Help please! What exactly do I have?

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
butlersrangers

Re: Help please! What exactly do I have?

Post by butlersrangers »

IMO - Now that we know, what it is, it would be better for posterity just to leave the bogus rear-sight attached and identify & portray this Krag as a nice 'replica'.

Putting a rare and correct carbine rear-sight on it, will not make it an authentic model 1898 carbine. It will just become a more convincing FAKE.

Down the road future owners will just be confused and pay too much for a nice FAKE.

I am not sure of what you mean and the ethics of: "Might as well milk it for all I can".

FWIW - I would estimate the value of this 'parts' Krag at $800 to $900 as a Shooter and representative of what a model 1898 carbine 'looked like'.
Last edited by butlersrangers on Fri Sep 08, 2023 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jolson185

Post by Jolson185 »

It's obviously not an original by all the replies I've received. Parting it out might be a good option. I have zero interest in a FAKE. My dad forgot more about guns than I could ever hope to know. This krag was in a bundle left to me along with an m1941 Johnson, an ndm-86, 4 garands, 4 pythons, and 234 various rifles/pistols/revolvers. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of everything.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Searching OALW on the KCA forum will locate some old threads about Mr. Ostborg and his 'humped' Krag carbines.

Some have an 'OALW plate' in the rear sling-swivel motise and apparently some barrels are marked OALW.
Attachments
OALW.jpeg
OALW.jpeg (88.7 KiB) Viewed 17438 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

I am kind of late to this thread, but trading for faux carbine parts plus cash seems to be another option instead of just selling it for parts. When done someone out there will be happy with real carbine parts and you can put your new parts together and make a nice-looking faux carbine. Maybe Br has already mentioned it, faux carbines are a lot of fun.

MooseNugget

Post by MooseNugget »

What a blessing to have so many firearms given to you as an inheritance. Most collectors would wet their pants just seeing the short list of rifles and pistols you inherited.

IMHO: I would keep your carbine the way it is as is. BR has uncovered a fascinating bit of history concerning your particular Krag! Many collectors, like me, will often acquire iterations of a firearm that fill a particular niche in their collection. For example many of us have Bannerman or Kirk Stokes sporterized carbines. They may not be original but they are part of the evolution of the Springfield Krag. BTW: My Bannerman was the catalyst that got me started into collecting Krags.

Hope you “get to the bottom of things.” Many KCA members are knowledgeable about many different firearms so please feel free to ask questions about some of your other inherited rifles/pistols. BTW: A listing of all your inherited firearms would certainly make many KCA members drool!

ebruce

Post by ebruce »

You have your father's rifle! Congratulations! In every way it is beautiful. Enjoy! Sincerely. bruce.

Jolson185

Post by Jolson185 »

I want to thank everyone for the replies and very helpful insight into this rifle. I truly appreciate it. I am probably going to hang onto it and leave it be. It is a very nice rifle even if not completely correct. Once again, thank you all.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I would, if inherited. It should be a fun gun to shoot.

Maybe print the KCA responses to your inquiry, roll up the paper, and store it in the bottom cavity under the butt-plate.