Can't find info on this gun

U.S. Military Krags
Knute1

Re: Can't find info on this gun

Post by Knute1 »

Kyle', I too, like many of us here, own a Krag sporter. Mine also wears a 24" barrel. It has a M1903-type front sight, such as yours. My barrel is actually for a M1903 rifle modified for the Krag, not a cut down Krag barrel. It has markings rear of the front sight that points to its pedigree. I only bring this up as a quick glance for your rifle to make this determination.

My rifle has been used for hunting and required sighting in with this set-up. The rear sight is a Krag M1896 and had to be adjusted for the miss-matched sights where it required being set at 600 yards to be sighted-in at 100 yards. But it works.

Enjoy your rifle for what it is. You may catch the Krag fever to where you desire to purchase a full military sample. In the meantime, you can experience the Krag mechanism and patiently await a good deal on another rifle. I have both a sporter and a full military Krag and would not wish to part with either. They both have a place in the history of the Krag-Jorgensen rifle.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Knute is correct about some altered 'short' Krags having modified 1903 Springfield barrels.

Modifying surplus 1903 barrels was a cheap commercial gunsmith remedy to improve a Krag with a rotten bore.

For most of its length, (except the chamber area), the 1903 barrel will be smaller in diameter than a Krag barrel.

I have seen five of these rebarreled Krags. Three were drilled & tapped to mount a Krag rear-sight. Two were not and had receiver sights.

The 1903 barrel has to be shortened at the breech end to rechamber for .30-40. A Krag extractor cut has to be machined for the new chamber.

The 1903 barrel shank and chamber-area O.D. is reduced and new barrel threads are cut to fit the Krag action.

If the OP's barrel is 24 inches or longer, it is likely a Krag barrel.

Originally, IIRC, 1903 barrels were 23 & 1/2 inches long. If shortened a bit at the muzzle, the Ordnance Bomb and date marking may be gone.
Still, a tell-tale clue would be a shallow groove, across the outside of the barrel (and usually on the bottom), back at the chamber-area.
This was for a cross-pin that 'locked' the 1903 rear-sight collar into place.

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

butlersrangers wrote: Sat Jun 10, 2023 5:39 pm Knute is correct about some altered 'short' Krags having modified 1903 Springfield barrels.

Originally, IIRC, 1903 barrels were 23 & 1/2 inches long.
I thought 1903 barrels were 24.25", then shortened to 24.00" when chambered for the new .30-'06 cartridge? Or did you mean that they were 23.5" when modified for a Krag?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

You are pretty much correct, Richard.

Per Brophy, the early 1903 Springfield rifles in .30-03 caliber had barrels that were 24.206 inches long.
When the 1903 Springfield was chambered for the .30-06 cartridge the length was reduced to 24.006 inches.
(This allowed salvaging the .30-03 barrels).

If a 1903 Springfield barrel is altered, by rechambering for .30-40 Krag and re-threading to fit the Krag action, it will end up being about 23.5 inches, max.

The OP's 24-inch-long barrel is most likely a 'cut-down' Krag rifle barrel.

Just too much stuff to remember, precisely!

A 1903 barrel that was altered and fitted to a Krag Action will have visible clues, to the experienced eye.
Attachments
sedgley altered 1903 barrel.jpg
sedgley altered 1903 barrel.jpg (65.41 KiB) Viewed 656 times
sedgley fitted 1903 barrel.jpg
sedgley fitted 1903 barrel.jpg (73.72 KiB) Viewed 656 times

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Yeah, I knew that wasn't right - but close. They set the barrel back two threads on a 10tpi shank.