Finally checking in

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Re: Finally checking in

Post by butlersrangers »

Hey Waterman, share some photos of your Winder rifles and 'machine-gun barrel' Krag sometime!
Attachments
Winder-sitting.jpg
Winder-sitting.jpg (190.69 KiB) Viewed 862 times
Wash DC - girls-centHS-1922.jpg
Wash DC - girls-centHS-1922.jpg (89.44 KiB) Viewed 862 times

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Hey Rob,
Looks like we are doing introductions here, so I'll go ahead with mine. My interest with firearms started with hunting deer in Wisconsin. First rifle was a lever action. Moved to Illinois as an adult where it was shotgun or muzzleloading only for deer. So I got into muzzleloading. Taken deer with my 30-30, percussion rifle, flintlock rifle, smoothbore flintlock fowler and compound bow. Got interested in the Krag-Jorgensen rifle due to my Norwegian heritage. Found out I have a great-grandfather that was in the Army during the Filipino Insurrection and the Boxer Rebellion carrying a Krag Model 1898. Decided I needed to graduate to a bolt action rifle for hunting. Got a Wisconsin black bear a few years ago with my Model 1896 sporterized Krag (on the small side, but I still counted coup). My next challenge will be hunting with a Model 1884 Trapdoor using 45-70 black powder cartridge. This Trapdoor has been cut down at the stock and barrel, studded with old tacks, reported to have been Native American owned. Action works great and I have shot it.
So welcome to the forum where we like to share info on the Krag.

Ngrovcam

Post by Ngrovcam »

Hey, y’all!
(I’m from SOUTHERN New York…)

So nice to hear back from you all, and I really appreciate the good humor all around. The welcoming “vibe” is great!

I am going to take all your advice and see if I can’t reduce my pics and post a few.

Just gimme a little time and we’ll get ‘er done.
I wouldn’t want to let down such good folks!
(At least, not without a really solid try…)

My 92/96 is probably ho-hum to most of you, but I love the old girl…in the 14,xxx range…I think originally built in ‘94, with the square cleaning rod channel plug.

Stay tuned!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

So it has a cut down rifle stock? Does it have a M1903 front sight?

Everyone here is jazzed about Krags no matter the condition. Sure, we see many bubba Krags that guys find or are handed down to them in their families but we see quality work from early gunsmiths from the '20s and '30s, too. Doesn't matter. If you own a Krag, you're a brother. Of course, rare Krags are always a treat to see and sometimes shoot.

Now that you have come to the light and dwell in promised land of the Mighty Krag. Say it with me. Land of the MIGHTY KRAG! Raise your eyes to the heavens and repent for neglecting your Krag, Sinner.

You must provide a range report for the chuch to absolve you of your sin.

Brother Culpeper
Deacon

On a serious note. You had this thing stored away for years did you have ammo stored away, too?
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio