Finally checking in

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Ngrovcam

Finally checking in

Post by Ngrovcam »

Greetings, all.
Please forgive this much-delayed introduction!
I’ve been registered for a while, and am finally getting around to participating.
I’m Rob.
Collected Civil War since ‘68.
Firearms-wise, I lean towards Garands,
03’s and trapdoors.
And, yes, there is a Krag in the stable.
Just one. A 92/96, clocking in at #14050.
I’ve had her stashed away in the gun cabinet since about ‘73, or so. Never fired her.
But, I hope to find a stablemate or two for her, soon.
One of the reasons I finally jumped in here is because I find the science of the Krag to be daunting! As I tried to sort out my rifle, I found myself truly bewildered.
I need to buy some books and do some serious reading.
Most importantly, I want to compliment some of the old and not-so-old hands on this forum.
Your knowledge, willingness to share, civility, and welcoming attitudes, truly stand out from most other gun forums I’m watch.
I look forward to participating.
Not much I can add, but I’ll sure try to be a sponge.

Whig

Re: Finally checking in

Post by Whig »

Wow! You've been a collector a long time. I'd love to see some pictures of some of your treasures. The Krags are a favorite of mine and I collect a variety of firearms also. I like older Colts and Marlin lever actions, especially .22LRs. The Model 1992/96 are an interesting variety of Krag. They can be strikingly different with a different collection of upgrades, different parts and stocks. I like the filled in Ram Rod channels especially, Different types of those, also. I've also always been interested in the wide variety of rear sights for the Krag over its life span. I have built up a nice collection of the rear sights by themselves. Lots of fun with Krags.

But the most fun that you have put off since 73 is actually shooting them! Most of us reload out of necessity and enjoyment. It is apparently more difficult than ever to find Krag ammunition at a fair price. Some comments have been made about Krag ammo selling on Gun Broker for $4-5 a round! Amazing. I guess I'm glad to have enough resources and brass to keep me going for a while. I still see boxes at Local Gun Stores in my travels for around $2 a round. Still expensive but better than Gun Breaker!

Post pictures and tell us more about what you have. Welcome!!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Rob' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. We appreciate your participation!

I always find that we learn from each other.

Questions and studying pictures of members Krags (to provide insights), gets us 'hitting the books', reviewing notes, and re-examining what we thought we knew.

I am glad that you regard this forum as civil, kind and helpful.

By all means, build a Krag Library, it will increase your knowledge and enjoyment of your Krag rifle, which as 'Whig' mentioned, you should be shooting!

Ngrovcam

Post by Ngrovcam »

I'm a true child of the Fifties...computers, heck, even transistor radioes, are way over my head...but, if I can figure out how to post some pictures, I will do so.
Thank you, all.

Ngrovcam

Post by Ngrovcam »

Ok, folks…I have tried and failed to post photos…
Even one photo seems to be too large a file.
I must be doing something wrong…go figure.
Any suggestions?

Ngrovcam

Post by Ngrovcam »

OK, folks.
I have tried and failed to post photos.
Even when trying to post one image, with no text, I get a message telling me the file is too large.
Obviously, I’m doing something wrong…go figure.
Any suggestions?

(Perhaps, based upon my technological challenges, Krags are too sophisticated…maybe, I should revert to trapdoors?)

FredC

Post by FredC »

To save a little time I am linking a reply I made to another member on how I reduce the photo size.
http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.co ... 145#p43145

Again by renaming it and deleting the result if it is not right, you preserve the original untouched if you need to try again.
Welcome to the KCA as a posting member. :-)

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Ngrovcam wrote: Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:33 pm OK, folks.
I have tried and failed to post photos.
Even when trying to post one image, with no text, I get a message telling me the file is too large.
Obviously, I’m doing something wrong…go figure.
Any suggestions?
Just open your photo in MS Paint and resize in equal parts the horizontal and vertical. My camera make pics that are 4 meg in size. I save as a new file name and reduce from there. Usually 40 percent gets me close then I fine tune from there. You can resize to whatever percentage you want just ensure you make a copy first.

Never work on your original unless you "save as" another name.

If this knuckle dragger can do it, by golly, I have faith in you that you can do it.
(Perhaps, based upon my technological challenges, Krags are too sophisticated…maybe, I should revert to trapdoors?)
Now that is just plain crazy talk. And I am unanimous in that. Everyone knows there is no such thing as the Trapdoor Collectors Association and Forum. You are in the right place and are in midst of brothers. Pffft. Trapdoors. (looking down my nose) Nobody ever shoots nineteenth century guns. Oh. Wait. :shock: :D

All the best!
Last edited by Culpeper on Wed Sep 06, 2023 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

waterman

Post by waterman »

Welcome, Rob.

I'm Waterman, live between the redwoods and the deep blue sea. Mainly. I'm a single shot guy, got bit by that bug back in the early 60s. Spent 6 hours today teaching offhand target shooting using 2 of my Winders.

Bought my first Krag in a Chinese pawn shop on King Street in Honolulu in 1962, a 96 turned into a sporter by Bannerman, somewhere along the line fitted with what might be some sort of turned down machine gun barrel. That one was my "behind the truck seat" rifle for the 30+ years I was a forester and hydrologist. I'm at least as interested in what talented & intelligent gunsmiths have done with the Krag action as I am in the purist military stuff. Also into Krags with Stevens-Pope or just plain Pope barrels.

A Krag is an almighty fast operating bolt action, dandy for old-timey hunting. With one in the chamber and 5 good round-nosed loads in the magazine, you can get off 6 aimed shots in under 10 seconds once you learn how. A lot of guys have Krags and never figure that out.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Howdy Rob... Welcome to the KCA Forum! You'll never find a greater bunch of guys than you will here...

Paul here! I'm a collector/shooter of sorts, in that I have a small collection and shoot everything I have. I have a Garand, 03A3, 03A4, M1 Carbine, SMLE, K31, Type 99 Arisake and three Krags - a WW1 Veteran 1898, an 1896 and a cutdown sporter. The Krags are absolutely Hands-Down my favorites!!! There is just nothing smoother or better to shoot!!! I shoot my 98 often... especially in vintage rifle matches.

Oh, and I have an AR and a couple antique shot guns too... a Stevens single shot, and my grandfather's mint 1949 manufactured Ithica Model 37 Featherlight! My most recent acquisition (2 weeks ago) is a Sears and Roebuck tube-fed 22 Automatic rifle that I discovered in the library at Cabelas for an astonishing $75... that I just couldn't pass up!

By the way, I'm also big into shooting competitively with my antique milsurp, and I compete every year in the National Rifle Matches at Camp Perry.