New member…Krag 6.5x55

European Krags
Sunshineboys

New member…Krag 6.5x55

Post by Sunshineboys »

New to this forum. Thanks for allowing me to register as a member. I recently traded for a Krag carbine. Receiver marked 1905 with serial number 7333. As with most the stock has been shortened. It has no barrel band. It has the proper windage adjustable front sight and military rear sight. It is not drilled and tapped by Bubba nor altered in any was except for the stock. Numbers do not match. The small wood piece is present between the rear sight and receiver. The bore cleaned up well and I have fired it. I am happy to report it shoots great. It has a small indentation in the stock below and behind the pistol grip and possibly had a hole through the stock, also behind the pistol grip which goes across from one side to the other. This may not have been a hole clear through but just an indent on each side. The left side of the trigger guard is scalloped slightly. I would appreciate any input from members with knowledge of my Krag.
I have mostly collected Canadian military rifles for many years. I started with an 1853 Enfield then progressed to Snider Enfields, Martini Henrys, Lee Enfields, and Ross rifles. I also have Mauser, Swiss K31 and now my Krag. I always wanted a Krag so, when I had the chance I bought a Miroku Winchester M1895 in 30-40 Krag. Just not many military ones around and when they do appear they get grabbed quickly.
I reload so I bought all I needed to reload the 6.5x55. I have been using some cast bullet low power loads with 17.0 grains of SR4759 and a 140 grain Hornady bullet. I graduated to 32 grains of IMR4831 just a couple days ago and it shot fantastic at 50 yards. I have one technical question….when lifting the bolt handle to extract the empty brass at about 2/3 of the way I hit a hard spot and have to kick the bolt handle with my palm to get the bolt to the top and complete the extraction. Any ideas what the problem may be or is this normal?
Photographs…it appears that I will need to use a hosting site? Is that the case here? Is there any way to get around that? Too many words. Twenty two years retired after thirty years in police work. Dave

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Re: New member…Krag 6.5x55

Post by Ned Butts »

Welcome aboard Dave. It sounds like you have a Kavalerikarabin M/1895 (Cavalry carbine M/1895). One of @750 produced in 1905.Pictures are a must. You should be able to post right from your computer, just keep the size moderate (the numbers escape me right now) The indentation and small hole are for the rear sling loop and retainer. I realy like my Norwegians and consider them the top of the Krag line

Sunshineboys

Post by Sunshineboys »

Thanks Ned. I will attempt to post photos but from what I see I am assuming I would have to go through another site. Possibly someone can give me instructions on how to post from my photos.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Dave' - Welcome to the KCA Forum.

I attempted to post an explanation for picture attachment, earlier, but my Broadband failed and I lost the post.

Here is a pair of photos showing the Norwegian rear-sling attachment, which it sounds like your Krag is missing.

A kind of snaffle-hook on the sling attaches to the stock mounted 'ring'.

The rear-swivel 'ring' and special screw sometimes show up on ebay.
Attachments
norw-krag_butt1_001.jpeg
norw-krag_butt1_001.jpeg (61.51 KiB) Viewed 9920 times
Norwegian-sling_attach_002.jpg
Norwegian-sling_attach_002.jpg (80.01 KiB) Viewed 9920 times

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Click on post reply
Then scroll down to Options Attachments
Click on attachments
Click on Add Files
Then choose which file your pictures are in and add
you may need to reduce the size of your pictures. I am unfortunatly not up on that, I used to have my camera set to the correct size file but alas it died and now the phone camera baffles me :x :roll: :oops:

Sunshineboys

Post by Sunshineboys »

IMG_0615.jpeg
IMG_0615.jpeg (73.35 KiB) Viewed 9918 times
IMG_0613.jpeg
IMG_0613.jpeg (100.78 KiB) Viewed 9918 times
IMG_0611.jpeg
IMG_0611.jpeg (118.55 KiB) Viewed 9918 times
I am hoping they come through. I will add more later. Please ask if there is something in particular you want. Dave

Sunshineboys

Post by Sunshineboys »

IMG_0616.jpeg
IMG_0616.jpeg (97.61 KiB) Viewed 9918 times
IMG_0618.jpeg
IMG_0618.jpeg (92.97 KiB) Viewed 9918 times
IMG_0617.jpeg
IMG_0617.jpeg (72.01 KiB) Viewed 9918 times

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Nice!! How bad is the forend cut?

Sunshineboys

Post by Sunshineboys »

IMG_0627.jpeg
IMG_0627.jpeg (157.77 KiB) Viewed 9916 times
I take it that there is no hope of replacing the stock? Dave
Repeat of question from first post…….
I reload so I bought all I needed to reload the 6.5x55. I have been using some cast bullet low power loads with 17.0 grains of SR4759 and a 140 grain Hornady bullet. I graduated to 32 grains of IMR4831 just a couple days ago and it shot fantastic at 50 yards. I have one technical question….when lifting the bolt handle to extract the empty brass at about 2/3 of the way I hit a hard spot and have to kick the bolt handle with my palm to get the bolt to the top and complete the extraction. Any ideas what the problem may be or is this normal?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

William Brophy's book, "The Krag Rifle", has a good chapter on Norwegian Krags.
That chapter was written by Sigurd Halverson, who also did the photographs of the Norwegian models.
(Brophy's book is out-of-print, but used copies show up on ebay).

Buy one. It's a good read and resource!

It is unfortunate that your cavalry carbine stock was 'cut-down'.

IMO - Enjoy your Krag, as it is, and keep an eye out for the missing 'swivel-eye' and barrel-band.
If you get those parts, a facsimile of the missing forearm could be shaped and spliced on.

Attached is Halverson's entry on the Norwegian model-1895 Kavalerikarabin:
Attachments
Norwegian Cavalry carbine model 1895.JPG
Norwegian Cavalry carbine model 1895.JPG (742.15 KiB) Viewed 9896 times