commercial 30 40 availability?

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Whig

Re: commercial 30 40 availability?

Post by Whig »

I don't keep notes (maybe I should to alert others) but I stop at local gun stores frequently when I'm out traveling. I always look for Krag ammunition at these stores. I frequently see ammo, mostly new Remington, for around $35-40 a box. I don't buy any because I have enough and these prices are ridiculous for an older fart like me but this stuff is out there. I used to find some new old stock boxes with ancient price tags of like $10 or $12 a box. I did buy those but that was probably 10 years ago or so. Might still be some out there like that at old stores with stock that doesn't move fast.

Keep looking. Travel around. You might get lucky and find some good stuff to pick up. Brass is out there like this also but harder to find as time goes on.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

So the current situation is Winchester will in all likelihood be a no show for 2024 and Hornady is starting to hit the shelves at the time of this writing. That only leaves Remington as the sole question mark.

It would smart marketing after a fashion if the "Big Three" were to stagger their production runs. An example would be Hornady does their run for the next year and then Remington comes in middle 2024 with Winchester coming in the end of 2024 or early 2025.

Yeah. Give me another hit off that bong.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

scottz63

Post by scottz63 »

Looks like everybody has the Hornady 30-40 in-stock now.
14EH AIT Instructor-PATRIOT Fire Control Enhanced Operator/Maintainer

Millwright66

Post by Millwright66 »

Sportsmans Guide has Hornady Custom, .30-40 Krag, InterLock SP, 180 Grain, 20 Rounds

listed for $42 a box ($2.50 a round (spitzer tip)) right now on their website.

P0H0

Post by P0H0 »

Remington is hitting the shelf too — it’s available on the Remington website for an absurd price at the moment. But will be probably going for the same price as the Hornady is it comes into stock at different stores.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

What the...? $2.65 a cartridge. The world is mad said the Hatter.

https://ammoseek.com/ammo/30-40-krag

Sigh. I don't want say it. Go get it if you need it. $530 a case will get you 200 cartridges. I'll be sitting on the bench this run.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

psteinmayer

Post by psteinmayer »

Culpeper wrote: Thu Dec 21, 2023 3:44 am What the...? $2.65 a cartridge. The world is mad said the Hatter.

Sigh. I don't want say it. Go get it if you need it. $530 a case will get you 200 cartridges. I'll be sitting on the bench this run.
Amen to that Deacon Culp!

Since I have been reloading since (two since's?) the mid 1980s, I haven't purchased much factory 30-40 in the last couple decades... and actually have several boxes of Remington and Winchester tucked away in the dark reaches of my ammo locker for emergency purposes. I don't really see myself running out to scarf up any enormously high-priced factory ammo any time soon! However, for those who don't load and don't have much on hand, kudos to Remington and Hornady for stepping up and making the ammo... high priced or not!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Looks like Hornady .30-40 is descending from the lofty heights of the Stratosphere to the $1.95 level. It is a good start but it would be good if the rock bottom would roll in at a buck fifty-ish. Hope springs eternal in the time of Biden.

Speaking of the stratosphere. One hundred and forty-five thousand plus views? Really?
Attachments
Are you kiddin me.jpg
Are you kiddin me.jpg (97.89 KiB) Viewed 12930 times

Krag

Post by Krag »

I’m in the greater Denver area with a population of over 3 million and haven’t seen a single retail 30-40 Krag round in a year. I’m reduced to Seek Ammo, eBay and used gun shops to buy 50 year old ammunition at over $2 a round. You said it, hope springs eternal!

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Look no further. There are at least thirteen entries on Ammoseek for Hornady and a couple more for Remington new ammo. Like we said a few posts up it isn't cheap anymore but, thankfully, it is there again for us to buy, shoot, and reload. Pick up what you can afford. Then sell the family to medical research and buy some more.

I recommend getting a case. Most of us are conservative in our ammo usage. So two hundred rounds will hold you for a long time if you reload and take care of your brass. Operate off of two boxes, reload until they are done then work out of the next two boxes. That should take you out to twenty years or so.

Oh and welcome to the Forum, Krag. Glad to have ya on board.