1899 Krag Carbine

U.S. Military Krags
RickyG

1899 Krag Carbine

Post by RickyG »

Just bumped into a carbine and had to grab.it. i tried putting what little knowledge I had towards it and didn't have time to come here for advice. It was move now or lose it.

I would appreciate any input...

Thank you
Rick

Serial 288093, 22" barrel, c marked sight, front sight blade was changed

Photos here on drop box...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/f2r0cs0yufck ... 40dAa?dl=0

King carp

Re: 1899 Krag Carbine

Post by King carp »

Welcome to the KCA. From the pics shown it looks like you have a nice 1899 Krag carbine. One thing that is not original to your carbine is the front sight blade. Probably changed to work with the ammo used with it. How is the bore? Cleaning rod and oiler in but trap by any chance? Good luck with your new carbine!

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

No cleaning kit. Bore is very nice. I THINK someone tapped the stock for sling swivels as they are single hole and no inlet but im not sure.

King carp

Post by King carp »

A lot of Krag carbines had swivels added after leaving Uncle Sams warehouse. It seems some had swivels added while in service. Either way its part of the carbines history.

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

Thanks for the input. I have been looking for a verifiable carbine for a long time. I might have paid up for this one but I wanted it so.....

I still have my rifle to finish. It has full length metal but the stock was sported so i have been on the hunt for a stock for years.

It is in this photo here...

https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/h7nubwc4 ... hgu0z&dl=0

Whig

Post by Whig »

Welcome to KCA Ricky! I hope you enjoy your Model 1899 Krag carbine! The muzzle looks smoothed and rounded a little more than usual for some reason. Probably OK though. The front barrel band is backwards. The "U" should be on the right side. Easy switch. If the bolt and chamber work fine and look unaltered and undamaged, you need to take her out and shoot her some now. Keep us informed about any range time you experience with your Krag. Hope you have some ammunition. Sometimes it's hard to find these days. Keep all of the brass for reloading. Good luck!

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

Thanks. Have been here since last year read more than post as I am trying to add to my krag knowledge. Im pretty solid on most American and German surplus but lack severely in krag info

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'RickyG' - You acquired a legitimate U.S. Krag carbine.
U.S. model 1899 carbine, serial number 288093, was assembled around September or October, 1900.
Your serial number is not listed in the Springfield Research Services (SRS) data. Most Krags are not.

It is most likely your carbine was used by a later civilian owner for 'Hunting', hence the commercial front-sight blade, sling-swivel hole, and refinishing of the stock.
Those are pretty common 'blemishes' on many real Krag carbines.
For shooting, that Redfield front blade is quite an improvement over the issue blade. (Reproduction blades are available from S&S Firearms, Glendale, N.Y.)
An original oiler & 3 section cleaning-rod can be purchased from 'Grampa's Gun Parts', (link in KCA Classifieds).

Enjoy your carbine, it's good for the range, as is!

Pick up a copy of Poyer's book, "The American Krag Rifle and Carbine", for about $25 on ebay. It's not perfect, but it does have a lot of good information.
It will increase your enjoyment of your Krags.

I took the liberty of posting a couple of your photos. (The off-site posted pictures will soon be gone).
Attachments
ricky-0.jpeg
ricky-0.jpeg (245.27 KiB) Viewed 1515 times
ricky-1.jpeg
ricky-1.jpeg (672.86 KiB) Viewed 1515 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

FWIW - If removing a Krag front-sight blade, drive the tapered pin Left to Right.

Attached photos - OP's front-sight photo, original model 1899 carbine F/S, and stored rod-sections & oiler.
Attachments
ricky2.jpeg
ricky2.jpeg (585.95 KiB) Viewed 1502 times
krag'99-blade-ed2.jpg
krag'99-blade-ed2.jpg (65.65 KiB) Viewed 1502 times
krag-stuff_in_place_003.jpeg
krag-stuff_in_place_003.jpeg (93.95 KiB) Viewed 1502 times

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

Any idea what I SHOULD have paid? lol