A pair of 1898's in the UK

U.S. Military Krags
waco16

A pair of 1898's in the UK

Post by waco16 »

20230519_102212 compressed.jpg
20230519_102212 compressed.jpg (990.88 KiB) Viewed 1000 times
Not something you see too often on the ranges in the UK - two 1898's together - the one on the left 1899, and on the right 1903

Culpeper

Re: A pair of 1898's in the UK

Post by Culpeper »

Welcome to the Greatest Krag forum on the Planet, Waco! The smarter guys will be along in a bit. I can only imagine how two Krags made it England. Is there a story there? Good looking rifles you have. How do you find ammo for it way over there?

Serial numbers! We need serial numbers for the census. Pleeeeeeeeeease.

I do have a question though. I look at the photograph, maybe it is just me, but it looks like the rifle on the right has a shorter barrel than the one on the left.

C. J. Culpeper
Formerly of the KCA Africa Corps, Commanding

or Saint

or Mud Pie Maker of the Riff Valley

Oh the heck with it. I can't keep this line going.

Again, welcome to the brotherhood.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Welcome to the KCA Forum.

That's a mighty niece Range Backstop! Where are you located in the UK?

Do you think, possibly, your Krag rifles were donated by American gun owners, to help Britain resist invasion, in the desperate times, following Dunkirk?
Attachments
Send_a_gun_to_defend_poster.png
Send_a_gun_to_defend_poster.png (193.84 KiB) Viewed 961 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Sat May 20, 2023 5:43 am, edited 2 times in total.

King carp

Post by King carp »

Welcome to the K.C.A. Nice Pair of Krags. That looks like a nice range to shoot them at. I wonder if the Krags came across the pond during WW1?

waco16

Post by waco16 »

Welcome to the Greatest Krag forum on the Planet, Waco! The smarter guys will be along in a bit. I can only imagine how two Krags made it England. Is there a story there? Good looking rifles you have. How do you find ammo for it way over there?

Serial numbers! We need serial numbers for the census. Pleeeeeeeeeease.

I do have a question though. I look at the photograph, maybe it is just me, but it looks like the rifle on the right has a shorter barrel than the one on the left.

Thanks for the welcome everyone!
My shooting chum's rifle is the one on the left - he's had it for around 8 years and I'm not sure (neither is he) of any background on the rifle
I've only had mine for around a month or so and this was its first outing.
I bought it from an RFD (Registered Firearms Dealer) who I believe imported it from the States - he still has another 1898 rifle, and a cut down 'carbine' for sale.

I've posted the details of mine on the data base when I first got it - the serial number is 452690 and carries a lovely sharp 1903 cartouche on the stock
I can get my friends rifle serial number and post if helpful.
Both rifles are exactly the same length

Mine has the 1902 sight, and my friends carries the 1901 sight
We shot each others rifles and both agreed that the 1902 sight offered a lot better sight picture.

30-40 ammo over here is pretty well non existstant
I managed to extract (with a certain amount of difficulty) 50 Remington cases from the dealer I bought the rifle from, and my friend uses .303 british brass (which is plentiful here) run through a 30-40 sizing die.
Cases are around .1" short, but it seems to work for him.

Bullet supply is OKish, but powder is another matter - supply is really hit and miss, so putting together an acceptable bullet/powder combination is challenging

I had to settle in a 150 grain SP load, and after researching lighter bullet loads in the Krag wasn't expecting spectacular results.
It was quite the oposite
First shot at a 100 yds was centre hit on 10" plate - and the same at 200 yds - shooting to sight settings.
As we moved out to 500 (bigger plates admittedly) was getting around a 50% hit rate, though the sights at this point were set at 350 - 400.

Its a lovely rifle to shoot, and I'm pleased with the way it performed.
When I got it home from the dealer the barrel wasn't very clean, and once it was properly cleaned it revealed deep grooves, but some nasty pitting on the corners of the lands - to the point where I was thinking about returning it (if it shot badly yesterday that was what was going to happen)
I'm off to another range tomorrow where I can shoot paper and see how it goups over a chronograph.

