1895 US Springfield Krag Bolt Action Cavalry Carbine ROUGH RIDERS SN *RARE*

U.S. Military Krags
Dick Hosmer

Re: 1895 US Springfield Krag Bolt Action Cavalry Carbine ROUGH RIDERS SN *RARE*

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Agree re auctions - I avoid them like the plague. Just had a very frustrating experience with L&G (whom I'd been warned against - but what are you going to do when a piece of unobtanium comes up?). Auction houses stick it to both buyer and seller, and, if you read the fine print, are responsible for virtually nothing.

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

Oh wow! That price did certainly shoot way up.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Well, the buyer has posted on Facebook, asking for comments. He states that his 3rd great GF was a Rough Rider, and he seems quite happy with his purchase. I told him it certainly appeared to be a real carbine, but that an RR association was definitely speculative.

Whig

Post by Whig »

I've just about given up on Gun Broker, selling and buying. I sold a couple things recently and, only recently, did I realize I got screwed because Gun Broker charged my credit card for the tax "owed" on this out-of-state sale I made and it, apparently, was my duty to charge that tax to the buyer in addition to the sale price. So, I lost money because I had to pay the 10% or whatever to Gun Broker and the tax to Gun Broker that I, stupidly, didn't charge the buyer. At least ebay takes care of that for the seller. It is automatically charged to the buyer when a purchase is made. We get screwed no matter what.

I have been only selling stuff on Gun Boards recently. Personal sale, no other charges. So far it has worked out. I rarely buy from auction houses anymore. I still look and make bids once in a while but I'm so far behind in this market, my bids are almost laughable! It has gotten too expensive. These auction houses are making millions off of gun sales. Their take is around 40% of the total value of the firearms sold. What a racket!

I'm shocked at that carbine sale price, also. I have a bunch of carbines I certainly could make a mint off of with these crazy prices people are paying. Wow! Over $4,000!

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

Good to know info Whig — I’ve only purchased on GB.

I’ve been eyeing the SVT-40 listings, they are way up there in price too. I’m speculating, but I imagine if the economy tanks, we’ll see some more rifles going up on GB and prices come down. However, we have ejection year right around the corner too — may be wiser to stock up on more ammo while prices are lower.

Oh BTW, Remington replied to an inquiry of mine about 30-40 Krag — I was told they will be making a run this year.

BeardedRyno

Post by BeardedRyno »

I’m the new owner. Love my new purchase!

Whig

Post by Whig »

Welcome to KCA and the elite small group of Krag carbine owners! Please tell us more about yourself and your Krag interest. You sure got into the hobby in a big way. Congrats!

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

BeardedRyno wrote: Wed Mar 29, 2023 4:05 am I’m the new owner. Love my new purchase!
Hi BR and welcome!

Would definitely love to see some detailed photos and assessment once you have a chance to look over the rifle — how is the bore?

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Welcome to the forum, BeardedRyno. What is your fore father's name who served in the 1st US Volunteers?
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

P0H0 wrote: Tue Mar 28, 2023 8:45 pm Oh BTW, Remington replied to an inquiry of mine about 30-40 Krag — I was told they will be making a run this year.
That is good news for the newbie types like Kenm
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio