Are rear sights interchangable?

U.S. Military Krags
1939Dodge

Are rear sights interchangable?

Post by 1939Dodge »

I have a Model 1898, cut down to 22". I need a rear sight. I have an offer for an 1896 rear sight. Will it fit the rifle? Which handguard should I buy if I buy this sight? Thank you!

Whig

Re: Are rear sights interchangable?

Post by Whig »

Welcome to the Krag Collector's Association forum!

Which Krag rear sight are you wanting to mount on your Krag? There is a rifle and a carbine Model 1896 rear sight. The carbine one is quite rare and expensive and most appropriate for a carbine length Krag. The rifle sight is more common and less costly. The carbine sight is calibrated for the shorter barrel, 22 inches. The rifle sight is calibrated for the longer 30 inch barrel. The height of the front sight blade is also important based on which barrel length and rear sight you have. The carbine sight would have a couple "c"s stamped into the sight. It is calibrated to 20 (2000 yards). The Model 1896 rifle rear sight is calibrated to 18 (1800 yards) and has no "c" stampings.

The rear sights are all interchangeable. They may use different screws. The picture below shows the different hand guards for different sights. You need to find out which one you have. ("R" for rifle and "C" for carbine.)
Attachments
Krag Hand guards.jpg
Krag Hand guards.jpg (38.54 KiB) Viewed 10121 times

1939Dodge

Post by 1939Dodge »

Thank you!

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

"The rear sights are all interchangeable. They may use different screws."

Thanks for this info. Great to know!
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Whig

Post by Whig »

The rear sights are physically inter changeable with different screws and hand guards but they may not all work properly for the specific Krag they are mounted on. Carbine rear sights are calibrated for 22 inch barrels, rifle sights are calibrated for 30 inch barrels and the 1898 short-lived three notch sight was calibrated for a different power load for the .30-40 Krag rifle and carbine. Also, the front sights need to be properly matched to the mounted rear sight.

So, It's a little bit more than just simple switcheroo!

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Got it, thanks! I have been working on Milsurp rifles for well over 30 years now. I have a literal box full of different height and style front sights. I will find one that works with my rear sights or modify one to work.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer