Is it a real carbine or a Frankenstein

U.S. Military Krags
Dick Hosmer

Re: Is it a real carbine or a Frankenstein

Post by Dick Hosmer »

OK, thanks! I knew it wasn't right, just couldn't remember the context.

tke466

Post by tke466 »

Hi. Finally got my first Krag. Found it at a gun show... Looked right to me so I bought it. Got home and bought a book, I know wrong of me. But hey, I have a huge collection, so I think I've gotten good at spotting BS. Happens to be a 1898 Carbine. Had no idea they are rare. It was rearsenaled in 1901 I believe. I doubt you have this serial logged. 127650

Sights: 1901 rear C marked. C marked blade. C is visible, leading me to believe it is a Type 2 as described by Poyer. Appropriate for the 1901 rear

Stock: M1899 carbine, 1901 dated. Type 7 handguard. Type 3 band. Metal wear indicates it has only worn this configuration, which supposed the 1901 upgrade only theory. Barrel wear under the front band is distinct.

Barrel is 22" right on the number. Proper rounded crown.

Will start a new thread with pictures.

Jeremy

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Welcome to the Greatest Krag forum on the Planet, tke466! Pull up a stool and lean back for a spell. The smarter guys will be along in a bit.

You technical points are noted but what is a chance getting some photos posted so we can share in your excitement. Of course you would be sharing with the world in internetland. But pictures go a long way don'tcha know.

There is no hit in Mr. Mallory's The Krag Rifle Story 2nd edition but there are serial numbers on either side showing it is in the range of M1898 rifles. Soooooo. You may want to share a few good photos just to get some helpful opinions. I am thinking another carbine has been discovered! Good on you! What a great day.

All the best.

Culpeper
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

tke466

Post by tke466 »

Culpeper wrote: Fri Apr 14, 2023 2:15 am Welcome to the Greatest Krag forum on the Planet, tke466! Pull up a stool and lean back for a spell. The smarter guys will be along in a bit.

You technical points are noted but what is a chance getting some photos posted so we can share in your excitement. Of course you would be sharing with the world in internetland. But pictures go a long way don'tcha know.

There is no hit in Mr. Mallory's The Krag Rifle Story 2nd edition but there are serial numbers on either side showing it is in the range of M1898 rifles. Soooooo. You may want to share a few good photos just to get some helpful opinions. I am thinking another carbine has been discovered! Good on you! What a great day.

All the best.

Culpeper
Thanks for the welcome Culpeper. I know how the surveys are important... should be logged whatever it is. Yes, posted pictures in a new thread so catch me over there... don't want to further hijack this thread. Jeremy

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'tke466' - Welcome to the KCA Forum. It will be enjoyable to study photos of your potential model 1898 carbine.

I enjoy the convenience, tables, and graphics of Joe Poyer's Krag book.
However, a major criticism of his book is his 'numbered types' to classify part variations.
His 'types' are not used by other authors or most experienced Krag enthusiasts.

A lot of the evolution of Krag models and part changes are documented in Ordnance Reports and changing Krag manuals.
Part and model changes have been better explained by other authors, (Mallory, Brophy, Canfield, and Joe Farmer).

Poyer's 'types' are his invention and grate on the nerves. They are not official terminology.

IMO - Updated model 1898 carbines, for value purposes, fall in the same price range as model 1899 carbines. They are virtually identical.

The most desirable model 1898 carbines are in their original configuration, with the shorter carbine stock, saddle ring & bar, sight protecting barrel-band, and model 1896 carbine sight. Very few of these exist.

There are a lot of fake carbines.