CCI Large Rifle BR-2 Primers

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Olpeddler

CCI Large Rifle BR-2 Primers

Post by Olpeddler »

Yesterday afternoon I called my local Cabela's to see if they had any Large Rifle and Large Pistol Primers in stock. For the last two years i have called that store every other week with the same question, and the answer was always "NO". During yesterday's phone call the answer was "Yes, but your better get here quickly, or they will be gone". The store is 19 miles from my home, and I made it in record time. The guy with whom I spoke with on the phone is their ammo department manager. He showed me what he had in stock: Remington two and a half large pistol primers and CCI Large Rifle BR-2. I bought a 1,000 primer box of each primer. The CCI LR B-R 2 primers were pricey - $149 a box; but I rationalized buying them because I was saving a $30 HAZMAT fee and $10 shipping versus buying on-line.
For the last 25 years I have exclusively used Winchester Large Pistol and Large Rifle primers. Does anyone have experience with CCI Large Rifle BR-2 Primers when reloading .30-40 Krag, high number '03 Springfield made in 1918, and an M1 Garand? Thanks for any experience you care to share. OLP

psteinmayer

Re: CCI Large Rifle BR-2 Primers

Post by psteinmayer »

I use CCI pretty much exclusively... and I use the #34 in most of my loads, including my 30-40 ammo (I use a CCI 200 in my 7.7x58 Arisaka loads). I love the #34s because they are nice and consistant, and I get a box of 1000 every year at Camp Perry. However, I've never used the BR-2. I'd be interested in how they fair...

madsenshooter

Post by madsenshooter »

Swiped someone else's answer to the same question. It's over 10yrs old. "Rumor has it, and I *don't* have this on good authority but seems I've read/heard this from several different sources....that the difference between a CCI200 and CCI BR2 is which employee is overseeing the machine while they're being made. Allegedly, when the more experienced primer-maker folks run the machine they are BR2's and when regular folks run the machine they're 200s. All machine settings are identical, the difference is the BR2s end up a little more consistent than 200s because of operator skill.

Take that for whatever you think it's worth.

As an aside, I certainly can't shoot the difference between them."

FredC

Post by FredC »

About 10 years ago a member here did extensive testing of Winchester then Remington primers. He original said the Winchesters were the best available, then decided Remington gave more consistent velocity. I am not sure if CCI were in the mix he tested.

Here is the link I found: http://www.kragcollectorsassociation.co ... 6230#p6230
Both styles of CCI primers were in the mix.

Capt. Frank

Post by Capt. Frank »

The CCI BR-2, are supposed to be a harder primer, not unlike the 34's and 41's.

trapdoor4570

Post by trapdoor4570 »

I did testing for myself over the years. A scoped Remington 40X in 7.62 NATO mostly with cast bullets. For me the CCI Bench rest primers were not worth the extra cost. The only premium primer that was worth the extra money is the Federal Gold Medal but I feel the Winchester is almost as good on the target. I tried a lot of different primers over the years both boxer and Berdan. I even tried some old Frankford Arsenal corrosive primers dated 1920. Unless I go to a big match I will stick with the W-W primer. I go to the range for the fun of seeing how well I can do. My Scottish blood tells me to save the money for powder and lead.