Meanwhile out on the range

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Culpeper

Meanwhile out on the range

Post by Culpeper »

Took my 430xxx out for a spin yesterday. I had made the loads a couple of years ago. I thought they were 175s since they were point bullets but they may have been open base 173s. Anywho. I just wanted to get on paper with this rifle and just had a heck of a time. I couldn't bring it in. Here is my fifty yard target. Sheesh.

At least I had a better time with my 1903.
Attachments
Untitledo so good.jpg
Untitledo so good.jpg (271.15 KiB) Viewed 7080 times
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

King carp

Re: Meanwhile out on the range

Post by King carp »

I had similar luck the last time i had my Krag out. I was shooting 210 grain cast bullets. I was part of the problem for sure but i think the load had something to do with it. Maybe a heavier weight pill that gets closer to the rifling might bring your groups in closer? If i found out one thing about reloading for my Krags and most other milsurps it is you have to experiment to find a accurate load. Its all part of the fun to me. My next outing i will be shooting 175 gr. cast that have worked before for me. Good luck on your next range trip.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Is this target fired Offhand or from the Bench?

There may be some vertical stringing of shots.

Check your rear Trigger-Guard screw.
If it is too tight, it could be 'levering' the barrel 'upward' from the stock's barrel-channel.

I seem to get the best results with the front trigger-guard screw tight, the rear guard-screw just snug,
and a thin sliver of light showing between the top of the barrel and the inside arch of the front barrel-band.

You might try that 'ammo-loading' in another Krag, that is known to be accurate, to determine if the big group is the ammo or the rifle (set-up).

Promising 50 yard benched groups should look something like the attached target.
Shooting 'Offhand' introduces a multitude of variables.
IMO - Inconsistencies in rifle assembly & reassembly can influence barrel 'harmonics' and change point of impact or make an accurate rifle inaccurate.
Attachments
friday range session-edit.jpg
friday range session-edit.jpg (114.81 KiB) Viewed 7032 times

waterman

Post by waterman »

With the OP target, are those completely round holes made by the bullets? To me, each bullet hole looks as if the target paper has torn.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Waterman, that's an interesting observation.

Are you saying that 'Culpeper' is unstable? :lol:

Whig

Post by Whig »

Offhand open original sights 50 yrds (Culpeper) compared to 50 yrds with a 3X Weaver scope from a benchrest (Butlers). Not really the best comparison! But, the ammo might not be the problem. It might be technique. Offhand open sights is NOT easy with a heavy Krag rifle!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

From the bench. From what I see on the target some of them may be tumbling. Then there is the matter grey tails printed on the holes which is why I think they may have been 173s. A buddy of mine assures me the grey colour is trailing lead. I think the load was 175s, WLR, 37.5 IMR 4064. That is the last entry in my reloading journal. COAL would be straight out of the Sierra book.

And I would like to address the matter my "unstableness" :( My un-stableness is quite stable thank you very much, Mister BR. :P In fact the folks at the home were wondering if they should set another place at the dining table after your last -ahem- visit. They also passed on people do not eat peas with pointed knives. :o I don't know what that means. :roll: :lol:

Boy, am I glad you guys are my friends. I wonder what my enemies have to say. :D
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Whig

Post by Whig »

The C.O.A.L. of these .30-40 Krag bullets can vary quite a bit. The Spitzer bullets compared to round nose bullets vary in length quite a bit. The chambers in different Krags vary also. To get technical, it can be real important, to maximize accuracy, to do a cast of your chamber and get measurements for optimum C.O.A.L. based on the ogive of the specific bullet you are using. Then, you want to make sure you are close to the lands but not jammed into them which increases pressure a bunch. Wow! There's always something with reloading to complicate the issue. I have one Krag rifle I shoot the most for consistency. I took a fired case and sent it in to LEE Precision to have them make me some custom dies to fit the case and the 220 grain round nose bullet I use the most. I did a chamber cast and made good measurements of my bore so I can try to eek out the most accuracy. I use, also, a Model 1901 rear sight which I like the most. All of this has given me the ability to get about 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with pretty good consistency. This is, of course, from a bench rest.

One of these days I'll do some chronograph measurements of my loads to look at velocity and standard deviation of velocity which can help determine consistency of my reloads.

I chose the Krag I used from several I have by comparing bore conditions, chamber conditions, crown and bolt function. I am using a Model 1898 made around 1903 that is in great condition overall. I really have not had to fool with loosening or tightening the barrel bands or trigger guard. I smoothed and polished the trigger and bolt bearing surfaces and lubricated with gun grease and oil. I also cycled thew bolt a few hundred times to make sure it was all well worn in.

Off hand, my groups open up like an infected sore. I don't practice off hand shooting much. I like bench rest precision shooting.

But, getting accuracy out of a Krag with open sights depends on a bunch of variables. It sure is a fun hobby, though.

Paul and others who shoot the Camp Perry competitions where off hand and prone shooting is required sure have my appreciation and amazement. That takes real skill and lots of practice!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Culpeper', the instability reference was in regard to the projectiles, propelled by your reloads, at 50 yards.

It would behove you to measure the O.A.L. of one of these old reloads, then pull the bullet so you can properly identify and weigh it, then weigh and ID the powder charge.
Since these shots were fired from the bench and appear to have performed poorly, it does not appear to be a good load combination in this particular Krag.

It is always hard to know if poor performance is the ammo, the rifle, pilot error, or all these things.

My experience, (years ago), shooting CW 'rifled-muskets', taught me that it was important to be consistent with screw tension and barrel placement in the stock, when reassembling a muzzle-loading rifle after cleaning.
If I was not careful with reassembly, the point of impact and accuracy would be 'off', at a 'Skirmish' shooting match.

Little things can impact the accuracy of a rifle barrel: stock bedding, positive upward pressure at the forearm tip, fit of barrel-bands, and stock support of the action.

Whig's experience and views may differ from mine, but, I'm sure they have worked well for him.
I was just explaining the method I use.

I usually test 'new' .30-40 loads from the bench, using a Krag carbine that is known to be accurate and has a scope. This eliminates a lot of variables.
If a load shows promise at 50 yards, I load more and try them in a correct Krag rifle or carbine at 50 yards and 100 yards.

waterman

Post by waterman »

If you think you are seeing lead smears, etc., pull the bolt and carefully examine the rifle's bore. If leaded, a tight fitting clean white patch should come out with lead smears. Leading will ruin accuracy, might be the reason for the scattered shots.