1943 Inland M1 Carbine

Other Firearms
P0H0

1943 Inland M1 Carbine

Post by P0H0 »

My M1 Carbine began restoration about 3-years ago and was just completed. She is a 1943 with correct parts and wood.

So excited!

High Res Photos Here:https://share.icloud.com/photos/088eV1j ... z7MaR-E5VQ

IMG_1246.jpeg
IMG_1246.jpeg (179.47 KiB) Viewed 8553 times

butlersrangers

Re: 1943 Inland M1 Carbine

Post by butlersrangers »

You have a nice looking M1 carbine.
The color made me think the wood was birch, but your 'cloud' photos show a stock with walnut looking grain.
I like the neat early features on this carbine.

At the beginning of the month, I took my National Postal Meter, 'G.I. rebuild', to the range for an 'outing'.
My carbine is all U.S. parts, but was imported from Korea, via Blue Sky. I got it real cheap, years ago.

I had not shot this carbine in years, because I did not have very much .30 Carbine ammo.
Recently, at Rural King, I grabbed a 50rd box of Armscor carbine ammo for $19.99, to give it a try.

I found that the Armscor bullet 'ogive' was unusual and inhibited the proper chambering of some rounds in my carbine.
I ran the Armscor ammo through a seating Die and seated the bullets slightly deeper.

Range results were gratifying, at 50 yards, with my carbine and the altered Armscor ammo. There were no failures or cycling problems.
(I wish, I had bought a few boxes of the Armscor ammunition. Well, I have some empty .30 Carbine Brass to reload, now).

The M1 Carbine is very fun to shoot at 50 yards!

My M2 'pot-bellied' stock is birch and marked 'SA'. My barrel is marked 'MARLIN'.
The one change I made to this carbine was replacing the 'push-button' safety with a 'winged' rotating one.
(Otherwise, I was 'dropping' the magazine every time I went to push the safety, off)!
Attachments
IMG_2696.JPG
IMG_2696.JPG (174.17 KiB) Viewed 8541 times
IMG_2705.JPG
IMG_2705.JPG (345.93 KiB) Viewed 8541 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I never had a very high regard for the M1 Carbine, until I studied about it for a bit.

It was quite the manufacturing marvel, with 6 1/2 million assembled by nine or ten contractors, with components from 100s of parts producers.
(It all makes me think of LEGOS)!

My interest was piqued by my father-in-law, who carried one through Normandy, 'The Bulge', and Germany, as a crew member on a huge 240 mm Howitzer.
During the "Bulge Counter-Attack", he was sent to the area with numerous other artillerymen, who had trained on the U.S. 75 mm. cannon.
As an expedient, they simply 'manned' captured German 77 mm guns, that had been 'left' in Belgium.

My father-in-law's regular assignment was as a private, assigned to a big Howitzer, that had the name "BOUGAINVILLE" chalked on its super long barrel.

The attached photo is of my father-in-law with his slung carbine, behind him is a Sherman w/o its turret.

Initially, a pair of 'altered' tanks were used as tractors by the battery, to tow the gun carriage and a trailer conveying the dismounted barrel.
A Crane accompanied the four-howitzer battery.
In 15 to 20 minutes, the battery could have their guns assembled, dug-in, camouflaged, and Firing.
With good 'Fire Control', three shots would have the four-gun battery landing projectiles within inches of a target, 12 to 20 miles away.
Their 'eyes' were a couple of guys in a Piper Cub. Communication was by Field Telephone. Calculations were done with paper and pencil.
Fuses were set by hand. The heavy projectiles were propelled by 'adjusted' bags of cannon powder.

In this 'beehive' of activity, the little carbine was a pretty handy tool for self-defense, if just for reassurance.
My father-in-law didn't see any enemy 'close-up', who wasn't dead or a POW.
The gun crews loved to see U.S. Tanks. 'Tankers' would give them Hot Water and Coffee!
Attachments
ad4 ggpa harry downs ww2.jpg
ad4 ggpa harry downs ww2.jpg (99.38 KiB) Viewed 8517 times

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

During the "Bulge Counter-Attack", he was sent to the area with numerous other artillerymen, who had trained on the U.S. 75 mm. cannon.
As an expedient, they simply 'manned' captured German 77 mm guns, that had been 'left' in Belgium.
Holy cow! They would just setup as use the abandoned German artillery?

It’s awesome that you have his story to share :-). That’s a great photo — I noticed in actual pictures not many GIs put the mag pouch on the butt stock.

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

That’s a great looking carbine BR! I want to get a nice potbelly down the road too.
had not shot this carbine in years, because I did not have very much .30 Carbine ammo.
Recently, at Rural King, I grabbed a 50rd box of Armscor carbine ammo for $19.99, to give it a try.

I found that the Armscor bullet 'ogive' was unusual and inhibited the proper chambering of some rounds in my carbine.
I ran the Armscor ammo through a seating Die and seated the bullets slightly deeper.

Range results were gratifying, at 50 yards, with my carbine and the altered Armscor ammo. There were no failures or cycling problems.
(I wish, I had bought a few boxes of the Armscor ammunition. Well, I have some empty .30 Carbine Brass to reload, now).
That’s a really good price! I am tempted to run put and get some, but having to reseat them sounds concerning.

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Dad and I picked up our first carbine, an Inland a couple years ago (at the MAAC show actually). I shot it in the National Carbine Match last year at Perry, and while fun to shoot, and an interesting match, it's not one I'll likely shoot again anytime soon. I do like shooting the carbine though - a fun gun to shoot for sure... but not the most accurate weapon out past 50 yards!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Light weight and a relatively heavy 'single-stage' trigger make it a challenge.

MooseNugget

Post by MooseNugget »

Thanks for sharing your story about your father-in-law Chuck. WOW, 15-20 minutes to setup a behemoth of a howitzer...incredible!!!

Takes me a half hour to setup and shoot a .22 at the range.

IIRC: A number years back a KCA member was fortunate enough to purchase a crate of M1 carbines. The crate contained just about every M1 carbine by manufacturer. It was an impressive find but I can't seem to find the previous posting.

Shown below is my early Winchester M1 carbine. Okay, before you guys jump all over me I did add a few embellishments to the old pew pew (bayonet lug, 30 rd mag, butt stock mag pouch, flash hider, etc).
Attachments
M1 Carbine.JPG
M1 Carbine.JPG (78.42 KiB) Viewed 8460 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Funny thing ... my first experience shooting the M1 carbine was actually a police M2 carbine, in full-auto!

A gunsmith/friend had repaired one for a local PD and we were testing the function.

I 'under-shot' the target, but plowed up the ground real good. If the target had been a hoodlum, I'd have made him "dance"!

There were sure a lot of accessories hung on that M2 carbine to counteract 'Climb'.

MooseNugget

Post by MooseNugget »

Hilarious story! Now I know why seeing someone’s feet, in the photos they submit, brings you so much pleasure.