New to me 1896 Krag

U.S. Military Krags
Gdawg47

New to me 1896 Krag

Post by Gdawg47 »

I've just picked up my 1896 Krag Carbine.
https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns- ... =102252966
Where can I begin to find info on the gun, SN 41150 and its' history?

Thanks all

Gary Kim
Firearms Shooting Enthusiast

Mike4MSU

Re: New to me 1896 Krag

Post by Mike4MSU »

Welcome to KCA. Very pretty cut down rifle.

Others will chime in with more information than I. Can’t see if the sight is a carbine or rifle, but the stock looks like a cut down rifle to me. When you receive the rifle, look to see if there’s a square plug in the front end. The stock is likely a replacement as it doesn’t have a cartouche yet doesn’t look sanded. Overall a beautiful stock. The barrel is a rifle cut down. The sling looks like an original Kerr sling.

Enjoy it!
Mike

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Gary, welcome to the KCA Forum!
You have bought a very nice looking Krag, but it is not a correct one.

Serial number 41150 is not in a known carbine serial number range.
Your number is surrounded by a whole lot of model 1896 rifles.

Your barrel is a cut-down rifle barrel with a commercial (likely W. Stokes-Kirk) 'banded' front-sight installed.

I think your stock and handguard are 'real' carbine parts.
The carbine stock appears to be a late (post-1899) replacement type.
This pattern was used to update model 1896 carbines, (during re-building), so that they would be more like the model 1899 carbine.

Any Krag carbine stock, adapted for rifle sling-swivels, will be suspect. This was usually a civilian thing, for hunting.

Your handguard is a desirable carbine model, that was adopted around 1902.
It is intended to be used with the model 1901 carbine rear-sight.
The 'hump' protects the sight 'leaf' from damage, when inserting or pulling the carbine from its saddle scabbard.

I would recommend that you purchase a basic collector's handbook on the Krag.
Joe Poyer's, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine", will answer many of your questions, give you many hours of fun, and is available for less than $30.

You have a "parts Krag", but some rather nice parts! Your metal appears to possibly be refinished.

It will be interesting to see some more (clear & detailed) photos of your Krag, to better access what you bought.
Attachments
auction krag2.jpeg
auction krag2.jpeg (138.96 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
auction krag1.jpeg
auction krag1.jpeg (143.12 KiB) Viewed 1436 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Threads that go quiet, like this one, leave me feeling like a 'disagreeable old fart'. :?

waterman

Post by waterman »

Parts Krag or not, that looks to be a nice one. If I saw it at a gun show, it would follow me home.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

butlersrangers wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 2:47 pm Threads that go quiet, like this one, leave me feeling like a 'disagreeable old fart'. :?
No, you were just being honest. WAAAAAY too many people buy something and THEN ask questions, solicit opinions, etc. Just the opposite should be the case. Yes, I can understand the fear of exposing a "sleeper", though you do NOT need to say where the item is located, and (I hope that) most guys would feel that claim-jumping would be EXTREMELY bad form anyhow.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The new member bought this parts Krag and asked for information.

I thought I was being kind and spent some time on my response. It was my gift to the new guy.

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

butlersrangers wrote: Sat Apr 29, 2023 5:50 pm The new member bought this parts Krag and asked for information.

I thought I was being kind and spent some time on my response. It was my gift to the new guy.
You were kind in taking the time to give an informative response. Something I personally value. I knew little of Krags when I bought mine (still a one Krag owner so far). Thankfully, I had a friend who looked it over and thought it was a good deal too. I posted here and the consensus was the same.

I’ve stuck around and continued to learn about Krags and had some laughs while doing it. You can’t win them all, but appreciate the information and posts by the members on this board, including yourself.

Gdawg47

Post by Gdawg47 »

All, thanks for the comments & information. I took the advice and bought "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine" in both paperback & Kindle versions. I'm now starting the research to learn more about this treasure. No matter how it turns out, this will be on the range by June (it was an early Fathers Day gift) and I will have a ladder worked up for it for the best ammo.
I have zero regrets on this purchase.
Thanks again

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

With such a short front-blade, it is likely Gary's Krag will place its shots high on the target.