Needing advise…is it or isn’t it?

U.S. Military Krags
Sunshineboys

Needing advise…is it or isn’t it?

Post by Sunshineboys »

Looking at this rifle on line and wonder what it is? I have a Krag Jorgenson but no US Krag. Photos included. Cannot see any cartouche in the stock. I have asked for the serial number. Ideas? Listed as an arsenal carbine.
IMG_0777.jpeg
IMG_0777.jpeg (61.92 KiB) Viewed 997 times
IMG_0776.jpeg
IMG_0776.jpeg (50.09 KiB) Viewed 997 times
IMG_0773.jpeg
IMG_0773.jpeg (39.01 KiB) Viewed 997 times
IMG_0781.jpeg
IMG_0781.jpeg (59.52 KiB) Viewed 983 times
Last edited by Sunshineboys on Thu Jul 27, 2023 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FredC

Re: Needing advise…is it or isn’t it?

Post by FredC »

We need close ups of the sights. On the bottom photo I think I am seeing a band under the sight. If so it could be an arsenal converted rifle. With no paperwork an arsenal converted rifle cannot be differentiated from a privately done conversion and will not have any enhanced value over a privately converted rifle.

Sunshineboys

Post by Sunshineboys »

Thanks. Close up of front sight? If so I have added it. Hoping there is someone who can shed some light on this. Waiting…patiently?

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It is not a Benecia Arsenal "DCM/NRA Carbine". The stock forearm-tip, 'banded' front-sight, and muzzle 'crown' are not correct for the Arsenal cut-down rifles.

This simply appears to be a U.S. model 1898 infantry rifle that a civilian has shortened for Hunting.
The rear-sight is a 1902 rifle sight, and the stock has rifle sling-swivels.

It is a useful shooter, but nothing collectible.
Last edited by butlersrangers on Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sunshineboys

Post by Sunshineboys »

So, it has to be a cut down rifle by it’s previous owners? I find it interesting that the upper wood is there and the barrel band. What about the sling swivels? Thanks for the quick replies and info supplied. I have talked with the seller. If he comes down in price I would be interested. Any idea what this would sell for in the USA market? Dave
Last edited by Sunshineboys on Thu Jul 27, 2023 1:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Whig

Post by Whig »

Sunshine...

As stated, a cut down, sporterized Krag rifle. Someone did the dirty work sometime in the last 120 years or so. Thousands of these were sold for a couple dollars in the 20s and 30s and beyond. Many, if not most, of the Krag rifles during this time were cut down to make them easier to carry and shoot for hunting. .30-40 Krag ammunition was plentiful and inexpensive then. Great hunting round for most North America game. Many people mistake these for carbines and many sellers advertise them, knowingly or unknowingly, as carbines. Since the stock is a cut down rifle stock, it is irrelevant that the sling swivels are there or that there is no cartouche. Put a sling on it! The rear sight is a rifle sight. The hand guard and rear sight are nice and have some value. The parts are worth more than the rifle as is. If the bore is good and has rifling, it should be a good shooting Krag which is nice but not much value. These sell for around $400 now. There are many, many of these available. Bore condition is paramount! Anything in the butt of the stock? Do you want a collectible Krag or a shooter?

Whig

Post by Whig »

Make sure you ask about the bore condition!!

Knute1

Post by Knute1 »

So this is an 1898 "sporterized" Krag, presumably done for hunting needs, as others have pointed out. Period outdoor magazines promoted and informed readers how to modify a military Krag to be a good hunting rifle. Some were attractively done, like Colonel Townsend Whelen's Krag. Some were done by less than experts, such as my first Krag. If you were looking for a military Krag you would be looking at twice the money that this one you are presently looking at is worth (and more). So, if you are looking for a full military Krag you can be patient, get informed, and look for a good deal. Otherwise, if you aren't looking at investing that much at this time and still have a bug to get a piece of history in your hands, then a sporterized Krag is an option. Bringing back a sporterized Krag to it's original glory is not always a feasible option either, in case you are contemplating doing that. Stay with us and we can help you get the information you need to decide on the direction you want to go.
Know that some of us have sporterized Krags. They fill a niche. I personally started with a sporterized version, caught the bug, and then invested in a full military version after finding a good deal (actually from an Uncle with a nephew's discount). I have successfully used my sporterized Krag for hunting. The .30-40 ballistics is on par with the .303 British cartridge.

Sunshineboys

Post by Sunshineboys »

Good advise and facts from all……thanks. I passed on it. Asking price was $1,200.00 and he would not move where I wanted to go. So, I am moving on. Dave

Whig

Post by Whig »

That's definitely not a deal. You were very wise to ask here first. Many times we get first time visitors posting "Look what I just bought. How'd I do?" Bad news is hard to swallow when you just wasted $1,000 or more on a bad purchase.

There are a lot of good Krags out there. We have given some advice of what to look for and what's important. We'll help as much as we can! Good luck.