More Am Legion Rifles

U.S. Military Krags
Cat Man

More Am Legion Rifles

Post by Cat Man »

An earlier post discussed markings on Krag rifles at an American Legion post. I'll offer a little more related information.
Some Krag rifles do remain in the possession of veterans organizations. These Krag rifles and later 1903 types and M1 Garand's were loaned too organizations for parade and burial salute details.
Organizations including American Legion and VFW posts received equipment under federal law 32 CFR 6235. By that law rifles are to be returned to the Army when no longer required or replaced by later equipment.

Firearms excess to Army requirements were transferred to the Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM) who sold them to individuals. The DCM has been replaced by the Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP). The CMP continues to receive excess material from the US Government. The CMP can inspect, repair and sell firearms and other related equipment to support its marksmanship mission.
Veterans organizations do continue to return Krag Rifles in small numbers from time to time and they are sold to private citizens through CMP outlets. My observations of Krag rifles sold through CMP in recent years
run from very poor condition to very good.

After many years sitting in the rifle rack at the VFW post and after many changes in post quartermasters and commanders the disposition of the rifles and the requirements of turn in under CFR 32 can be long forgotten. In those cases with small town veterans posts closing their doors and disbanding, rifles have been sold at retail through local outlets. Usually without any much government action. As a side note, larger property like that artillery piece or WWII tank on display in front of the VFW can go missing. No one remembers how it got there and the government does come looking for it and the people that sold it. That situation can become very sticky.

I took this picture of a group of Krags at an American Legion post in a small town in Nebraska a couple years ago. They were hosting our travel group for lunch. I inquired about them. The post commander said the rifles had always been there. No idea what they were or what to do with them but they were "Old". We didn't have time to open the display for me. But they looked to be very good.

Jeff The Caterpillar Man
Attachments
185.JPG
185.JPG (548.88 KiB) Viewed 442 times

butlersrangers

Re: More Am Legion Rifles

Post by butlersrangers »

Thanks Jeff, interesting details! I suspected such.

I think it is very nice when such Krags are on secure public display at a Veterans' Post.
It would be a shame if they got into the hands of someone, who would just 'part them out'.