Another Norwegian Krag

European Krags
butlersrangers

Re: Another Norwegian Krag

Post by butlersrangers »

In North America, Norwegian Krags with real nice bores seem to be a rarity.
It makes sense to me to enjoy this rifle, as a Range Gun/Shooter, and not pour $500-plus into restoration efforts.

If all the metal parts were original and matched, restoration would make more sense.

Sunshineboys

Post by Sunshineboys »

Thanks Butlersrangers and others here. I will leave it as is for now. I am trying some cast bullet loads. Lyman 266469 lubed with gas check over 25.0 grains of IMR4895. I believe that I am safe to go to 32.0 grains in this action. A prior owner thought it would shoot or he never would have added a target front sight and used accraglass (spelling) to bed it. I am going to somehow lengthen the butt back to original. Not sure how!
I would still like to see an original front sight set up. Dave

Sunshineboys

Post by Sunshineboys »

Butt cut by 1/2 to 3/4”. I would much prefer to buy, from someone who has a ruined stock, the last inch of wood with the butt plate attached. I could fix that onto my stock. I know it will never look stock. I do not want to add a butt pad but if all else fails. Ideas??

Sunshineboys

Post by Sunshineboys »

Update. I got to the range today. I fired some 140 grain jacketed with 30.0 grains 4895. At fifty yards group was OK at two inches for three shots. Shot low so I raised the rear sight to 400 and it was close then. The next two shots were the 143 grain cast with gas checks. Lyman 266469 mould. Shots were touching at fifty. Powder was 25 grains of 4895. All in all I was pleased. The only concern I have is that the trigger is way too light. I will investigate to see if possibly someone has fooled with the trigger. My other rifle, the one I was having trouble with extraction, worked perfectly. Pleased.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Is the 'light' trigger, still a two-stage trigger?

Photos of engaging surfaces of sear and striker-rod will allow assessment of modifications.

Sunshineboys

Post by Sunshineboys »

Trigger is no longer a two stage trigger as I know them. It just has a fairly long travel and “bang”. Not much resistance. I have not looked at it yet. If it has been tinkered with I would prefer a normal weight two stage trigger.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

If the distinct two-stages are gone, someone likely removed or lowered the 'hump' of the trigger body. (right red arrow)

The rear tip of the trigger body, which makes contact with the receiver and acts as a fulcrum, was also likely 'reshaped'. (left red arrow)

The actual sear tip is hidden in this photo, by the trigger body.

Photo is an original Norwegian trigger & sear listed on eBay by 'Tagmill', for $20.
I drew arrows at points where yours has likely been altered.
Attachments
norge trigger.jpg
norge trigger.jpg (308.19 KiB) Viewed 10700 times
Last edited by butlersrangers on Sat Sep 09, 2023 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sunshineboys

Post by Sunshineboys »

Thanks BR for the photo. If mine has been altered, and I believe it has, I will be looking for a replacement. Most sellers on ebay will not sell to a Canadian nor will they ship here. Regulations? A bridge I must cross to buy parts. I will take mine apart this morning to look and post a photo here. I have not attempted to get the trigger group out. It seems to have the two stage feel when the bolt is removed but the piece which engages with the bolt seems to be below that point by the time the second stage is reached. So, the trigger releases before the second stage? Nothing appears to have been tampered with. Pins etc. have no marks on them. My limited knowledge may be incorrect. Once the bolt is inserted everything changes? Also….I checked very closely and carefully squeezing the trigger when reassembled and there is no apparent second stage!
IMG_0886.jpeg
IMG_0886.jpeg (92.17 KiB) Viewed 10685 times
IMG_0887.jpeg
IMG_0887.jpeg (111.61 KiB) Viewed 10685 times
IMG_0888.jpeg
IMG_0888.jpeg (113.01 KiB) Viewed 10685 times
IMG_0890.jpeg
IMG_0890.jpeg (95.41 KiB) Viewed 10685 times

Sunshineboys

Post by Sunshineboys »

I decided to remove the bolt and stock from my cavalry carbine so I could compare because the cavalry has the definite two stages to the trigger pull. When I pull the trigger slowly I can see that the sear hits the second stage while still protruding about 1/32” above the slot in the action. This will allow the sear to contact the bolt until the second stage is pulled and releases the striker. In the Karabiner there is a spring like affair which is pinned into position in that channel to the rear of the sear. Not sure of it’s function or purpose. I believe it effects the function of the striker in the bolt, not allowing the second stage. You can s,ee this spring in the bottom photo above. Is that a factory part? I expect it is. I am hoping that someone can understand this and suggest a fix. Dave

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Around December 1906, the Norwegians added a small leaf spring to their Krag action to give a more consistent trigger-pull.
This spring was introduced at Receiver serial number 78900.

The spring presses up against the ('sear-engagement') lobe at the tail of the cocking piece-rod.
The spring reduces random up & down movement of the striker-rod, so sear engagement will be more uniform.

The 'support-spring' device was developed and patented in 1905, by Kongsberg Arms Factory Director, Captain M. Paaske, and Master Engineer M. Beck.

It is not likely that this 'support spring' would really alter the two-stage operation of the trigger.
Attachments
IMG_2882.JPG
IMG_2882.JPG (182.46 KiB) Viewed 10650 times
IMG_2883.JPG
IMG_2883.JPG (108.32 KiB) Viewed 10650 times