Baltimore Gun Show AAR

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Culpeper

Baltimore Gun Show AAR

Post by Culpeper »

You guys don't know what your missing. Lots of stuff to see. There were Trapdoors, and a smattering of Krags and, of course, plenty of black powder guns. I did notice there was an abundance of over priced M1903s, M1917s and especially Garands at the show. I made a comment to my buddy that the sign at the door said no post 1898 guns allowed or some such thing. He gave me a shrug. What ever works I guess. You would have thought some of the Garands were made of gold though. They were the recent ones from the CMP with Criterion barrels and new wood and the owners want two grand and a fraction for some of them.

Moving on.

I saw KenM at his table. Did I say it was a great show? Anyway I told him so. I walked the tables and then saw a table where a cluster of guys were looking at a note book with KCA pictures. Two of the felllows were wearing shirts the read Krag Collectors Association. I have at last met Ned and Tom. Or is it they have met me? Great guys. The best was meeting the owner of the table. The Great Tom Pearce. The one and only. He is like a god to me. I base my life on his teachings. Have you ever seen the Cardinals in Rome genuflect and kiss the Pope's ring? That was me. (It was a real and great admiration for his work and a small bit of trying to get a laugh)

Let me tell you of Tom's #5. It is a unique rifle. Truly a beautiful gun. The photos just do not do it justice. I was tempted to do the "LOOK! HALLEY'S COMET!" routine and run off with it while yelling "Precious, my Precious". Though thinking back, I think it was done in a movie some time ago. I would have the photographers at the NRA Museum do a professional photo shoot of it. Just saying. Hint hint.
https://kragcollectorsassociation.org/k ... php?t=6504

As always I try to record serial numbers for posterity. I tried to be accurate with the serial numbers but you know the stamping can be problematic. The only thing I collected were the numbers and a couple of notes. Next year I am going to use a regular note pad instead of the back of my entry ticket. One of them was a receiver only. I did not note which one it was though.

M1894R 10945 92/96 config
M1894R 12762
M1894R 42977
1896C 32292
M1896C 74383
M1896C 78833
M1898R 178xxx Sporter with redfield peep sight
M1898R 180292
M1898R 205663
M1898R 261368
M1898R 385240
M1898R 397428
M1898R 430801
M1898R 471060

Added: And I managed to pick up a M1901 carbine rear sight. Yippee!
Last edited by Culpeper on Sun Mar 19, 2023 9:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: Baltimore Gun Show AAR

Post by Ned Butts »

It was indeed an excellent show. It was a pleasure (really) to meet Culpeper also Baltimoreed (sp?) who we found talking to KCA Founding member Charlie Wheeler. And it was wonderful to see and visit with Tom Pearce after a number of years absence. Regretably we were unable to track down KenM before we had to leave.
There where at least a couple of '92's there, one purchased by Charlie Wheeler that we got a very close look at and another with a solid front band. Unfortunatly I am always consumed with looking and forget to record serial numbers like Culpeper :(
Looking forward to next year already!!

Whig

Post by Whig »

I was born and raised outside of Baltimore but rarely get back there anymore. You guys sure sound like you had a great time and meeting real KCA people all in one place sounds wonderful.

I'm still watching out for a solid front band. Have only seen a couple. I think only about 2,000 of them were made, so, they are usually seen alongside of some hen's teeth! I'll keep looking.

Culpeper- what'd you have to pay for the M1901 carbine sight? I was able to find a nice condition one for a good price recently. We always need to be looking out for these special items.

It's nice to hear about the early Krags at shows like this and see some of the serial numbers. Thanks for sharing your great weekend!

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Hey Culeper I am quite sure the sign read no post 1898 HANDGUNS
Saw a few Garands at fair prices acouple of the more recent CMP looking ones with new replacement stocks for $1,000 and one maybe two with original wood albeit well worn for $1,200 but they were the few among the many Garands. There certainly were no bargins on '03's, A3's or 1917's as you stated! Would have liked to have found a representative A3 but not this weekend, the second show we hit this weekend at Split Rock PA was a huge dissappointment. Much smallwer than in the past and prices higher than Balto on the few milsurps that were there. Was hopeing for some reloading goods as in the past there have been at least two vendors that specialized in such but not to be this year.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Ned, I've read so much about gun shows drying up for bargains anymore. Sad commentary. Everything is so different.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

You could be right about it being handguns, Ned.

The carbine sight set me back a hundred and ninety. No screws with it.

What does a solid front band look like?

Yep. Times, they are a changing. And it is only going to get worst.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Baltimoreed

Post by Baltimoreed »

I did find a nice M38 1942 Swede Husqvarna for 695.00 plus 20.00 for a background ck. As I’m not a ax murderer, illegal alien, legal alien or a politician I passed. Not as big of a show as the last two years I’m afraid, not as crowded either. I hope it’s not a trend. As has been said prices were up for 03s, garands and 1907s. I enjoyed meeting KCA members. I’ve had a good weekend with old friends, the MACA show and some good food. Tomorrow I return home. I’ll post photos tomorrow of my find.

Whig

Post by Whig »

The top solid barrel band is, uh, solid. The top open part we well know for our Krag bands was all filled in and continuous.

Brophy has one of the better pictures. Sorry, I don't have a real one to demonstrate! I'm still looking for one.
Attachments
IMG_0001.jpg
IMG_0001.jpg (536.39 KiB) Viewed 808 times

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

... As I’m not a ax murderer, illegal alien, legal alien or a politician I passed. ...

Could be a ruse. What was Babe Ruth's hat size? How many french fries can I stuff up my nose? Why is rabbit crap round?

You are who you say you are if you get zero questions correct.

Right. I will have to look at #71 and #112 and see what they are wearing.

kenm

Post by kenm »

Hey guys,
It was a Great Show for me as always..
Unfortunately, I missed you guys and "Krag Collector Shirts"! (wow that's exclusive!).
I did see my buddy Culpepper and he's right on about the show.

Some vendors must have gold glasses on when looking to price their stuff, but there were some deals to be had.
Trapdoors were all around I saw pricing from $777 for some really decent ones and to the sky for a lot of them.
I did a prearranged pickup of:
1) Garand from a friend.
2) Springfield Model 1868 .50-70 Trapdoor Sporter Carbine (shooter-grade mutt)

03 Springfields were very pricey...

I should have collected serial numbers on everything.. will do better.

But I did take some pics... here are a few:

The Missing Link 1903 Sppringfield
(it's gas operated 1903 .. don't tell the climate types)

(here's the document.. hope it's readable)

Trapdoors were represented

Of course lots of Toys..

There were many, many tables...

Hope to catch you at another show..