range time

U.S. Military Krags
King carp

range time

Post by King carp »

Got out to the range yesterday. Is there a lumber shortage? Out of 7 other shooters i was the only one to have rifles with a wood stock lol! I had my 03A3 and Krag rifle with. I was trying out some cast bullet loads. Nice young guy thought the Krag was a "jap" rifle. A shout out to "Whig" for suggesting the 1901 rear sight over the 1902 type. It helped on the group size and my eyes! Nice to have winter out of here for awhile.
Attachments
20230511_122848_compress30.jpg
20230511_122848_compress30.jpg (272.44 KiB) Viewed 1065 times

butlersrangers

Re: range time

Post by butlersrangers »

I vote Wood!

"King Carp" fess up.
We can all see that M1 carbine, behind you, and the magazine and pouch in the foreground!
(At least it is wearing wood, too).

That Chicago Blackhawks patch is a bit hard on my sensibilities!
Attachments
Leonard_Wood_campaign_button_1920.jpg
Leonard_Wood_campaign_button_1920.jpg (55.24 KiB) Viewed 1055 times

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Well the lad was correct. It was a Jap rifle once. There is even a documentary showing John Wayne using one taken from a dead Japanese soldier. I believe the documentary was called the The Seabees or some such thing.

And now for the big question. How did your loads shoot? Any one can take out their rifle, get in position, throw a few empties around for a public relations shoot to impress the wife or maybe the lonely dolls up at the Home. That doesn't work. I know because I've tried. Ya just can't put any thing past old gals. But the proof is in the paper or the venison from the back porch. Um. Never mind about that second part.

I'm kinda interested in how your .30-06 loads did, too.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I want the 'hat trick' .... .30-40, .30-06, and .30 carbine loads & results!

King carp

Post by King carp »

Well since there are no pic's of nice tight groups you can figure out how that went. The Krag shot better than the 03A3. I am shooting the N.O.E. version of the lyman 311299 bullet. About 210 grs.as cast. At 50 yards i had a 2"+ group with the Krag. The 03A3 group was bigger. I think the bullet is too heavy for the 03 maybe. I'll keep futching around with it and get it to group. I was using some older imr 2400 powder with five rounds loaded with 19, 20, 21, and 22 grs. It was consistent powder but really left a mess in the action and barrel. The M-1 carbine is my friends. He had Greek surplus ammo for it. Those things are fun to shoot. Its all a work in progress but better than watching the news. Sorry about the Blackhawks t-shirt B.R. i'm a victim of my hometown.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Lots of victims in Chicago!

King carp

Post by King carp »

In defence of these rifles you have to consider who was behind them too.[attachment=0]theshakiestguninthewest1968.89782.1 (1).jpg[/attachment
Attachments
theshakiestguninthewest1968.89782.1 (1).jpg
theshakiestguninthewest1968.89782.1 (1).jpg (458.73 KiB) Viewed 1034 times

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Two inches at 50 isn't too bad. That is eight at 200 which is also minute o' man. There was a historical mention somewhere. Oh, yeah, I remember.

That run and gun match from Concord Bridge to Boston back in '75.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

King carp

Post by King carp »

Thanks, i think both of these rifles will shoot well with some more experimenting. With some work i hope i can get 2" groups at 100 yards. Cast bullets are a different animal then jacketed ones but i enjoy making and shooting them.

Whig

Post by Whig »

I've been traveling so much for visiting grand kids and family time, my priorities for reloading and shooting have dropped a lot. I look at the picture above with you shooting your Krag on a nice day with lots of envy! But, nothing beats new grand kids!

Great news that the Model 1901 rear sight worked well for your eyes. I tried different sights and settled on that one for my Krag shooting for long distance accuracy. I can adjust it well for reproducing shots at the different ranges also. Keep working on your accuracy. I have gotten 1 1/2 MOA with my Krag using reloads. It does take some careful sighting and good trigger control. Also lots of practice and ammo!

Krags are always the most interesting rifles at the range!