Meanwhile out on the range

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Culpeper

Re: Meanwhile out on the range

Post by Culpeper »

I am confused about the term lead smears. What I see on the fifty yard target seems to me the remnants of a vaporized tail. Maybe I am seeing it incorrectly. The bullets were supposed to be copper jacketed 175 SMKs but it was before I started to record my load activity that I may have used open based 173 pull downs.

Anyway I will try to recreate the load with proper documentation and give it another attempt.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I take this to mean that you have none of these reloads to 'pull apart', so as to examine what you actually used in the load?

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I'm going to say yes. However I have not checked in one of my fifty cal cans that I typically use for krag ammo and stuff.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I am familiar with 168 grain Sierra Match-King bullets and have had good results with them in Krags.

I have not used 175 grain Match-Kings, but I believe that like the 168 grain version, the 'tip' of the bullet jacket is 'open'.

If the reloads you were shooting had 'closed' bullet tips, you must have been using 'pulled' 173 grain U.S. military projectiles.
These have a solid 'tip' and crimped base opening.

I see little purpose in repeating this load with 173 grain G.I. bullets in your Krag. (Use the G.I. bullets in your 1903 or M1 Garand).

IMO - You would be better off with loads using your 175 grain SMK bullets, starting with a charge of 35 grains and working up to 38 grains of IMR-4064.
Attachments
sierra 175 gr. MK.jpg
sierra 175 gr. MK.jpg (21.85 KiB) Viewed 12575 times
U.S. 173 grain bullet.jpg
U.S. 173 grain bullet.jpg (233.44 KiB) Viewed 12575 times

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Alrighty. Time to get back at it.

I built this load with R-P brass, CCI 34 primers, 175 SMKs straight from the box, and 42 grains of IMR 4350. The Sierra book, (6th edition) says this is a 2000 fps load. Of course they used a carbine for their testing so I will probably get a few more fps out of the rifle. No matter. I can't clock them anyway. The COAL is 2.085. I set that a few years ago when I loaded with 220 RNs. I measured the COAL with my Mitutoyo.

So it is off to the range. Details at Six. Pictures at Eleven.
Attachments
P1030895 reduced.jpg
P1030895 reduced.jpg (753.26 KiB) Viewed 12461 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Culpeper - I believe you misstated your COAL. It is likely 3.085 inches, (rather than your posted 2.085).
Your photo does show Match King bullets in today's reloads.

FWIW - My Sierra Data recommends loading 220 grain RN projectiles to 3.000" OAL and my Hornady manual recommends 3.080".

Sierra and Hornady both recommend loading 168 grain and 175 grain Match Kings to 3.089" and this length has worked well for me, with 168 gr MKs.

This length feeds well through my Krags, Remington-Lee, Colt 'Potato Digger' and Gatling. :D

(I wish! I don't have a CPD or Gat, but you probably do, down in your Bunkers :lol: ).

I hope you have a good range session with your SHORT ammo!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I learn slow but I learn good.

I could have saved myself a lot of frustration had I performed a deep dive into 426030. Aw, who am I kidding. I would have the same level of frustration just with something else.

Sooooo. I spent an hour hunting up the CMP gauge and had at it. The gauge fell right to the end. But Culpeper it could just be counter bored. Nope. Little or no rifling all the way through the bore. Aaaaaaargh!

So the old girl is going to get a new barrel next year purists be damned.

Next up. 3140. Stay tuned.
Attachments
426030 swallows the gauge.jpg
426030 swallows the gauge.jpg (678.36 KiB) Viewed 12315 times
426030 muzzle rifling - what muzzle rifling.jpg
426030 muzzle rifling - what muzzle rifling.jpg (638.67 KiB) Viewed 12315 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I would have the muzzle of that barrel expertly recrowned and slug the bore to get a maximum groove diameter.

Possibly, .313" diameter bullets could be an option?

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

I'll second that.

My 98 gauges about 3-4 with the same CMP gauge... but the rifling is crisp and the bore is still good at .308, so I shoot the normal 220 grain RN bullets with pretty good success. If needed, I'm not opposed to moving up to a .310 bullet!

waterman

Post by waterman »

Us elderly flatulents are forgetful. If you load with an oversize bullet, mark each load, mark the boxes you store them in, and maybe leave yourself a note. Better safe and embarrassing than damage yourself or a rifle.