Ammo and component availability getting better?

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
FredC

Ammo and component availability getting better?

Post by FredC »

I went to the dentist yesterday in San Antonio and stopped by Nagels Guns on the way back. I bought 100 Winchester 45/70 cases, a pound of Varget powder, and 200 Remington large rifle primers. Hopefully that is a sign availability for all reloading components is getting better. They were in the middle of major remodeling and so the supplies were in a back room, I was not able to see what else was on the shelf.

http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.co ... 190#p44190
Remington run of 30/40 link

King carp

Re: Ammo and component availability getting better?

Post by King carp »

Its good to hear components are becoming available again. I am in the midwest and powder is back on the shelves. The only primers i have seen are of foreign make. Eastern european i think. How were the remington primers priced?

FredC

Post by FredC »

$21.90 for 200 pcs. Seems like I bought them for a penny each many years ago.

King carp

Post by King carp »

10 cents per primer, $40.00 a pound for powder, 35 cents each for bullets. The cost of reloading has certainly gone up. On the flip side factory loaded hunting ammo is around $1.50 to $2.00 per round. It still pays to reload if you can find the components. It seems everything has gone up in price. I must be getting stronger. I was able to carry $60.00 worth of groceries in one hand the other day!

Old Soldier

Post by Old Soldier »

I was able to buy 45-70 brass from Midsouth. I could not buy the Krags cuz they are primed. No ground shipping to AK. There is powder coming in but NO primers. I did land some .30 220 grain RN Hornady bullets @ $.50 each. Things are looking up. Pun intended.
" Should it come to war... we shall place our trust in God and our Long Rifles" Continental Congress

Capt. Frank

Post by Capt. Frank »

Most components are fairly available, except large rifle primers.

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

Alliant powders are still pretty rare in my area. Been looking for some Unique for over a year now…

Gdawg47

Post by Gdawg47 »

I just received 100 pieces of primed new Hornady brass takedowns from Midsouth. Around $1 each but already primed, new, clean & correct length.
Brass Mid.jpg
Brass Mid.jpg (908.86 KiB) Viewed 1405 times

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Old Soldier wrote: Tue May 02, 2023 4:22 am I was able to buy 45-70 brass from Midsouth. I could not buy the Krags cuz they are primed. No ground shipping to AK. There is powder coming in but NO primers. I did land some .30 220 grain RN Hornady bullets @ $.50 each. Things are looking up. Pun intended.
I have wondered how much folks in Alaska pay
for components. I remember back to the first Gulf War period when I was out at King Salmon. Gasoline was 85 to 90 cents, IIRC, in the lower 48 and the local pump showed $2.08. Yikes!
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

MooseNugget

Post by MooseNugget »

Here in Alaska things are getting better and shelves are starting to fill back up with ammo!!!

Large rifle/pistol primers are a challenge to find while small rifle/pistol primers can be had, albeit sold in packs of 100 and in limited quantities. At one store I could only purchase 2 packs of 100 small rifle and pistol primers from as many different manufactures being sold. So I purchased 2 each of CCI small rifle and pistol along with 2 each of Federal small rifle and pistol primers. Each 100 pack was a little over $7.00.

Powder is running about $40.00 to $50.00 per 1 LB containers.

I could have picked up on some good powder deals, at a recent gun show, but I spent all my money on a very nice 1953 Browning A5 semiauto shotgun for $675. Oh, I forgot to mention...A fellow at the show had 4 boxes of Remington 30-40 Krag Core-Lokt for $60 each.

Lately I've be contemplating getting back into loading shotgun shells. Prices for a box of plain old game load has risen to over 10 bucks a box...sheesh! Maybe I should get back into archery!

BTW: Last time I fueled up my vehicle gas was priced at $6.79 a gallon.