rough riders

For poking fun and off topic subjects
kab37

rough riders

Post by kab37 »

Just watched miniseies Rough Riders. Was really impressed. The regular infantry carried Krag rifles, the Rough Riders carried Krag carbines and the 71st. New York '84 Springfields. Portrayl of TR and Gnl Wheller great. Bucky O'Neil was outstanding.

Only one I didn't like was Black Jack.

Thoughts ?

Capt. Frank

Re: rough riders

Post by Capt. Frank »

The regular Army had Krags in Cuba, the National Guard and reserves had Trap Door Springfields.

kab37

Post by kab37 »

Isn't that what I wrote ? Was amazed at the accvuracy of the weapons, etc. Liked TR and Bucky's '95 Winchesters, too. Great acting./

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

Which miniseries — reason I ask there has been some movies/television shows. I watched one that was tough to see — must have been from the 80s (actually 1997, I must have had a bad copy).

1997 — Rough Riders - Tom Berenger, Samual Elliot, and Gary Busey
1927 — The Rough Riders

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The OP is referring to the 1997 film. A good degree of care went into the guns, costuming, characterizations and props for the movie. The template obviously was 'Teddy' Roosevelt's book, "The Rough Riders".

Colonel Leonard Wood and Asst. Secretary of the Navy, Roosevelt, used their Army and Political Connections to get Krag Carbines and get the Volunteer Regiment to Florida. 'Pulling Strings' also got part of the Regiment to Cuba, (minus horses).

Captain 'Bucky' O'Neill used up all his gambler's luck, while 'steadying' his men before the assault. They urged him to take cover and not be a prominent target.

His reply was something to the effect: "They haven't made the Spanish bullet that can kill me"! Reportedly, this was said moments before he was fatally shot in the head.
(It's not good to tempt God ... maybe, it was a German made bullet)?
Attachments
buckey-oneill.jpg
buckey-oneill.jpg (14.37 KiB) Viewed 336 times