First Krag

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
FredC

Re: First Krag

Post by FredC »

On the 3rd image from the top, I am seeing that offset as if the sling attachment and barrel band are separate. That got my curiosity up. A photo from the bottom would answer a lot of questions.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Obviously great minds think alike FredC.

That front sling-swivel must screw into a 'block' that extends rearward under the barrel to anchor the barrel-band.
Attachments
a band.jpeg
a band.jpeg (60.01 KiB) Viewed 8727 times

Griffin4567

Post by Griffin4567 »

FredC wrote: Mon Jun 05, 2023 3:54 pm On the 3rd image from the top, I am seeing that offset as if the sling attachment and barrel band are separate. That got my curiosity up. A photo from the bottom would answer a lot of questions.
IMG_4876.jpeg
IMG_4876.jpeg (64.89 KiB) Viewed 8671 times
Here’s what I can get right now, I’ll try to disassemble it soon and get more pictures. The screw behind the swivel seems to be what’s attaching the band to the barrel.

FredC

Post by FredC »

Thanks, more ideas in case we ever need to do something similar.
That work was nicely done as well as everything else we have seen. You do not have to take it apart for us, but if you do for your own need or curiosity we would like to see more pictures.

MooseNugget

Post by MooseNugget »

Thanks for posting a pic of the underside of the forearm. Sure explains why the offset of the barrel band in relation to the sling swivel.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

That looks very nice and cleanly done! Thanks for the picture.

Griffin4567

Post by Griffin4567 »

FredC wrote: Fri Jun 09, 2023 1:55 pm Thanks, more ideas in case we ever need to do something similar.
That work was nicely done as well as everything else we have seen. You do not have to take it apart for us, but if you do for your own need or curiosity we would like to see more pictures.
It’s okay, I disassemble and clean all my firearms after I buy them. Good thing too because it appears the band is broken so I will need a new one. I’ll attach the photos below.
IMG_4884.jpeg
IMG_4884.jpeg (997.12 KiB) Viewed 8647 times
IMG_4885.jpeg
IMG_4885.jpeg (573 KiB) Viewed 8647 times
IMG_4886.jpeg
IMG_4886.jpeg (629.98 KiB) Viewed 8644 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

That is nothing like I expected. I am guessing the nut that traps the overlapping band ends is 2 pieces. Is that 12.5 the width of the band in MM? That would be a little less than 1/2 inch. If it is metric, the threads on the screw maybe metric indicating it was made in Europe for one of the European Krags and adapted to the US Krag. Certainly deepens the mystery.
If the band is unavailable, it maybe possible to make a replacement out of packing strap material. The bends and the distance between the holes will be rather critical. I am guessing from the photos the nut is 2 pieces to trap the ends of the strap.

Griffin4567

Post by Griffin4567 »

You are correct, looks like it was a thin metal band that overlapped its self and the nut and plate push down on it when the screw is tightened and tighten the barrel. Can’t see and other markings on the band or the screw bedsides the 12.5. Sadly the previous owner is no longer around or I’d try to get more info. I’ll search online and see if I can find something similar.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Griffin - Please measure the diameter of your barrel where the 'metal-strap' barrel-band is located.

Stevens-Savage and Uncle Mikes once made similar bands, that might work.
Attachments
a Krag sporter barrel-band.jpg
a Krag sporter barrel-band.jpg (203.49 KiB) Viewed 8608 times
a UM barrel-band 2.jpg
a UM barrel-band 2.jpg (162.81 KiB) Viewed 8608 times