Krag leather slings - new

For poking fun and off topic subjects
RicKrager

Krag leather slings - new

Post by RicKrager »

For a sling, look this over:
https://www.ima-usa.com/products/u-s-m1 ... ther-sling

I need one for field and range and they looked functional. Thoughts?

butlersrangers

Re: Krag leather slings - new

Post by butlersrangers »

I consider such slings to have a good historic appearance and utility value at a minimal cost. 64 inches is a correct length for use on a Krag.

A good leather dressing and some wear from use, will help make it look more authentic.
It should be kept in mind that the Krag sling was mainly a 'carry-strap'.
It was not designed as a shooting aid & support. It requires creativity to use it as such.

IMO - For frequent competitive (position) shooting, a quality Model 1907 sling is a better option, since it is designed to serve as a shooting support.
One high quality M-1907 shooting sling can be switched & shared with multiple guns: Krag, 1903 Springfield, Model of 1917, and M1 Garand 'match' rifles.

attached photos:
1. A 1903 Rod-Bayonet Springfield with a rare transitional-sling, that serves as a shooting support.
2. Post WW1 'shooter's score book' with M-1907 sling illustrated on a Krag.
3. A reproduction Krag sling, (like the OP is considering), mounted to 'stacking-swivel'. This allows the long sling to serve as a shooting aid.
This method was used by some 1903 Army National Match team competitors, at Seagirt, N.J.
4. One Sailor on the 1909 U.S.S. Missouri rifle team, has his Krag-sling attached to the 'stacking-swivel'.
Attachments
rod bayonet.jpg
rod bayonet.jpg (278.65 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
IMG_4432_001.jpeg
IMG_4432_001.jpeg (74.48 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
Krag 1887 shooting-sling.jpg
Krag 1887 shooting-sling.jpg (121.49 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
uss mo. 1909 rifle team edit.jpg
uss mo. 1909 rifle team edit.jpg (164.73 KiB) Viewed 1727 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Tue May 23, 2023 12:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

King carp

Post by King carp »

What butlers rangers says. The 1907 is the better sling if you are going to use it for standing , kneeling, or prone shooting. It really doesn't look out of place on a Krag.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

IMO - It is worthwhile to own one or two of the 64-inch replica Krag slings. In the past such slings often sold for $15 on ebay.
(BTW - I don't care much for IMA, because of over-priced and incorrectly described Krags they have marketed, in recent years).

Everyone can use a decent quality M-1907 sling in their equipment locker.

It is good for a Krag owner to own both types of slings.

FWIW - I make it a practice not to leave slings on rifles, when stored.

Checking ebay tonight, I could not find a better deal than IMA's sling and they specify their sling is 64-inches long.

Ebay M-1887 slings, that measure 72-inches, are too long for the Krag rifle.

RicKrager

Post by RicKrager »

I have to say, the pleasure I get from my two “sporterized” Krags has been enhanced by the fine people and great information given so generously by the KCA forum. From the historical perspective of these unique rifles to the practicality of keeping them alive and shooting I am truly indebted. I appreciate the direction as I work through being custodian of my ‘96 and ‘98 trimmed Krags. The info on the slings from BR and others prompted me to “Just DO IT!” I bought a pair instead of dithering.

Thanks guys,

RGR

RicKrager

Post by RicKrager »

I respond again, in order to complete the discussion and application of the 64” IMA slings. Trying to research the options for attaching the sling I found a familiar name, “Dick Hosmer.” He describded the installation but for some reason the picture didn’t come together for me. He had received a reply from someone else who said pictures would be nice. Visualization was proving difficult for both of us.

Pressing on through other forums I came across a kindly soul who provided well gathered photos of the process as used on the “Trapdoor” Springfield. With the text from friend Hosmer, aided by butlersrangers and the captioned photos by “Pitspitr” of the CAS forum, the light came on and I attached the sling in the “lazy” configuration. Loose enough to sling for free hands carry and rapid deployment for supported off-hand shooting. I can also take a wrap for aim stabilization. For my style of riflery it is all I could ask for.

Small cautionary, the strap leather is a bit too thick for a double pass through the Krag sling swivels.

Thank you all and Happy Trails, Buckaroos,

RicKrager

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The attached photo shows how the Krag sling was installed.
This reproduction sling is 72 inches long and is made with a bulky 'splice'. (Correction: this spliced-sling is actually 77.5 inches long).
It works with a 'Trapdoor' Springfield rifle, but, it is 8 to 10 inches too long for a Krag and cannot be adjusted to make it 'taut'.

The slackness does allow an easy view of how this style of sling was installed.
Attachments
krag-1887_sling.jpeg
krag-1887_sling.jpeg (75.5 KiB) Viewed 1598 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Fri Jun 02, 2023 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

William Brophy gave good coverage of the model 1887 sling in his book, "The Krag Rifle", page 168 to 169.

He described and illustrated the use of this sling on the 'Trapdoor' and Krag rifles.

The pictures are easier to follow than the written description.
Attachments
IMG_2692 (2).JPG
IMG_2692 (2).JPG (286.06 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
IMG_2694 (2).JPG
IMG_2694 (2).JPG (225.14 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
IMG_2693 (2).JPG
IMG_2693 (2).JPG (169.48 KiB) Viewed 1584 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Wed May 31, 2023 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

FWIW — I recently ordered M1887 slings for the 1898 Krag rifles I am restoring. I do agree that the M1907 is a superior sling —- however I want the sling that was used on the rifle during the Spanish American War. I found two slings worth looking at and ordered both — the darker sling has slightly thicker leather and overall I think a better look:

1. Like the original poster I ordered the IMA sling:

Website: https://www.ima-usa.com/products/u-s-m1 ... ther-sling
IMG_0763.jpeg
IMG_0763.jpeg (736.98 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
2. The other sling I ordered is from World War Supply (also available on amazon) is a darker stain:

Website: https://www.worldwarsupply.com/product/trapdoor-sling/

Amazon Link: https://a.co/d/6kQRhxC
IMG_0762.jpeg
IMG_0762.jpeg (231.03 KiB) Viewed 1567 times
Lastly, if you want to go with the M1907, I found the Kirkman slings sold by At The Front to be fantastic (and you’ll pay for it at $99 each). You can buy steel or brass off the website.

IMG_0764.jpeg
IMG_0764.jpeg (1009.76 KiB) Viewed 1562 times

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

4. One Sailor on the 1909 U.S.S. Missouri rifle team, has his Krag-sling attached to the 'stacking-swivel'.
That is interesting — you have eagle eyes BR! Maybe the rifle was used moments before as an improper example of a sling setup :? — or was there some unknown reason to do this... perhaps you can use it as a hasty sling setup this way?