New Guy - My First Krag

U.S. Military Krags
Nevinator

New Guy - My First Krag

Post by Nevinator »

I have been a member of this forum for several years, but it was not until just two days ago, that I was able to purchase my first Krag.

I have been a milsurp collector for many years, primarily focusing on M1 Carbines and M1 Garands. I have wanted to add a Krag to my collection for quite some time, but the ones that I have typically found in pawnshops have shown quite a bit of wear, tear and sporterizing.

Two days ago I stumbled across a local auction and I discovered this model 1896. Although it appears that it is a Rifle sporting a Carbine stock, all of the original parts seemed to be there. I haven’t completely disassembled it yet to really dive into the components, but at a $325 hammer price I could not resist purchasing it.

Photos are attached via my dropbox link. Hopefully those of you with far more experience with Krag rifles and provide some information and insight into what I should be looking for as I do a deep dive into the components on this one.

I am proud to add this to my little collection as another piece of our military history.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/v277icb78hp6 ... KZlva?dl=0

[Edited] After disassembling, the barrel measures about 29' where it screws into the receiver, so my guess is that it is a 30" barrel overall. The stock measures 34" from the butt to the tip of the forearm. The bore is shiny and rifling crisp except for the first 1 1/2" near the muzzle which appears to be slightly pitted. It appears that whoever the owner was that it was well cared for. Photos added.
Last edited by Nevinator on Fri Aug 25, 2023 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FredC

Re: New Guy - My First Krag

Post by FredC »

I looked at your drop box photos and one showed the whole rifle in one view. I do not know enough to tell if the stock is cut down or a carbine stock.
If it happens to be an original 96 carbine stock, you will have done good. I am sure it would be worth many rifle stocks that were in excellent condition. Your fron sight looks a little short I do not know what that means. Overall looks very good for what you paid for it.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Nevinator' - Welcome to the wonderful world of Krag ownership.
You did good for $325 and bought the bones of a worthy 'war horse'.

Your Krag, #82507, is a U.S. Model 1896 rifle that was originally assembled at Springfield Armory, around November or December 1897.

Your barrel is full length and the front and rear sights are correct for the model 1896 rifle, as originally issued.

Your stock is a 'cut-down' rifle stock with a [J.S.A.] 'cartouche', (for Joseph Sumner Adams - Assistant Foreman, Springfield Armory assembly room).
There is a year stamped, below the initials, but it is too worn to read it in your photos.

Your stock's wood grain appears to be Italian walnut.
(Italian wood was purchased, during the Spanish American War, due to a shortage of cured black walnut blanks at Springfield Armory).

It is very likely that a previous civilian owner altered your Krag rifle for Hunting, by shortening the forestock, and discarding the handguard and front barrel-band.

Your Krag is quite usable in its current state.
In time, you may wish to patiently 'shop for parts' and restore it to a military configuration.

A new replacement forearm can be spliced at the rear barrel-band and stained to match.
An original or reproduction handguard, a rear barrel-band sling-swivel, and front barrel-band would complete the project.

I have taken the liberty of copying some of your photos and permanently attaching them to this thread.
Attachments
ng fuii iength.jpeg
ng fuii iength.jpeg (108.42 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
ng 1896 receiver.jpeg
ng 1896 receiver.jpeg (318.26 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
ng Italian Walnut.jpeg
ng Italian Walnut.jpeg (781.14 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
ng-1896 rear-sight.jpeg
ng-1896 rear-sight.jpeg (237.98 KiB) Viewed 1100 times
ng front sight.jpeg
ng front sight.jpeg (251.67 KiB) Viewed 1100 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Attached are some photos of a model 1896 Krag with a 'cut-down' stock, that I "stretched" with a reproduction forearm.

(Note - This model 1896 Krag was officially updated with a model 1902 rear-sight and taller front-blade).
Attachments
model 1896 projects.jpeg
model 1896 projects.jpeg (672.4 KiB) Viewed 1099 times
IMG_1170ed.jpg
IMG_1170ed.jpg (132.89 KiB) Viewed 1099 times

Nevinator

Post by Nevinator »

Wow! Thank you so much for taking the time and effort to respond and to provide me with the details for restoring this forearm. Your efforts are truly appreciated.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Replica Krag forearms are available from Numrich Arms and Prestigious Woods sells one on eBay.

Parts like swivels and front barrel-bands are sold on eBay and Grampa's Gun Parts (KCA Classifieds).

Good handguards are the tough & expensive item to get, now.

Use the KCA 'search tab' and review threads on the subject. Some members have recently made their own handguards.
Attachments
Numrich forearm.jpg
Numrich forearm.jpg (10.69 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
IMG_9818.jpeg
IMG_9818.jpeg (433.44 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
IMG_9830.jpeg
IMG_9830.jpeg (312.61 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
IMG_9833.jpeg
IMG_9833.jpeg (314.56 KiB) Viewed 1073 times
IMG_9838.jpeg
IMG_9838.jpeg (374.94 KiB) Viewed 1073 times

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

There is a lot of useful information on the KCA Forum. Take your time and search things out.

Enjoy your Krag!
Attachments
KCA guide to handguards.jpg
KCA guide to handguards.jpg (240.16 KiB) Viewed 1071 times

Nevinator

Post by Nevinator »

butlersrangers wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 10:47 pm Replica Krag forearms are available from Numrich Arms and Prestigious Woods sells one on eBay.

Parts like swivels and front barrel-bands are sold on eBay and Grampa's Gun Parts (KCA Classifieds).

Good handguards are the tough & expensive item to get, now.

Use the KCA 'search tab' and review threads on the subject. Some members have recently made their own handguards.

Great work on your modifications. Looks absolutely perfect. I will definitely look into this, however my woodworking skills are not at the cabinet-maker level of proficiency. Thank you again for all of the information and suggestions.

ebruce

Post by ebruce »

Personally know next to nothing about the ins and outs of Krag rifles. Do know, very much like the looks of your Krag rifle. Restoration will be an educational experience. Read. Learn and proceed as you are able to find the needed parts. Do not hurry. For my part, bought a 1898 rifle a few years ago. Paid about the same price as you did. Took about a year to find the needed parts. Very pleased with the result. Accouterments are also a lot of fun to locate and buy. Sincerely. bruce.

Nevinator

Post by Nevinator »

ebruce wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 5:43 pm Personally know next to nothing about the ins and outs of Krag rifles. Do know, very much like the looks of your Krag rifle. Restoration will be an educational experience. Read. Learn and proceed as you are able to find the needed parts. Do not hurry. For my part, bought a 1898 rifle a few years ago. Paid about the same price as you did. Took about a year to find the needed parts. Very pleased with the result. Accouterments are also a lot of fun to locate and buy. Sincerely. bruce.

Thanks, Bruce for the words of encouragement. I am going to follow the suggestions provided by “Butlerrangers” in the previous posts and try to locate the parts to do a restoration on this rifle. I think it will be a fun project. I restored an Inland M1 Carbine with a 3-digit serial number about five years ago. As you mentioned, sourcing the parts was both fun and challenging at times.

Thanks - Mark