Another Norwegian Krag

European Krags
Sunshineboys

Re: Another Norwegian Krag

Post by Sunshineboys »

Thanks BR. Very informative. Well….it will not effect the second stage? I am thinking that it does. I do not seem to have a second stage. I will ponder the problem. Remove the spring? Not sure that is a good idea either. Dave

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Dave - I don't think you want to remove that spring.

The Norwegians added the small flat spring to control random vertical movement of the striker-rod and give a more uniform engagement of the sear with the cocking-piece. The design retained the two-stages of trigger-sear movement, in order to release the striker.

If your trigger is overly 'light' and no longer requires two-stages of movement to release, it is likely,
a later civilian owner removed metal from the areas I have marked in 'pink' in the drawing.

The 'hump' on the trigger, is intended to contact and roll on the bottom of the receiver, lessening sear-engagement and bringing the 'tail' of the trigger against the receiver. This completes stage-one.
The rotation on the 'tail' creates the second-stage and lowers the sear to the release point.

If the 'hump' has been removed or reduced, it brings the 'tail' of the trigger (green circle) into direct contact with the receiver.
Making the 'tail' the immediate and only fulcrum, This alters the trigger to "one stage".

Restoration requires replacing the parts with unaltered ones.
Attachments
metal altered.JPG
metal altered.JPG (488.95 KiB) Viewed 14367 times

Sunshineboys

Post by Sunshineboys »

Very easy to understand the way you describe it. The difficult part is measuring the trigger parts to check them. I will attempt that. I do have the carbine here to check against. I will do some snooping and then post back here. Thanks.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Visual inspection of parts and their interaction, especially the movement of the trigger and sear (with the action out of the stock), can reveal a lot to you.

With the bolt out of the action, it is possible to tell if the trigger and sear operate in two-stage mode, and view the amount of sear protrusion that remains,
when the first stage is taken up.

You can experiment by switching the bolts, between your two Norwegian Krags, just to see how it changes the trigger-pulls.

It is possible that excessive metal was removed from the 'bent' (engagement notch) of the cocking-piece,
in an unconventional approach to eliminating the two-stage trigger.
A 'test', by switching bolts, might reveal if a cocking-piece alteration is your culprit.

The attached Norwegian Patent Drawing, I suspect, intends to show the trigger and sear positions at the end of stage-one. (at 1/2 bent with cocking-piece & tail of trigger touching receiver)
Attachments
norwegian patent.JPG
norwegian patent.JPG (209.21 KiB) Viewed 14327 times

Sunshineboys

Post by Sunshineboys »

A great reply from someone who knows. I will check later this morning. Dave

Well….no worky. The bolt from my cavalry carbine will not go all the way into the Karabine. The extractor claw (cavalry) is further to the right side than the claw on the karabine bolt and it catches on the chamber mouth. I guess I could remove the extractors for the test. Hmmmmmm.
So, I removed the extractor from the CC bolt and inserted it. It does then have a slight second stage which I would be happy with but the other bolt has no second stage.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

You can try switching just the 'cocking-pieces'. If you are lucky, you may get two tolerable trigger-pulls. :lol: