seem to be functional and unaltered. The Garands have had the barrels and gas cylinders welded shut so cleaning is a pain.

Sadly no one in the posts knows much. In fact I am not really a member but just trying to help out. Up to now no one knew or preformed the basic maintaince of the garands and they started to malfunction. But the post has been around for a loooooong time. I envision Krags coming in first then pushed to the side for the 1903s and then the Garands as each became surplused.

"POSTAL" likely stands for "Post American Legion". Interesting, although there is clearly no separation between post and AL. With regards to ""G.T.G." stamp is likely initials or rank & initials of the Post's Honoree" If true the were quite the person. All the Krags if I m not mistaken have the same intitials. The AL name ? it doesnt match but i will double check.

UPDATE: Well that's embarrassing!!!!! GTG is the initials for the legion, Griswold-Terry-Glover. Well that was simple!!!! I am not sure why I envisioned something more historical!!!!!

How does one post pics nowadays? I assume you need a host? Which site is free???

Thanks again all greatly appreciated!!! Ike

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Griswold Terry Glover Post 803 - American Legion: What city, state, or locale?

Southold, N.Y. ?
Attachments
Griswold Terry Glover Post.jpg
Griswold Terry Glover Post.jpg (159 KiB) Viewed 739 times

general ike

Post by general ike »

Yep that is the one! Well that was a simple mystery!!!

Trying to post some pics. Does this forum need a hosting site for pictures? If so what is everyone using lately??? Thanks ike

general ike

Post by general ike »

Yep that is the one! Well that was a simple mystery!!! Thanks for the help in solving it!!!! Greatly appreciated. On to cleaning them up to help preserve them even though they are not being used I cannot see them sitting like that!!!

Trying to post some pics. Thanks ike
IMG_7152.JPG
IMG_7152.JPG (73.22 KiB) Viewed 720 times
IMG_7151.JPG
IMG_7151.JPG (66.85 KiB) Viewed 720 times
IMG_7150.JPG
IMG_7150.JPG (84.04 KiB) Viewed 720 times
DSC_5503.JPG
DSC_5503.JPG (77.14 KiB) Viewed 720 times
My other hobby. In front of the Legion on Veterans Day and a poppy field like above!!!! Ike

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

What I see doesn't look bad.

Careful with "CLEANING", I'm not sure exactly what you mean.

The goal should be preservation, while keeping any original finish and honest patina.

Thanks for posting about these American Legion Krag rifles and your photos.
Attachments
GTG-803-edit.JPG
GTG-803-edit.JPG (784.33 KiB) Viewed 697 times
GTG-stock-ed.JPG
GTG-stock-ed.JPG (170.45 KiB) Viewed 697 times