Civilize "Em With a Krag!

U.S. Military Krags
Whig

Civilize "Em With a Krag!

Post by Whig »

I hadn't read through this in a while. Thought I'd share for your enjoyment of our hobby and passion!
Attachments
Civilize 'Em.jpg
Civilize 'Em.jpg (335.45 KiB) Viewed 811 times

waterman

Re: Civilize "Em With a Krag!

Post by waterman »

When I was a little boy, during the war and for a couple of years after, I lived with my grandparents. The man who lived next door was my grandfather's age. His wife died in 1943 and he was alone. He had been my grandparents' friend for some time. Because he was alone, my grandmother ordered him to show up for lunch and supper, just to make sure he was eating. To me, he was a happy man, always singing. He'd been in the Illinois National Guard during the SAW and spent about a year in the PI. Remained in the NG, got a commission, chased Pancho Villa and later went to France. Went from Pvt to Major. Always an infantry officer, he was 42 when he was gassed. He never really recovered, but it didn't stop his singing.

I learned many of his songs. He sang about civilizing Insurrectos with a Krag, not Filipinos. IIRC, the song has many verses. I'll dig them out if anyone is interested. The song has a name that doesn't have much to do with the chorus about a Krag. Maybe it's "The Carabao Song". Or maybe not.

I learned other songs, one that went "the monkeys have no tails in Zamboanga" and another "We're camped in the sand of a foreign land, by the mighty Augus River, with skeeters at yer nose and bullets at yer toes, and a kris perhaps in yer liver".

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

Here is a movie, "Amigo", that has American soldiers singing the song at the 1:41:40 mark. And remember, Ole Krag did not pronounce his name so it rhymed with flag. Those aren't real Krags in this movie. Some parts were added to another rifle design to make them look like Krags.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6eBb9K4CH0

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Thanks for posting the link to access the movie - "Amigo".

I watched it this morning, for the first time, and thought it was very well done.

It is amazing if anyone came out of the insurrection fighting totally sane!

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

So I believe this was filmed in the Philippines and has given me an idea of what my great grandfather saw and went through. According to his regiments history they took at least one long trek through the jungle before going to China. I suppose he sung this song, also.
The Filipino Insurrection has for a long time been compared to the Viet Nam War as far as the type of warfare being fought is concerned.