1895 US Springfield Krag Bolt Action Cavalry Carbine ROUGH RIDERS SN *RARE*

U.S. Military Krags
BeardedRyno

Re: 1895 US Springfield Krag Bolt Action Cavalry Carbine ROUGH RIDERS SN *RARE*

Post by BeardedRyno »

Hello everyone! I’m glad to be here! I am a member in Phoenix at the Buckey O’Neill Camp #175 - Arizona. My 3rd Great Grandpa was Edward Guy LeStourgeon, Troop F. His name is on the memorial in Prescott.

After the war, he came back and became a State Rep for Texas among being an editor of a bee keeping magazine.

I will attach more photos of the rifle once I get it in the mail. They told me they will be sending it tomorrow. Thank you for the warm welcome!

P.S. I tried to upload some photos I have of him but they are too large apparently.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Check the post on how to size a photo, just in case

https://kragcollectorsassociation.org/k ... php?t=6398

Culpeper the Magnificent
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

BeardedRyno

Post by BeardedRyno »

It has arrived! I have three days to look it over before sale is finale. Anything specific I should look for besides what I’ve seen in the pics on the post?

Whig

Post by Whig »

There's a lot to check out with a new Krag to make sure it is safe to shoot and not damaged or altered. Some Krags (very few) actually had the chambers resized for another caliber cartridge. But, the basics of operating the bolt, checking the function of the safety, trigger, open and close the magazine and look at the follower inside, look down the bore carefully with a bore light and see if the rifling is intact and if it needs cleaning, look at the sights and see if they work and look original, check the stock for cracks anywhere, etc. I love getting a new addition to my collection and checking it out for the first time. Look in the butt stock to see if it has any cleaning rods or an oiler.

And, please post pictures so we can enjoy your new treasure also! Congrats!

olderthansome

Post by olderthansome »

BeardedRyno wrote: Mon Apr 03, 2023 10:28 pm It has arrived! I have three days to look it over before sale is finale. Anything specific I should look for besides what I’ve seen in the pics on the post?
There are several details to check, but I don't have a full range of the changes as related to actual serial numbers. A couple of things you might be able to check is the stock deals as relates to cleaning rods and oiler and the bolt to verify the approximate period of its manufacture. The stocks for the 1895, beginning at approximately 23000, were cut for the 3 piece cleaning rods but were NOT cut for (or supplied with) an oiler. Unfortunately, I can't currently find the number at which the stocks began to appear WITH oilers. I have number 26681 and it does not have an oiler or the cut for its provision.

The early 1895 bolts had a vent hole that was later omitted. Again, I don''t have a range available, but 26681 does have one.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Well, not quite. ;)

The very first carbine stocks were cut for TWO rod holes, one above the other. VERY, VERY scarce today - I have 24893. Offhand, the oiler cut started around 1897, with some earlier arms being retro-fitted.

An 1895 carbine stock should have the same thin wrist as on the 1892 rifle. It is hard to believe that SA repeated the wrist "error" on the Krag, having just gone through the same thing on the .45-70 trapdoor, but they did.

The vent hole in the bolt was not eliminated - it was simply moved about a quarter-inch to the rear, where it is not as obvious at a quick glance.

Also, the extractor on an 1895 should have a sharp corner at lower rear, just ahead of sleeve.