Military Krag

U.S. Military Krags
Sunshineboys

Military Krag

Post by Sunshineboys »

I am looking at this to buy. I have no knowledge of US military Krags. Does it appear to be complete and can anyone tell the model and scarcity? Dave
IMG_0643.jpeg
IMG_0643.jpeg (153.91 KiB) Viewed 2657 times
IMG_0642.jpeg
IMG_0642.jpeg (96.76 KiB) Viewed 2663 times
Last edited by Sunshineboys on Thu Jun 15, 2023 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

Blueheeler

Re: Military Krag

Post by Blueheeler »

We need more pictures and a serial number would be really helpful, the front sight is not too clear but it looks like it may be a non original 1903 type, indicating a cut down rifle, but again the more pictures the better if you want a real anaysis.

King carp

Post by King carp »

From the single picture it looks like a cut down rifle with a sanded stock incorrect front sight and new sling. What is the asking price?

Sunshineboys

Post by Sunshineboys »

I do not have any details yet nor any detailed photos. I have asked. Asking price is north of $1,000.00
Serial number 1955xx. Stock has an armoury repair and a clear inspection cartouche. Thoughts about value? Dave
Last edited by Sunshineboys on Thu Jun 15, 2023 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whig

Post by Whig »

The leather sling, carbine scabbard and McKeever cartridge case are nice. The rifle, not worth much. Cut down rifle stock, wrong banded front sight, no hand guard. Rifle is sporterized and looks to be worth around $300-400 as a shooter from the looks of it. Bore condition may determine accuracy. No military collector's value from these pictures. Accoutrements worth around $200-300 or so.

More pictures would help. Can't tell for sure about the rear sight. If it is a carbine rear sight, it has some more value by itself. The leaf is riding high in the base, so, it could be a carbine sight.

I don't think this is worth anywhere near the asking price. Focus on the firearm for value, not the accoutrements.

Good job asking first, if you don't know much about Krags. Too often we have someone stop by after a bad purchase and ask "How'd I do?"!! Research and ask questions first. Don't learn the hard way like some people. We'll help as much as we can. Keep looking.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dave: Whig gave very valid and complete observations.

The altered U.S. Krag you are asking about is a bad deal, Run Away!

(Are you possibly located in Canada? If so, I imagine U.S. Krag stuff doesn't show up too often.
'Cut-down' Krag rifles are very common in the U.S. They are difficult to sell, often mistaken for real carbines, and usually overpriced).

I would recommend you purchase a basic Krag reference book to increase your enjoyment and knowledge.

The late Joe Poyer's book, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine", shows up often on eBay for around $25.00.
The book contains some minor mistakes and uses unofficial parts "types", but it contains lots of useful information, photographs, and drawings.

Gdawg47

Post by Gdawg47 »

Joe Poyer‘s book is also available on Amazon for the Kindle format which can be written on a Kindle on an iPad and iPhone or even a PC great for bookmarking stuff and doing research

Sunshineboys

Post by Sunshineboys »

Thanks to everyone. The stock does look short for the length of barrel and I agree that the banded sight does not seem original. Serial number 1955xx should be a valuable piece of information to provide history. Dave

Mike4MSU

Post by Mike4MSU »

I’m sure someone can/will come back when this was manufactured. But the best thing you did was come here before making a purchase

Regardless of the S/N or date of manufacture, the rifle has no historical value with the modifications that have been made. If it’s has a true carbine sight, the parts may come close to the asking price on a good day, but as others have said, there are endless numbers of cut down out there for less and correcting this one would be more costly than buying one.

If it were me, I’d pass.

Sunshineboys

Post by Sunshineboys »

Well, the serial number is posted here now. Also, I have asked for close up photos of the front and rear sights and barrel length. When I get those I will post them here. Dave….barrel is 24 inches.
IMG-2069.jpeg
IMG-2069.jpeg (68.49 KiB) Viewed 2513 times
IMG-2068.jpeg
IMG-2068.jpeg (51.12 KiB) Viewed 2513 times
IMG-2059.jpeg
IMG-2059.jpeg (73.75 KiB) Viewed 2513 times
Last edited by Sunshineboys on Fri Jun 16, 2023 7:59 am, edited 2 times in total.