New (for me) Krag

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

Re: New (for me) Krag

Post by butlersrangers »

The 1902 carbine rear-sight is visibly a little bit taller and has a leaf spring similar to the 1903 Springfield's and a distinctive 'slot'.
Attachments
carbine sight 1902 b.jpg
carbine sight 1902 b.jpg (118.26 KiB) Viewed 620 times
carb8.jpg
carb8.jpg (324.71 KiB) Viewed 620 times

Whig

Post by Whig »

The 1898 carbine base measures around 0.477 inches in height and has the square leaf spring. The 1902 carbine base measures about 0.522 inches in height and has the rounded leaf spring. Your square leaf spring base should measure about 0.477 inches in height.

It is very confusing. Only 1,000 Model 1902 carbine rear sights (rounded leaf spring) were made in total. Many bases are Model 1898 bases because parts have been changed out and later rear sights from Springfield were made with combination of leftover parts after 1903.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

All of this got me thinking about the carbine sight I bought at the Baltimore show. I'll have to go find it to verify what I have but I'm pretty sure the base has the C on the right side and a 1902 leaf.

That means it is an 1898 base going by Tom Pearce's pictures in the photo section.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Whig

Post by Whig »

I thought you said you bought a Model 1901 rear carbine sight at the Balt show. Let us know. I collect these rear sights and don't have anywhere near all of the varieties made. I need two rounded leaf spring Model 1902 bases!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Dang. I must be getting alzheimers or just plain old. I was looking at my other bag of sights a week and a half ago. Anyway I seem to maybe misremember one of my sights was not right.

I blame it on the wuhan gene therapy shot the Navy made me take.

OK. Found it. Yep. Right side C
Last edited by Culpeper on Mon Apr 10, 2023 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Whig

Post by Whig »

The clot shot, the slab jab. There's a reason the govt wanted everyone in the world to get that shot!

I like a guy who's got a "bag" of Krag sights! Mine are in a box.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Collecting these rear sight varieties was a goal of mine, too. Add two 1901s and the 1902/98 to the pic.
Attachments
P1020098 reduced.jpg
P1020098 reduced.jpg (537.57 KiB) Viewed 579 times

Whig

Post by Whig »

That's great to have two loose Model 1896 carbine sights. Don't you have carbines to mount those on? I have all of my Model 1896 carbine sights mounted. I have been on the search for 2-3 more I need for carbines but I'm not paying the going price or anywhere near. They are selling for around $1,000 each now. I'll be looking a looong time, probably! I have a faked, or reproduction, Model 1896 carbine sight made quite well but obviously not authentic. I wanted one of these in my collection. The rest are mounted where they belong.

Nice collection with good carbine sights. Thanks for posting. Keep looking!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I bought most all of these while I was in Iraq and Afghanistan. I just checked the list. I have a 96 carbine and two 96 rifles. Don't know if the carbine has a rifle or carbine sight on it. Haven't looked at it since I bought it. Maybe I should. Of course that means I would have to dig into "The Pile" to find it. I could get my bolo bayonet out at the same time.

Also, all things are relative. I paid big bucks at the time for all of the sights. So a thousand per is big bucks of today So hold onto you carbine or one of the rotten parters will get them.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I like calling the model 1898 and 1902 Krag carbine sights the "Dickson sights".

Correct 1898 carbine sight-bases may bear the letter "C" on either the right-side or the left-side.

The 1898 carbine and rifle sight bases were totally tied to the 2,200 fps ammunition.
When the ammunition was discontinued, and salvaged for components, the 1898 sight bases and springs became useless to the Ordnance Department.
(Eventually the obsolete bases were sold for scrap and some of the mischief begins).

Only the 1898 leaf, binding-screw, and three-notch rifle eyepiece were officially 'remanufactured' and incorporated into a legitimate variant of the 1902 rifle sight, which uses the ground and radiused eyepiece, (with vestiges of the 'outside notches').

(I think we have let sight trivia and our 'sight stashes' drift us away from King Carp's new carbine, sorry)!
Attachments
a_krag_1902_sightnscrews.jpg
a_krag_1902_sightnscrews.jpg (80.32 KiB) Viewed 564 times