.22 cal target Krag

For poking fun and off topic subjects
Bill Rogers

.22 cal target Krag

Post by Bill Rogers »

Have any of you members ever seen or own one of the "reported" .22 cal versions that we converted back in the late 1950's? That is the date range I am hearing.

Dick Hosmer

Re: .22 cal target Krag

Post by Dick Hosmer »

Not sure what you mean? Someone rebarreled GPs back to .30-40? The logic of that totally escapes me! Simple to do but why?

waterman

Post by waterman »

Long ago, when I lived in farm country, and when woodchucks were a threat to farm & garden crops (before coyotes spread nationwide & were protected) I saw Krags rebarreled to .22 Hornet (mostly) and .219 Zipper. Often the scopes were Lyman Targetspots or Unertls. Most farmers & gardeners were highly in favor of killing woodchucks. The .22 Hornet was popular because it was not very loud.

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

Coyotes are protected? Where? You can whack all you can here all year long.

waterman

Post by waterman »

RickyG wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:34 pm Coyotes are protected? Where? You can whack all you can here all year long.
Merely shooting them is ineffective. If you want to keep their numbers down, you poison them. Making it illegal to use poisoned baits effectively killed off the sheep business in CA.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

That's the problem. Not enough hunting pressire on them. They would be on the edge of extinction if coyotes were good to eat and there was no limit.

But you have to provide the motivation to get that pressure. There were limited bounties on them in the past. Each of the States would need up the ante with the right kind of moola. Let us say five dollars for dead males and ten dollars for females.

You can get fifteen bucks for a mating pair with a few rounds of 5.56.

You can crash the population of any mammal spieces by killing off the breeding age females.

Look what happened in reverse with deer in the 1970s and 80s. In Ohio for years there were buck only seasons. Then the herds exploded.. i remember seeing herds of ten to twenty deer. Then came the one buck, two, three, and a few rare counties, four does per year period and numbets dropped back to normal.

Same with coyotes. Pressure them hard, kill the females.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

waterman wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 12:23 am
RickyG wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2023 11:34 pm Coyotes are protected? Where? You can whack all you can here all year long.
Merely shooting them is ineffective. If you want to keep their numbers down, you poison them. Making it illegal to use poisoned baits effectively killed off the sheep business in CA.

Ah, California... nuff said

Dick Hosmer

Post by Dick Hosmer »

When I was growing up, and hunting in CA, there was a bounty on mountain lions, and no problems. Now, they eat deer in my daughter's front yard . . . .

FredC

Post by FredC »

Culpeper wrote: Mon Oct 16, 2023 2:48 am T

You can crash the population of any mammal spieces by killing off the breeding age females.

Look what happened in reverse with deer in the 1970s and 80s. In Ohio for years there were buck only seasons. Then the herds exploded.. i remember seeing herds of ten to twenty deer. Then came the one buck, two, three, and a few rare counties, four does per year period and numbets dropped back to normal.

Same with coyotes. Pressure them hard, kill the females.
Our deer population increased dramatically in the seventies. Main reason was screw worm control. In the sixties they kicked out millions of boxes out of airplanes with sterilized male screw worm larvae I think (Can not remember if it was male or female larvae). That completely changed the survival ratio of deer as well as many other species. Old timers talked about having to treat the umbilical cords of livestock before the screw worms could lay eggs on it. Wild animals did not get that help. Hunting regs were vastly different before and afterwards.

Ned Butts
Site Admin

Post by Ned Butts »

Back on topic!!!
Bill do you have any information on this, like where you heard or saw this?