Project 3140

U.S. Military Krags
Culpeper

Project 3140

Post by Culpeper »

Okay. I have one Garand lined up. I named her Roses. So on to the next project in the chute. I give you 3140. I am going to get a load and some practice on this one. Haven't shot it since since who knows when.

Maybe it'll be good enough for Camp Perry. Oh I dare to dream.

Attachments
3140 project.jpg
3140 project.jpg (435.02 KiB) Viewed 781 times
Last edited by Culpeper on Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

P0H0

Re: Project 3140

Post by P0H0 »

Great looking rifle!

Camp Perry sounds like a ton of fun — I haven’t ever been. From what I’ve seen on YouTube, the guys competing are pretty darn serious shooters. Most have these carts to carry all their gear.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

P0H0 wrote: Sat Apr 15, 2023 2:35 pm Camp Perry sounds like a ton of fun — I haven’t ever been. From what I’ve seen on YouTube, the guys competing are pretty darn serious shooters. Most have these carts to carry all their gear.
It IS a ton of fun! Madsenshooter got me started in it back in 2012, and I haven't missed a year since. Yes, there can be a lot of equipment involved, but it's not crucial to have! All you really need is your rifle, ammo (minimum 35 rounds per match), eye and ear protection, and the desire to shoot! A decent spotting scope and a mat or blanket are nice to have, and a sling will help you imensly in the prone position... but if you pair up with guys who have a scope and mat, you don't even need those.

If you decided to come this year, I have extra scopes and an extra mat! You can shoot a Krag, or any vintage as-issued US or foreign mechanically operated military rifle in the Vintage Match (my son shoots a Type 99 Arisaka). The Garand Match is for Garands only and the Springfield Match is for 1903 Springfields only! Please consider coming. You can certainly join my group... and we'll provide all the help and instruction you'll ever need, and you can even add your stuff to the pile on our cart! LOL

Interesting story: My first year (2012), I deccided at the last minute to bring my dad's Garand in addition to my Krag. I shot with Madsenshooter in the Vintage with my Krag, but didn't find him for the Garand and was paired up with the one and only JACK**s I've ever met at Perry... who wouldn't let me use his mat to shoot, so I layed in the wet grass. Lesson learned - I purchased my first mat the very next year!!!

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

I’ll check it out — it does sound interesting. I think I have everything accept a cart/wagon and mat. If I do go, I’ll let you know so we can meet up.

Quick question: I’m thinking back to the USMC range qualification… Does this competition involve sitting, kneeling and prone positions? Also, I thought Petrarca Range only had 100 yard electronic targets — how’s this going to work?
Petrarca Range Garand/Springfield/Vintage/Modern Military Match
MATCH INFORMATION
Registration will open January 1, 2023.

The CMP will be holding a As-Issued M1 Garand Match, Springfield, Vintage Military & Modern Military Match on the Electronic Targets at Petrarca Range at Camp Perry, Ohio, June 24, 2023.

Entry Fee: One GSMM Match $40.00 for Adults and $30.00 for Juniors, Two GSMM Matches $70.00 for Adults and $50.00 for Juniors and Three GSMM Matches $100.00 for Adults and $70.00 for Juniors.
Firing Starts: Relay 1 & 2 at 9AM, Relay 3 & 4 at 10:45AM and Relay 5 & 6 at 12:30PM. Relay 7& 8 will be added if needed.

Rules: This match will be governed by the current CMP Competition Rules. Copies of the rules may be downloaded from the Civilian Marksmanship Program website at http://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-comp ... rulebooks/.
See Annex D & H for Electronic Target Rules: http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/ES ... gRules.pdf.

Rifles: This event will be opened to competitors firing an As-Issued M1 Garand, Springfield, Vintage Military or Modern Military Rifle per current CMP Games Competitions Rules: http://thecmp.org/competitions/cmp-comp ... rulebooks/

Course of Fire: The course of fire As-Issued Military Course A. Competitors will be firing on Electronic Targets.

Awards: CMP Achievement Pins will be awarded.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Maybe I have chosen poorly in my exuberance to bring 3140 to the line. I shot at the paper at 50 yards just to see what I had. High and to the left. I already knew I would have to do a bit of Kentucky windage with the 1894 rear sight. I totally spaced out the range setting. The minimum range is 300 yards and I was shooting at one hundred yards. Boy howdy was I surprised to see a clean target after I shot a six shot group. Right over the top.

So I held under and shot another six and I hit paper. Ugh. So much for the idea of possibly shooting an "original Krag" at a match, any match.

