WW2 ammo can

Ammunition, reloading, shooting, etc
Culpeper

WW2 ammo can

Post by Culpeper »

Any of you guys know what this thing might be saying. I picked it up years ago but I never paid attention to the wording. I just glossed over it with blah blah blah 50 cal blah blah blah without any critical reading skills. Was more concerned about finding a place so hole up my secret stash of Remington .30-40. I'm sure you've seen the pictures of my secret stash.

My lame-o guess is some kind of 7.62 ammo for the Bolsheviks during WW2 when they were our temporary ally.

Any way for your viewing enjoyment on a Saturday.
Attachments
Mystery Ammo Can of the Super Duper Secret Stash.jpg
Mystery Ammo Can of the Super Duper Secret Stash.jpg (665.23 KiB) Viewed 10774 times
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Hunza

Re: WW2 ammo can

Post by Hunza »

that says" anyone in possession of this can should fill it with ammo and promptly return the full can to Hunza" :|

Hunza

Post by Hunza »

it is labeled for M2 ball ammo

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Hunza wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2023 7:47 pm that says" anyone in possession of this can should fill it with ammo and promptly return the full can to Hunza" :|
Uh huh, uh huh. Your words are persuasive. I'll let you know. However I think I will get a second opinion.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Hunza

Post by Hunza »

My wife and I both agree. there is 2 opinions??? :?: :)

RickyG

Post by RickyG »

Its a croatian can. Metaka is bullets 7.62 likely a 54r can

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

But it does say M2. It's a mystery.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Good call Rick. Not Croatian but Serbian. It is an Igman can from Feb 1956. I question how it is from the University.

484 KOM.
7.62mm METAKA СА УНИВЕРЗ.
ЗРНОМ М2
ИK5602
У КАРTОНСKИМ KУTИЈАMА

484 pcs.
7.62 mm BULLETS FROM UNIVERZ.
GRAIN M2
IK5602
IN CARDBOARD BOXES

university
Универзитет

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Further digging finds it was Yugoslavia at the time.

ИК (IK) Igman zavod ad Konjic ("Igman Factory at Konjic") – Konjic, Yugoslavia (now Bosnia-Herzegovina).

waterman

Post by waterman »

What puzzles me is "484 rounds" and "cardboard boxes". Does not say anything about clips. To me, "cardboard boxes" implies either 20-round boxes with spaces for individual cartridges (US, UK, much of Europe post WW2) or European boxes holding 15 rounds, 3 chargers with 5 rounds each. But 484 is not divisible by either 15 or 20 without having some left over. How many 20-round .30-06 boxes can you put in the can?