new guy with question

Sporterized and unofficial modified Krags
Hunza

new guy with question

Post by Hunza »

Hello... I am new to this forum but not so much to the Krag. i purchased my first Krag when i was just a boy many years ago and still have it,but my question is about an 1898 sporter that i just purchased. the sporter is nicely done shortened barrel with williams sights front and the guide ramp on the barrel sitting in a Bishop stock with an uncle mikes front barrel band and sling swivel to hold down the front. the magazine cut off is missing so i figured it had a rear peep at one time,so i tried to fit a redfield and a Pacific but the stock wood is to thick for both. maybe another reason for the Magazine cut off removed IDK??? i have two Pacific sights kinda... one is a click adjustable elevation and windage but sits on a base for a 1917 enfield rifle and the other sits on an unidentified base but is just the standard non click adjustment type. i have a Pacific base for the Mag cut off and thought i would just swap the other parts to make a complete sight for the Krag. on the click adjustment type the elevation is a screw that just screws into the base into a threaded hole and the krag base i have has a non threaded hole. that is alot i know but were some bases threaded and some not? for the K1 and K2? Thank You

Culpeper

Re: new guy with question

Post by Culpeper »

Welcome to the Greatest Krag Forum in the Universe, Hunza. The smarter guys will be along after a fashion. It would help a lot if you could post a couple of good pics of your rifle. I tried to unpack what you typed but I just cannot visualize it. A picture is worth...blah blah blah.

Culpeper
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Hunza

Post by Hunza »

yes that was just to much info wasn't it? main question is in the difference between the Pacific K1 and K2? specifically in the base section with the rod attached,was the hole in the top supposed to be threaded in both the K1 and K2? my base has no threads in the top hole but it lines up perfectly with K1 assembly.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

I don't know if it was too much info or not. I do know I am not the guy to answer your questions. That might be psteinmeyer's or Butlersrangers Krag experience. Me? I'm still learning.

Signing off. Heading for the rub-a-dub tub.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

The Pacific K1 base has a smooth hole. It receives the smooth shaft, that threads through the K1 top sight-'slide'.
This shaft serves as a guide and support.
Also, once the rifle is sighted-in, the shaft can be adjusted to serve as a 'stop-screw'.
This allows the slide to be completely removed or just simply elevated, for bolt removal and bore cleaning.
The slide is easily installed back onto the base and returned to the 'sighted-in' position.

The Pacific K2 sight-slide has 'click' vernier-adjustment knobs.
The base has a threaded-hole that the elevation-shaft screws into.
There is no way to quickly release the sight-slide from the base.
If the slide is removed from the base, the sighted-in setting is lost.

For cleaning convenience, I prefer the K1 Pacific sight over the K2.

Pacific made K1 and K2 "no-drill" sights to fit a wide variety of rifles.
The different Pacific models may have slides that vary in length, in regard to the elevation and windage 'legs'.
IIRC - The 1903 and 1917 model Pacific sight slides are compatible with the Krag.
Attachments
pac-k1_k2_013.jpeg
pac-k1_k2_013.jpeg (51.43 KiB) Viewed 7245 times
pac-k1_003.jpeg
pac-k1_003.jpeg (90.26 KiB) Viewed 7245 times

Hunza

Post by Hunza »

my base has a smooth hole so it is for a K1. the slide from the unidentified sight fits perfectly except the threaded part of the elevation screw is very short. Thanks You Very Much for the information and Pics.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

'Hunza' - In terms of too short, do you mean the vertical 'set-screw' or the horizontal (knurled & coin-slotted) elevation locking-screw?

Hunza

Post by Hunza »

the little slotted screw in the very top nex to the peep. it has a smooth shank and the top threaded part is very short.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

It should not be too hard to make or have a working screw made.

Hunza

Post by Hunza »

agreed but i will shoot and adjust first just to make sure it is needed. do you know the thread specs on the K1 and K2 sights? my rifle is an 1898 serial number 215xxx. any idea of the bore diameter?