I had fifteen R-P 180 grain cartridges in a box so I used them for the first outing.
Attachments
3140 project at fifty yards with 1894 rear sight..jpg
3140 project at fifty yards with 1894 rear sight..jpg (775.57 KiB) Viewed 690 times
3140 project at one hundred yards with 1894 rear sight..jpg
3140 project at one hundred yards with 1894 rear sight..jpg (739.22 KiB) Viewed 690 times
Last edited by Culpeper on Mon Apr 17, 2023 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

You mean I don't have to walk out to the Viale Range? Heck, I'm in! No coming in dead last this year! ...Well. Maybe.

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

Is it possible to get a different sized front blade to compensate for modern loads and distance? For example, the 1903 Springfield front sight blades come in A-E (I think there is 5) moving the elevation of the strikes.

Or you could try a different Krag sight — there were lots of them, and some with windage adjustment — there has to be some options.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

You have read my mind on replacing the rear site and or the front sight. I think that will be my fall back in a couple of weeks if I fail to master 3140. But for now I am going to ride this train to the end of the track with original equipment. Call it pride or pig headedness but I believe I need to be able to accurately shoot any of my guns on a triple dog dare and win.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

P0H0 wrote: Mon Apr 17, 2023 8:13 pm I’ll check it out — it does sound interesting. I think I have everything accept a cart/wagon and mat. If I do go, I’ll let you know so we can meet up.

Quick question: I’m thinking back to the USMC range qualification… Does this competition involve sitting, kneeling and prone positions? Also, I thought Petrarca Range only had 100 yard electronic targets — how’s this going to work?
The CMP Games matches work like this:
All relays are fired at 200 yards. Targets are the standard SR target, and (as far as I know) are still manually worked from the pits. Pit duty is part of the fun anyway! CMP Games are fired on either Viale or Rodriguiz range (Viale is a 1000 yard range and we shoot from the 800 yard line. Rodriguiz is a 600 yard range and you shoot from the 400 yard line).

Relays consist of 3 strings:
1. Slow Fire Prone - 5 sighters and 10 shots for record fired in the prone position with a time limit of fifteen minutes. Shots are single shot only (no magazine use).
2. Rapid Fire Prone from standing - Starting in the standing position, you drop to prone when the targets appear and fire 10 shots in 80 seconds. This involves a reload! Its 5 and 5 with a bolt action, and 2 and 8 for a semi-auto (Garand and Modern Military). For the Garand, most of us use a special 2 round enbloc that is available at Camp Perry.
3. Slow Fire Standing - known as Off Hand (or Awful Hand for most of us), this is 10 rounds fired single shot in the standing position in a time liimit of ten minutes. No sling use is allowed in the standing position!

If you want to register, I would suggest you do so soon so you can get the same relays as my group. You can register now and pay when you get there so if you wind up not going, you won't lose any money. Just go to the CMP site and click on Competition Tracker. Then you'll have to register with the CMP to get a competition number to compete. Then you can register for the National Matches. I can definitely help you with this. The matches we are registered for are:
Modern Military (with an AR) - Thursday, July 27th AM on Viale Range
Vintage Rifle (shooting my Krag) - Friday, July 28th AM on Viale Range
John C Garand Rifle - Saturday, July 29th AM on Viale Range
Springfield Rifle (1903/1903A3) - Sunday, July 30th AM on Viale Range

We always try to shoot on Viale because it's the better range!

If you do plan on coming, please send me a message and I'll give you some info on where we're staying, and where we'll meet up. We usually do everything together, including dinners! You don't have to stay where we do... just some suggestions is all.

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

Relays consist of 3 strings:
1. Slow Fire Prone - 5 sighters and 10 shots for record fired in the prone position with a time limit of fifteen minutes. Shots are single shot only (no magazine use).
2. Rapid Fire Prone from standing - Starting in the standing position, you drop to prone when the targets appear and fire 10 shots in 80 seconds. This involves a reload! Its 5 and 5 with a bolt action, and 2 and 8 for a semi-auto (Garand and Modern Military). For the Garand, most of us use a special 2 round enbloc that is available at Camp Perry.
3. Slow Fire Standing - known as Off Hand (or Awful Hand for most of us), this is 10 rounds fired single shot in the standing position in a time liimit of ten minutes. No sling use is allowed in the standing position!
No kneeling!!! Oh thank god, my knees was my main concern. Other than the transition, my knees won’t be a factor under this setup. I am nearly convinced.