I'm from Gloucestershire, and the range in the pictures is in mid Wales

I'll post some more pictures of my rifle later if anyone is interested - it has an interesing rack rumber painted on the butt

Just realeased I've been rambling!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Most of us are 'Ramblers', when it comes to guns that we enjoy and shoot!

It is great to see the Krag passion carried to the UK, Europe, and other parts of the globe.

We do enjoy clear, detailed photographs of Krag rifles and carbines. Keep us posted on your shooting exploits.

Do you have a 'Krag Library'?

IMO - Using 150 to 180 grain projectiles is a great way to 'improve' the .30-40 cartridge, if they feed well through your action and your barrel likes them.
Higher velocity with lower pressures and easy availability of bullets are good virtues.
The original 220 grain load, though historic and accurate, has some down sides.

Most original U.S. Krag barrels will have some erosion, pitting, and a long 'Leade' to the rifling.
Early .30 U.S. Army ammunition was harsh and a work in progress.
We are no longer surprised that a less than pristine Krag barrel may shoot jacketed bullets very well.

It is not surprising that there is a similarity between the .303 British and .30-40 Krag cartridges. They were developed at the same time, with both countries sharing intellectual properties, and influenced by the same 7.5 mm prototype Swiss cartridge.

Attached: A page from a 1920 era 'competitor score book', when Krag, 1903 Springfield, and 1917 Enfield rifles might be seen along the firing-line in U.S. military style matches.
(The 'Krag page' was likely carried over from earlier Score Book printings, although the Krag, as illustrated, is 'wearing' a model 1907 sling).
Attachments
IMG_4432_001.jpeg
IMG_4432_001.jpeg (74.48 KiB) Viewed 920 times

waco16

Post by waco16 »

Most of us are 'Ramblers', when it comes to guns that we enjoy and shoot!

It is great to see the Krag passion carried to the UK, Europe, and other parts of the globe.

We do enjoy clear, detailed photographs of Krag rifles and carbines. Keep us posted on your shooting exploits.

Do you have a 'Krag Library'?
Thanks for your kind words
I have a small Krag library:
Mallorys 2nd edition
Brophy's Krag Rifle and his Springfield Arsenal of Freedom
Poyers Krag Rifles and Carbines

I've added some pictues of my rifle across a couple of posts - I'm no photographer, so apologies in advance
Attachments
5.jpg
5.jpg (826.94 KiB) Viewed 893 times
3.jpg
3.jpg (799.86 KiB) Viewed 893 times
7.jpg
7.jpg (719.81 KiB) Viewed 893 times
12.jpg
12.jpg (961.15 KiB) Viewed 893 times
11.jpg
11.jpg (912.31 KiB) Viewed 893 times

waco16

Post by waco16 »

last of the photographs
Attachments
8.jpg
8.jpg (902.63 KiB) Viewed 893 times
6.jpg
6.jpg (761.9 KiB) Viewed 893 times
4.jpg
4.jpg (900.95 KiB) Viewed 893 times

Whig

Post by Whig »

Those are a couple of great, honest Krag rifles that have a lot of life left in them for you to enjoy!

Welcome to the KCA Forum! Thanks for sharing your Krags and your passion for a common hobby. The first 1898 rifle is a very late Model 1898 made ion 1903. You even have the cleaning rods and oiler in the butt stock.

Enjoy shooting them and playing with these rifles!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'waco16' - You have a good solid looking U.S. Model 1898 Krag rifle.

IMO - The large stenciled '364' is an unusual way of marking a U.S. military arm.

The gray painted number may even hint at possible naval or naval reserve use?
(FWIW - The Brooklyn Naval Reserves had 'anchors' painted on their stocks in 1908).

There are a number of American Legion and VFW Posts that have #364 in their designation.
Attachments
Brklyn_Naval_Res-ed1.jpg
Brklyn_Naval_Res-ed1.jpg (156.75 KiB) Viewed 842 times