1898 Krag rifle - pending restoration

U.S. Military Krags
RickyG

1898 Krag rifle - pending restoration

Post by RickyG »

I am a bit perturbed mostly at myself because I took things at face value and didnt ask for more detailed photos. If I am wrong I hope to be corrected here and I also need input and advice.

I purchased the 1898 rifle listed in the classifieds. In the photos I see what is reasonably an 800$ rifle. I got it today..... a lot was not described in this rifle

There is a large unstable crack in the wood left of the left side receiver plate. There is a LOT of rust and pitting, marking to the metal which was not photographed.

The rifle WILL NOT feed from the magazine regardless of switch positioning. A video is posted. The follower does not move, try to move or anything. The rifle will not feed.

The wood i can clean and stabilize but I am not sure what to do about the rest and am hoping for advice. I have an 1896 rifle in need of a stock... is this 1900 stock and handguard suitable for my 1896 rifle?

Im hoping for some input... very perturbed right now.

Photos and videos here...

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/cmvqtqedtveo ... E6WSa?dl=0
Last edited by RickyG on Sat Aug 05, 2023 12:13 am, edited 1 time in total.

butlersrangers

Re: 1898 Krag rifle - unhappy

Post by butlersrangers »

'RickyG' - I think you are correct about the posted description and photos of this U.S. Krag rifle, serial number 276697, being misleading.
The rifle, that you received, is in rougher shape, than I would have expected, from the presentation contained in the KCA Classifieds.
The $800 price now seems overly high, IMO.

I have never seen a Krag 'stock-break' quite like the one which you have shown.
(It is likely repairable and may require some refitting of the action in the stock? It appears to have been caused by some outward pressure on the wood).
Maybe someone once tried to pry off the left side-plate, without taking the barreled-receiver out of the stock?

I believe the magazine-feed problem is the result of a broken or missing flat-spring. This spring powers the carrier/follower arm and puts pressure on the hinge of the magazine-gate. (A replacement spring will cost about $35 to $40 on eBay).

I don't know if you want to keep, repair/restore, and cleanup this Krag. The bore, metal and wood finish don't look so good in your photos.

It is worthwhile to contact the seller and inform him of your disappointment and the major flaws that were not disclosed. Maybe it can be returned for a refund?
A major price adjustment might also be negotiated, if you wish to do a restoration?

The wood is a model 1898 stock and will not fit your model 1896 Krag.

I am reposting some of your photos to make it convenient for others to give you feedback.
Attachments
classifieds 0.jpeg
classifieds 0.jpeg (470.92 KiB) Viewed 827 times
classifieds 1.jpeg
classifieds 1.jpeg (561.3 KiB) Viewed 827 times
classifieds 2.jpeg
classifieds 2.jpeg (925.54 KiB) Viewed 827 times
classifieds 3.jpeg
classifieds 3.jpeg (607.4 KiB) Viewed 827 times
classifieds 4.jpeg
classifieds 4.jpeg (707.55 KiB) Viewed 827 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

A couple more pictures of RickyG's Krag:
Attachments
classifieds 5.jpeg
classifieds 5.jpeg (640.62 KiB) Viewed 827 times
classifieds 6.jpeg
classifieds 6.jpeg (779.63 KiB) Viewed 827 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

A parts schematic and photo showing the tip of the spring that powers carrier-arm & follower and tensions magazine-gate.
Attachments
Krag-parts2_010.jpeg
Krag-parts2_010.jpeg (134.88 KiB) Viewed 824 times
Krag-mag-sprg_020.jpeg
Krag-mag-sprg_020.jpeg (81.29 KiB) Viewed 824 times

Whig

Post by Whig »

Ricky, Welcome to KCA. Thanks for the nice pictures and videos. You do have a frustrating dilemma. I would be pissed also. I saw that listing and thought it was a good price for what was listed but you got a lemon not worth that price. Who sold it to you? I don't know if just any passer by can sell something through the KCA listing or if it can only be members. I know that you need to send the listing and have it posted by an administrator. I know that the administrator does not possess or examine the item listed but, since KCA posts it, I would think KCA has some duty to make sure that a seller does not mis-represent nor rip off a buyer for an item listed here.

I wouldn't fool with trying to repair this. Unless you really want a fixer up and could negotiate a return of about half of your purchase price, I would want a return to the seller and a full refund, including shipping because the item was mis-represented. There is a generally accepted policy of a three day return policy if you don't shoot the firearm. Tom Butts should chime in. I read the classified instructions. TOM - There should be a clause that states the three day no shooting full return policy that is common on many sales sights. Just a suggestion. Something needs to be said also about honest descriptions. This item was not described properly. Is the seller a member?

Good luck. I hope you can get satisfaction with a return and find a great Krag to use and be proud of owning! We will help as much as we can.

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

No i dont think he is a member. I think it was listed with what information kca was given. I am TRYING to think there was and is no intent to deceive here. I dont know if i am able to return it to shooting condition and just enjoy it as a shooter. Will see what happens. I think it may end up being a parts gun. I truly hate to strip a krag into pieces but if i do, once i clean the wood and stabilize the crack. I may be able to recoup most if not all of it.

Will advise on outcome

Whig

Post by Whig »

Good luck. Keep us informed.

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

I ordered the magazine spring from ebay. Can anyone please step by step me into putting it in? If i can get it to feed and test fire it i will start a restore. If i can restore it maybe will have at least a semi decent shooter example or even if sold as a restore maybe get half my stake back to continue the search for a nice one.

Already contacted the seller, showed and told him if i had known and seen this in person i likely would have been tops 3-400 just for a chance at a shooter restore. No reply yet. Wife is guessing I'm SOL on that

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'RickyG' - I have bumped a couple of old KCA threads that discuss magazine feed and assembly and disassembly.
They now appear very near this thread.

Used the KCA search feature to find old discussions of similar problems.

I hope the 'Seller' does right by you!

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Does the seller have a name? Apparently it was, at the very least, mis-described, and at worst deliberate fraud.

I believe his name should be exposed, along with - to be fair - whatever (if any) settlement is ultimately reached.