Carbine info request

U.S. Military Krags
RickyG

Carbine info request

Post by RickyG »

Back again, looking for input, information and opinion. A guy heard me talking krag and how excited I was to find a carbine. He brought me granddaddy's little rifle in case I was interested.... well I'm interested but not sure what I'm looking at. It excites me but....

Anyhow...

22" barrel
Stock looks to be a correct carbine stock
Looks to be a possible 1892 rifle rear sight
Serial 27054

Thanks for help in advance

Culpeper

Re: Carbine info request

Post by Culpeper »

Jump on it! Now!! It is in the 1896C range of serial numbers. ...At least I would if it was me.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Whig

Post by Whig »

Bore condition and price are a concern with a Model 1892 rear sight. This is, of course, not the correct sight for this carbine. You could use it but there might be some elevation issues with shooting it. A correct Model 1896 carbine sight, which rarely comes up for sale, costs $1,000 or more by itself. But, for the right price and if it isn't beat up too much or have a sewer pipe bore, I would consider it. Pictures would really help us enjoy your possible new treasure a lot more! Good luck and let us know how it works out.

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

When i get photos Ill post. Just scored the Brophy book on ebay for 100. Seems like a good price from what I see elsewhere.

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

Carbine id'd thanks to tom butts. Likely will pass at the price requested. Its an 1896, 92, 98/99 with likely some repro or refinished parts

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

If possible, please post some pictures of this Krag. The serial number, 27054, makes it an interesting example.

It is a fun mental & learning exercise, for many of us, to process and analyze even a 'mixmaster' Krag.

I guarantee you will learn a lot about Krags in the process.

Enjoy your copy of Brophy's book, "The Krag Rifle".

Even Krags that were 'altered' for Hunting can make for interesting study and serve as good 'shooters'.
Attachments
a_little_krag-2.jpg
a_little_krag-2.jpg (442.05 KiB) Viewed 735 times