The run up to Garand matches

Other Firearms
Culpeper

Re: The run up to Garand matches

Post by Culpeper »

Alrighty. I think I have the gun dialed in. The rear sight is on the center mark and I moved the front sight just a frog hair and this is the result. I wihiffed a shot down on the six ring. Sheesh.

Now I have to get off the bench and do some standing and prone shooting practice.
Attachments
Dialed in Garand today.jpg
Dialed in Garand today.jpg (550.84 KiB) Viewed 1756 times
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Whig

Post by Whig »

Very nice. Great shooting day. Any short stroking issues with the higher load?

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

None whatsoever. It was the op rod. I changed it out with another I bought years ago. The one that came with the rifle must be out of spec. The square guide tab is messed up on it. This rifle is one of two first Garands I got from the CMP in 2000. Didn't start shooting it until now. Last year I was shooting it's 3.4 million twin but I sold that one to a buddy of mine.

I have a couple other Garands I need to get in the rotation but I think I will work with the Krags for the rest of April and May.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Sounds like you have things sorted out pretty well!!!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Maybe I don't have it quite nailed down. The rifle from the bench I would say is fairly good to go. The human? Eh, not so much.

I have to focus on me now. I am going to make the effort to shoot on a daily basis. Do not be fooled with the prone rapid string. That was not me. Well, it was me but I had an assist from the gentleman to my right. He shot the wrong target. There is a story for that but I will leave it alone.

But I came in a third. ...in a field of four. Would have been fourth if not for the error.
Attachments
Garand match score.jpg
Garand match score.jpg (129.66 KiB) Viewed 1606 times

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Just to ease your mind slightly... there is no sitting string when firing in an official GVSM (Garand, Vintage, Springfield, or Modern Military) match, including at Camp Perry. You'll only have to worry about slow-fire prone, rapid-fire prone from standing (stand, drop to prone to fire 10 shots in 80 seconds), and off-hand/standing. The rapid-fire prone CAN be started in the prone position... but the caviot is that you cannot actually win a match if you tie with someone who shoots the same exact score but started standing.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

That's good info. My uber major concern is standing without sling. Time to start loading some cartridges this morning. I've been looking at videos on real shooting positions. Even watched the 1942 Army training film.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Standing is MY uber concern too... and I've been doing this for more than a decade! LOL Off hand isn't called "Awful Hand" for no reason, LOL

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

I watched a great video on the M1907 sling use (prone position only) — best instructional I seen yet. Back in the 1990’s the USMC just had us use our web slings. I like the speed and use of the M1907 leather sling. Oh, don’t even think about using a hasty sling in offhand — immediate disqualification.

M1907 Sling YouTube Video

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

In some CMP Matches, 'shooters' are disqualified if they don't have the sling on the rifle in the 'offhand' and other positions. Know your Match rules!

Sling use has evolved over the ages. Ezekiel Baker was an advocate in the early 1800's. (Culpeper, don't get any ideas about using your hat! Use Steinmayer's).

Col. Townsend Whelen had the Army Team using the Krag "carry strap", in the 1903 National Matches, with an interesting arrangement.
Attachments
Baker_on_Rifle.jpg
Baker_on_Rifle.jpg (56.32 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
Baker2.jpg
Baker2.jpg (71.13 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
Baker1.jpg
Baker1.jpg (65.85 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
NM1903_005.jpg
NM1903_005.jpg (74.67 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
Krag 1887 shooting-sling.jpg
Krag 1887 shooting-sling.jpg (121.49 KiB) Viewed 1494 times