180 gr RN Jacket Bullets

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Olpeddler

180 gr RN Jacket Bullets

Post by Olpeddler »

Hello All, I have not posted in a while because I have been out of Large Rifle primers and cannot locate any. But, the primer shortage is not the reason for this posting.
In my 1899 Krag carbine I get the best accuracy results using Hornady 180 gr and 220 gr Round Nose Interlock bullets. For the last 2 years Hornady has not produced any of the 180 gr round nose bullets although their 180 gr spitzers are still available. I called Hornaday and spoke with a Service Rep who was having quite a bad day. He told me that the 180 RN bullets are not on their production schedule, and he had no idea as to when they would be produced. So, my question is what other brand of 180 gr jacketed RN bullet would you recommend I try?
Thanks in advance for your help.

King carp

Re: 180 gr RN Jacket Bullets

Post by King carp »

I use the Speer 180 gr. round nose in my 30-40 and 30-06. They seem to work well. I stocked up years ago on these so i am not sure of their current production status. I also called Hornady about some components. It seems that unless its currently popular like 6.5 creedmore, .223, 9mm, etc. they will not be supplying any in the near future. Maybe try a call to Speer.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

For your primer problem. Yeah. The going rate is high compared to yesteryear. I recommend buying two 5,000 count case. You'll thank yourself in five years when they will be thirty-two cents each.

https://republicammunition.com/product/ ... e-primers/

https://republicammunition.com/product/ ... ers-rifle/

For your bullet issue. Have you considered 175 grain SMKs? I am starting a project of working up a good load for my rifles and carbines.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

ebruce

Post by ebruce »

Re: 180 gr. RN .30 Cal. bullets. Maybe this will help. I have had extremely good results using hard cast lead bullets purchased from Hunters Supply. I will be loading these for my Krag Infantry rifle (1902). I have used these bullets in my 03 and 03-A3 rifles as well as a Rem. 700 .30-06 rifle with simply outstanding results. Refer to current Lyman Reloading manual for loads, etc. For short range, I have used these bullets loaded with Unique or Red Dot powder with excellent groups, etc. Have even won some rifle matches firing these loads. If you are unable to find jacketed bullets to suit your needs, hopeful these cast lead bullets from Hunters Supply or some other source will be useful. You might also want to google an article entitled, "The Load," by C.E. Harris. It details his experience using such cast bullets w/ 13.0 gr. of Red Dot powder. HTH. Sincerely. bruce.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'ebruce' - Which weight and diameter of Hunters Supply - Lead bullets have you been using in your Krag?

Does their applied lube work well and at what velocities?

waterman

Post by waterman »

Lead bullets (of many dozens of designs) have been used for the Krag since the first of them were made available to civilians back before 1900. Many loading manuals, probably a couple of Forums on line. There are hundreds of lube recipes, many from old-time Krag shooters like Walter Hudson. Hard-cast bullets can be pushed to original Krag velocities or faster, but accuracy usually suffers. Lots & lots written on the subject. Gas checks are often hard to find. Those made from aluminum cans are satisfactory.

Olpeddler

Post by Olpeddler »

Ebruce & Waterman, Thank you for the information on hard cast lead bullets. I use lead bullets with gas checks when reloading for my .44 Mag (both revolver and rifle) as well as for my .45-70 Marlin Model 95C. My suppliers Oregon Trail and Bear Tooth Bullets. I shoot a lot of .03-06 and .303 Savage, but I never thought about using hard cast lead bullets in reloading for .30-06 because I was under the impression that leads bullets do not perform well at velocities above 2,600 FPS. I will order-up a box of hard cast lead .308 RN bullets and try them in my '03 Springfield, Kleingunthur, Savage F-111, Krag, and after doing some research, maybe even in my Garand.

waterman

Post by waterman »

If you shoot hard lead bullets at military rifle velocities, lube recipe is critical and you may well experience leading (lead smears or deposits) in the barrel. Back when the NRA did actual technical stuff, a man named Harrison wrote a series of articles on how to shoot cast bullets at higher velocities. IIRC, those articles are on line.

I shoot a couple of .32-40s. Both Winchester High Walls. Those commercial hard-cast bullets never shoot as accurately as softer bullets, 1:20 or 1:25 tin to lead alloys, never antimony. That's the gospel that has been preached since the 19th Century. It's still true. If you want military rifle velocities and decent accuracy, and minimal frustration, use jacketed bullets.

Olpeddler

Post by Olpeddler »

Waterman, Thank You! I like high velocity and accuracy, and I do like leading. Therefore, based upon your input, I am going to wait for either Nosler, Sierra, or Hornady to make a run of .308, 180 gr. RN, jacketed bullets. The only rifle I have a real problem with is my Savage Model 99, in .303 Savage because spitzer bullets just will not cycle in that rifle's rotary magazine. Among my dozen centerfire rifles, I have taken more whitetails with that rifle than the others combined. It is a tack driver at 100 yards, and has been in my family since 1909.

waterman

Post by waterman »

Olp, what you really need are the 190-grain round nosed bullets with a lot of lead exposed.