Newbie Member says Hello!

For poking fun and off topic subjects
kenm

Newbie Member says Hello!

Post by kenm »

Hey everyone,

My name is Ken and I'm new to Krag and Milsurp collecting. I'm absolutely fascinated by Krags and have purchased 2 so far.
I'm not new to guns as I'm a Maryland CCW instructor and am a member of a couple of collector groups.
I work in information technology and do some web development when time allows.
I have multiple interests in firearms including M1903s, and of course Krags (so far my favorite).
But where can you get ammo of brass for a Krag (I've only seen one place and it was $100 for 20 rounds!)?

Currently, I'm in search of an M1 Garand.

I look forward to interacting and maybe meeting you all..

Thanks,
-Ken

Whig

Re: Newbie Member says Hello!

Post by Whig »

Ken- Welcome to the KCA! You can certainly learn a lot about your "favorite" mil surp rifles here and we'll help you enjoy Krags as much as we can. The ammo thing has been a problem for quite a while. I have seen some .30-40 Krag ammo for sale at local guns stores in my travels, some at very reasonable prices. But, as you stated, I have also seen some for $2-3 per round. Many of us reload and have accumulated good stores of brass, powder, primers and bullets for our Krag addiction. Graf sells brass frequently. I see Krag ammo being sold at auctions on the internet also but prices can run high. Be cautious with vintage Krag ammunition because the necks and heads can crack and become unsafe to use. I have shot a lot of vintage ammo and actually had a lot of it shoot well without duds or hang fires but I examine cases carefully afterwards and throw out split cases.

If you can post pictures of your Krags, we'd love to see them.

Also, CMP has racks of Garands available, if you meet the reasonable requirements to buy from them. I just made a trip to the north store in Ohio and picked up a couple. They are great help in assisting you to pick one out and you can buy them through the mail. Shipping is free!

Where in Maryland are you? So few people can get a CCW in Kommi Maryland, I'm surprised you can get any business! (I used to live in Ellicott City.)

Welcome!

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

As a side note I am in Fredrick this weekend wirth my partner visiting my her father.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Do you stop in Gun Runners downtown when you're there? I've bought a few rifles from Bob over the years including a nice Krag carbine!

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

No, will have to try to find him next time we are down. Been looking for decent gun shops in the Frederick area with little luck

Whig

Post by Whig »

Second floor downtown shop. He's on the web with directions. Nice little shop and he frequently has a nice selection of mil surp firearms. Great person also.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Thanks for the info don't know how I missed him, did a few asearches over the years and have beenin that general area a number of times! Will make it a point to get there next visit

kenm

Post by kenm »

Hi,

I'm in Baltimore and yes until the Supreme Court smacked them, it was almost impossible for a regular citizen to get a license. Now we're busy as folks are coming out to get licensed.
Unfortunately, the criminal-friendly legislature is busy trying to restrict where legal citizens can carry (as if criminals will follow those laws).

Anyhow, my first Krag was purchased on gunbroker you can see it here: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/966481865

I just thought it was a very unique gun and it was the predecessor to my 1st 1903 Springfield. My grandson said "Let's get that it's cool" so we bid and got it.

But then after a little digging, I found out what sporterized meant (lol, but we still like the gun and have field-stripped it and replaced the missing screw).

We also bid on a few guns at an auction and that's where we won the 2nd Krag (pics linked).
Right View https://militariausa.com/pics/krag_3301 ... t_view.JPG
Auction Tag https://militariausa.com/pics/krag_330195_tag_left.JPG
Receiver https://militariausa.com/pics/krag_3301 ... _right.JPG
Tag https://militariausa.com/pics/krag_330195_tag.JPG

Incidentally, this all started because a very nice club member gave us an M1903 Springfield that appears to have belonged to the 25th Mass Infantry Company B (according to the SRS).

We bought an M1903 to learn on from gunbroker https://www.gunbroker.com/item/966494472 we intend to shoot it as it's a sporter with a floated barrel.

We are studying lots of books (grandson loves to read real books) and probably won't buy any more sporters. We will carefully scout what we want M1903 & Krag-wise.
After we get the Garand we'll be learning but unless we visit the CMP or a deal drops in our laps we're probably done for a while as we learn more and work on these.

Let me know if you have any insights..
Thanks,
-Ken

PS
If anyone's interested in the Brophy "The Krag Rifle" book, I wound up with an extra... WTS

Whig

Post by Whig »

There's a lot to learn but this is the place to learn it all! I could ramble on for hours about sporterized Krags and military ones. But, you'll learn a ton from looking at older posts, pictures and reading through your Poyers. I have only been collecting, shooting, cleaning, fixing and reloading for Krags for about 15 years but some of the members here have been doing it for 50! (or more) So, a lot of wisdom to share. I do advise learning as much as you can and buying real Krags and no more sporters. You can shoot those but real Krags, in military configuration as made at Springfield Armory, are much nicer.

So spend some time looking through the archives and asking any questions. Welcome.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

kenm wrote: Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:26 pm But where can you get ammo of brass for a Krag (I've only seen one place and it was $100 for 20 rounds!)?
Aye. There's the rub. Where indeed. I just got done doing a stroll on gunbroker for the first time in a year or two. Broker is the right word. I saw two auctions for .30-40 ammo. One had seventeen bids and was at 3.75 a round. The other had nine bids and was at 4.38 dollars with a buy it now of $5.25. SWEET JESUS! And the ever popular, "What the Heck?".

So the grandson is into Krags and 1903s with you? How much ammo are you sitting on and what do you need? I just happen to be visiting a preacher buddy north of Frederick. Are you looking for ammo or just brass?

Reloading is in your future if you are not already doing so. Powders are coming back but primers are still problematic. Save every piece of good Krag brass without exception. Don't hot rod your loads. The rifles will thank you. The brass drought will be with us for another four years is my guess and when another run does come to market buy as much as your check book and the Missus can stand. Remember you're buying for two now.

Captain Culpeper
Late of the KCA Africa Corps
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio