Strange Krag and M1903 Stock Modifications

U.S. Military Krags
waterman

Re: Strange Krag and M1903 Stock Modifications

Post by waterman »

I agree that the availability of .22 rimfire training rifles and the WW1 need to train hundreds of thousands of young men (or more than a million) in a short period of time put an end to the use of those expensive and time-consuming devices. In both the US & UK, most of the lads, both volunteers and conscripts, were given a day or two with a .22 rimfire Winder Musket (US) or a Martini (UK) to learn to hit some sort of target, another day or two learning how to shoot their service rifles, then off to the front. Their minders probably spent more time training the lads to put on their gas masks or fight with their bayonets or dig trenches than they did teaching rifle accuracy. Hundreds of thousands of machine guns fired billions of cartridges. Massed artillery fired enormous barrages. After 1915, rifles were almost irrelevant, just handles for bayonets.

In the post-WW1 period, with a general reduction in the size of military establishments, all that antiquated stuff was probably tossed out. How many toasters contemporary with Cummings devices have survived? In the 1920s, public sentiment was largely anti-military, esp. in the UK. All the more reason for those gizmos to go onto the trash heap.

While I'm on that rant, only this year did the UK release their 1921 Census. They've been afraid someone would be able to tally their 1914-1918 casualties.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I wish the subject of the Cumming's "Sub-Target Gun Machine" could be made a 'sticky' on the KCA Forum.
Over the past 12 years, new members have posted questions or photos, showing stocks or 'linkage-parts', that have proved related to the Cumming's Sub-Target Machine.

Searching old threads will reveal a number of times this subject has come up.
I find this contraption rather fascinating and a 'training device', very connected to the late Krag and pre-WW1 Springfield Rifle era.
It caught the interest of Teddy Roosevelt and some rather influential proponents of national marksmanship training.

Cumming's Machines or licensed copies were sold to 35 countries.

Per William Brophy, "The Springfield 1903 Rifles", page 523:

"The Sub-Target Machine was first designed for use
with the Krag rifle. Upon adoption of the '03, the machine
was redesigned for use with the new rifle. The Chief of
Ordnance procured forty-five machines in 1908 for a ser-
vice test."

Many publications have shown material, graphics, or photographs related to the H.H. Cummings training devices and machines, but this stuff is often misunderstood or passed over.

The KCA Forum's older threads (if intact) are quite a repository of content related to the Cumming's Machine. (I suspect people are pretty tired of my repetitions).

Attached graphics show 'cable-linkage' components, seemingly favored in North America, for operation of the Sub-Target Gun Machine.
The system must have used bicycle type cables and seems to have undergone tweaks and evolution, during the years of its manufacture.
The eventual Krag linkage looks identical to the one used on the 1903 Springfield Rifle.
What I suspect is an early 'Krag Linkage' may have just been a patent model or just made in very limited numbers, before revised(?).
Attachments
STGM early linkage.JPG
STGM early linkage.JPG (182.09 KiB) Viewed 757 times
strm-krg-knob_link_001.jpeg
strm-krg-knob_link_001.jpeg (55.06 KiB) Viewed 759 times
STGM 1903 rifle-1.JPG
STGM 1903 rifle-1.JPG (291.7 KiB) Viewed 762 times
STGM 1903 rifle-2.JPG
STGM 1903 rifle-2.JPG (229.04 KiB) Viewed 762 times

ebruce

Post by ebruce »

Bean counter delight. Otherwise, what in the same hill is this abomination supposed to accomplish? My cow! Even the 1903 had "gallery practice cartridges" available for getting the shooting skills of servicemen up to snuff. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

In 1903 the Director of Civilian Marksmanship Program was founded by Congress.
The DCM, (now called the CMP), was founded for the purpose of improving the country's military defense & preparedness for future wars, through improved marksmanship training.

The War in Cuba and continuing struggles in the Philippines, indicated a need for better military Marksmanship.
Teaching the urban Civilian population, especially the youth, improved 'rifle shooting skills', that could be drawn upon in a time of war, was seen as a solution.

(The British, who experienced a similar lesson during their conflict in South Africa against the sharpshooting Boers, were also motivated to take remedial action).

A simulator-device, like the Cumming's Sub-Target Gun Machine, gave a safe avenue for basic shooting skills training.
This was especially attractive for growing population areas, since ammunition and range facilities were not required.

The urban male youth of America were viewed as 'going to Hell', through idleness, smoking, petty crime, Pool and Gambling.
A device that allowed learning proper aim, sight-picture, trigger-squeeze, shooting positions, and follow-through, could redirect perdition into preparedness.

New York City leaders, philanthropists, and the Public School System, got on board with the idea.
It also attracted teenage boys.
Dry-firing at a distant target, using a rifle tethered to a device that precisely recorded your efforts, (with pin-pricks on a parallel 'sub-target'), was useful, fun, and motivating.
Improvements in aim, trigger skills, and shooting position, would result in shrinking 'pin-prick' groups. The little sub-targets could be scored.
City-wide competitions, with prizes, school trophies and newspaper recognition, caught the interest of school boys.

This equipment also seemed useful practice for National Guard units, military recruits, and competition shooters.

Nowadays, real money is being spent on 'Laser Dry Fire Systems', that score 'hits' on a distant target.
These Laser strikes display as simulated bullet holes on the "shooter's" smartphone screen.

IMO - This is a modern evolution of Cumming's idea. I would love to have a Laser System for Krag indoor practice!
Attachments
strikeman.jpg
strikeman.jpg (144.17 KiB) Viewed 701 times
modern dry-fire.jpg
modern dry-fire.jpg (640.52 KiB) Viewed 701 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Boy! ... I wish we had a couple of them Cumming's Sub-Target Machines.
My britches are getting grass stains and dirty!
Attachments
training_krag2_001.jpg
training_krag2_001.jpg (472.14 KiB) Viewed 673 times