First Krag

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Griffin4567

Re: First Krag

Post by Griffin4567 »

butlersrangers wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:30 am Griffin - Please measure the diameter of your barrel where the 'metal-strap' barrel-band is located.

Stevens-Savage and Uncle Mikes once made similar bands, that might work.
Good to know, I’ll check it in the morning. do you know where I could find those barrel bands?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Numrich Arms used to sell some of the Savage Model 340 barrel-band parts.

If the Uncle Mike's band might work, you can have mine.
Attachments
Numrich Savage-340.jpeg
Numrich Savage-340.jpeg (576.92 KiB) Viewed 14315 times
Savage-340.jpeg
Savage-340.jpeg (76.49 KiB) Viewed 14317 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

If you cannot find a direct replacement for the broken band and Br's band does not work, the Savage band might be able modified to work. Another option the Savage band could be used with that #34 part in Br's/Savage drawing and made to fit. The last time we tried Numrich did not have it. That is why we made one for RomeoJim. It does not take long to make one and I have metric and inch taps that will probably work with your screw.

Griffin4567

Post by Griffin4567 »

Sadly I’ve looked everywhere and can’t find a close replacement or any of the parts suggested. I’ll get some measurements tonight post it to see if the uncle mikes band works. If not If you’re able to make a part that would work I can get some measurements tonight and send them over to you, it would be much appreciated and I’ll pay you for the work.

FredC

Post by FredC »

I remember the Uncle Mikes band as being a little fussy. I bought one after Br brought it to our attention. I studied it a bit and put mine away, I could probably find it and give pointers if the size matches the barrel size to fit your stock.

Building a replacement band for your set up could be possible, it is a mystery how it works and if the design is good.

Building a special #34 nut to fit the Savage band (the original Savage nut used a 1/4 28 screw which would be a lot larger than your screw), would be relatively easy. The one potential problem will be, is there enough room in your stock at that location in your stock? Get a band from Numerich and see if it looks good in that location.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Griffin4567, I just attempted to send you a Private Message with contact info. I cannot tell it was actually sent.
Send me an email if you did get it.

Griffin4567

Post by Griffin4567 »

Had a hard time finding what I needed so I decided to just make my own band to fit the set-up the rifle came with. Took a few attempts but got it to work and after several range days it held up well and I haven’t had any issues with it. Was very surprised by how accurate the rifle was given I had never shot it or adjusted the sights and by how many people swarmed to it when at the range.
Just wanted to update and thank everyone!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I'm glad you came up with a 'fix' and that you are enjoying your Krag.

waterman

Post by waterman »

Krags are very different from today's rifles. Interesting that you encountered shooters curious enough to at least look at it.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Griffin4567 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:55 am Was very surprised by how accurate the rifle was given I had never shot it or adjusted the sights and by how many people swarmed to it when at the range.
Just wanted to update and thank everyone!
I am not surprised that you got swarmed. Those that do not know Krags would want to know what kind of rifle that is and those that do know Krags would want to see the details of the sporterization. Your sporter is over the top. I am sure that front barrel band is contributing to the accuracy. Well done!