KCA "bots"

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

KCA "bots"

Post by butlersrangers »

Why do we usually have more "bots" on the KCA Forum than real users?

Are they good bots or bad bots?

Can bots be eliminated?
Attachments
Mr. Potato.jpg
Mr. Potato.jpg (71.86 KiB) Viewed 419 times

P0H0

Re: KCA "bots"

Post by P0H0 »

What do the bots want?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

What 'bots' do and why? ... that is the question!
Attachments
sniffing us out.jpg
sniffing us out.jpg (80.19 KiB) Viewed 399 times

waterman

Post by waterman »

I'll ask the same question. Why bots? Why this forum, unless it's just that we discuss "guns" and are therefore evil?

FredC

Post by FredC »

Think about someone who just bought a Krag and needs to ask an oddball question. Bots have searched the questions and answers on every imaginable subject and so your search engines can find the right answer to the question. A number of times we have searched for a lost thread and KCA's search function cannot find it but the Yahoo or Google search finds it right away. The bots have found the really obscure answers to questions that we did not phrase exactly right in or initial KCA search. I think I found KCA doing a search for 35/40 info many years ago.

But in the spirit of the funny answers, "BOTS , who needs them!"

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I am not very computer systems and operations 'smart'.

So, I try to keep my "paranoia" at a healthy therapeutic level.

There is a lot of discussion of 'cocking-pieces', 'butts', 'French-rubs', Spitzers and Spritzers on this forum, so I guess that makes us pretty evil!

.... and then there's 'Culpeper', hoarding toxic stuff down in his tunnels and bunkers!

I'm sure Brandon has the "bot vote".
Attachments
not the old party.jpg
not the old party.jpg (482.73 KiB) Viewed 361 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

Remembering back to 1980 before the KCA, internet and search engines. I probably pushed the pivot pin out of the trigger in the wrong direction and broke the trigger on my father's Krag. I ordered a new one from Numrich back then. It was a cast steel or iron piece of junk. Thinking that none were available in the world, I made one. Fast forward to today and I would have done a search and found info on the KCA about which direction to push that pin out and not broken the trigger. Even if I broke it before reading the correct way of doing it, guys on this forum would have saved me a weeks work building a new one by pointing me in the right direction for a replacement.

Glad there are bots and search engines. Probably not all bots are equal, there maybe some evil ones lurking here. Also a person with evil intent can search for info collected by an otherwise good bot. Hope that does not ruin your day.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Br,
I do not know if you remember, but there was a thread about birthdays some time back. I cautioned you all about giving out too much personal info even on a friendly site like KCA. I had a person in eastern Europe make 2 runs at applying for my Social Security. He knew my mother's correct maiden name, not one person in a hundred of her close friends knew that she went by her middle name not her first name. So many places that had my Social Security number have been hacked over the years i am not sure if I can count them all.
KCA does allow you to edit posts from long ago. If you can remember where that mentioned thread is it would not hurt to change or delete your B day.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FredC - You gave that 'Birthday Warning' (about potential Soc. Sec. fraud) on a thread involving Birth-Year Firearms.

Since my DNA indicates that I am part Thoroughbred racehorse, I believe that makes my birthday January 1st.

.... oh, my mistake, I'm part Percheron, that makes my birthday March 32nd! Hey, it's my birthday week!

Bots love SPAM. It's evil!
Attachments
rem-513.jpg
rem-513.jpg (72.78 KiB) Viewed 349 times
Spam - 85 birthday.jpg
Spam - 85 birthday.jpg (52.63 KiB) Viewed 349 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

We do want them to correctly index Krag info so that others find the site and the information we have compiled here. I think I see an effort to confuse the bots if they index your personal info. Your real name has been posted here a number of times. We could introduce a little confusion going forward. Who have you always wanted to be? Br's real name is --- Fill Inthe Blank.