"The Transitional Era"

U.S. Military Krags
butlersrangers

"The Transitional Era"

Post by butlersrangers »

In my opinion, U.S. Krag rifles & carbines, parts changes and production are well documented from 1894 to the end of Krag production in 1903.
During that era, Armory, arsenal, and depot work on the Krag was held to a high standard.

But then, post 1904, some things become 'cloudy'. The adoption of the 1903 Springfield did not cause a quick wholesale replacement of the Krag.
Official rebuilding and repair work continued, but it was likely 'back burner' stuff, that doesn't seem to have gotten written about or widely reported.

Some small rear-sight parts, developed initially for the prototypes and early models of the 1903 Springfield Rifle, became surplus and were compatible with the Krag.
We see the sight leaf and sight-knob, developed for the early 1903 Springfield, installed on model 1902 Krag sights very frequently.

The Krag remained a primary U.S. service arm in Army, Navy, Marine Corps, and National Guard use, until approximately 1907-.08.
Many Krags continued to be 'reconditioned' and repaired, prior to being reissued or put into military storage.

Krags were in use at West Point and Annapolis. Krags were loaned to private military schools.
Beginning around 1904, some carbines were altered into short-rifles and sold to the Philippine Constabulary and as School Rifles.
Some Krags were loaned or sold to SAW Veterans Organizations.

Some Krag models were obsolete and probably became fodder for early civilian sales.

The preparations and buildup for our WW1 involvement, likely, resulted in a lot of Krags being 'called back' and 'pulled in' from various sources.

I wonder about the condition of the Krag rifles when they were returned, the repairs done, the parts utilized, where the work was performed, and the standard that repairs were being held to?
I think a lot of this 'Krag Trivia' is currently unknown, but maybe some of it is discoverable?

Maybe some of the odd 'model 1902 sight' combinations or mounting-screw mixups, that I am suspicious of or blame on Bannerman and Bubba, were actually stopgap solutions to make 'training rifles' serviceable, before and during WW1?
Attachments
Krag WW1.jpg
Krag WW1.jpg (428.83 KiB) Viewed 694 times

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: "The Transitional Era"

Post by Ned Butts »

"Maybe some of the odd 'model 1902 sight' combinations or mounting-screw mixups, that I am suspicious of or blame on Bannerman and Bubba, were actually stopgap solutions to make 'training rifles' serviceable, before and during WW1"
I agree, I have thought that for some time as well

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I think it would certainly explain a few things!

WAGON

Post by WAGON »

I completely agree with opinions in post. From trying to research numerous 1903's and Garand's over year's I believe in the process of closing Springfield Armory in 67/68 the army scattered a lot of historical record's to many different locations. There was a wealth of historical information there both in production and things they were experimenting with. I am sure there is lot's to be discovered at numerous location's. With first 911 and then Covid the restrictions hamper a lot of research. Most of younger employee's at those location's don't appreciate the collector value that is there. The information that is retained on this forum makes a lot of collecting and checking much easier. Hopefully someday they will discover the bulk of record's that the Army moved.