M1 Garand with CASM scope mount

Other Firearms
Culpeper

M1 Garand with CASM scope mount

Post by Culpeper »

I picked the scope mount up earlier in the year during one of my drug fueled binges. You know what I am talking about. Yuengling beer, Easter peeps, over cooked hotdogs, and other like things. It is very sordid but I am getting off topic. So yesterday I was out and about and found a fifteen dollar Bushnell scope and a sporting goods store that had twenty-five dollar rings for sale. I slapped it together this morning. Nothing is tied down yet since I am still tweaking the scope position.

Maybe it is a gimmick. Maybe not. Who cares? You only live once and just barely after Yuengling beer, Easter peeps, and over cooked hotdogs. It says you have to use a SLED with this configuration but I have a full eight round clip in the rifle. It looks like I can load eight rounds by hand in the same fashion as a two round load in a CMP match.

I am on the hunt for a cheek riser that is not one of the traditional off-set types. Enjoy the pics.

Attachments
M1 with CASM mount 1.jpg
M1 with CASM mount 1.jpg (207.6 KiB) Viewed 7749 times
M1 with CASM mount 2.jpg
M1 with CASM mount 2.jpg (660.88 KiB) Viewed 7749 times
M1 with CASM mount 3.jpg
M1 with CASM mount 3.jpg (773.88 KiB) Viewed 7749 times
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

FredC

Re: M1 Garand with CASM scope mount

Post by FredC »

At first the eyepiece on the scope looked too far back. I glanced at my scoped 1917 Enfield and the relationship of the back of the scope to the trigger is similar. So it may be in a good place as is. You can slide it up about 2 inches if it works better so you are covered.

If you get a chance, I would like to see more details on the front and back mounts. I do not have an M1 and have no real need for one but the knowledge would add to my bag of mechanical tricks.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

This is for Halloween, right?

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Fred, I need a bit more info. Front and back mount means what? The rings? The mount itself is one piece.

For Halloween only? No. Saber-toothed squirrel season is just around the corner.
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

FredC

Post by FredC »

Might as well get both ends of the rail. Looking for the attachment to the barrel and receiver in back.

Saber tooth squirrel, sounds dangerous, are you sure you have enough gun?

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Hope this is what you want to see. It only attaches to the holes for the Garand rear sight. The rear mount screw when screwed down applies upward pressure on the back of the mount which in turn applies downward pressure on the front of the mount. The front mount screw using about a sixteenth of a turn applies counter pressure to lock it all down nice and solid.

Attachments
M1 Garand CASM Mount 1 in situ.jpg
M1 Garand CASM Mount 1 in situ.jpg (379.07 KiB) Viewed 7699 times
M1 Garand CASM Mount 2 top down.jpg
M1 Garand CASM Mount 2 top down.jpg (317.15 KiB) Viewed 7699 times
M1 Garand CASM Mount 3.jpg
M1 Garand CASM Mount 3.jpg (380.31 KiB) Viewed 7699 times
M1 Garand CASM Mount 3 tensioning screws.jpg
M1 Garand CASM Mount 3 tensioning screws.jpg (382.07 KiB) Viewed 7699 times
M1 Garand CASM Mount 4  relative to rear sight.jpg
M1 Garand CASM Mount 4 relative to rear sight.jpg (326.33 KiB) Viewed 7699 times

FredC

Post by FredC »

I thought it was mounting to the barrel on the front of the rail. I see it is mounting on the receiver now. Interesting set up. If you have not reattached it yet how about a photo of the receiver where the front of the rail attaches. I would have guessed there was a tapped hole for a screw there. I take it from your explanation there is not.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Nope, no tapping. It is held in place by leverage. The two main screws are the only point where the mount is attached. The rest is just screws to take out all of the slop.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

I suspect this mount will turn a fine 8-shot Garand semi-auto rifle into a, single-shot or two-shot, "Jam-o-matic".

It appears very likely, that on occasion, ejected brass will bounce back into the bolt's-path.
A Garand 8 or 2-shot 'clip' will jam the bolt, when the rifle tries to eject it, hence my reference to Halloween.

As they say in Ireland, "whatever for"?

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

butlersrangers wrote: Wed Nov 01, 2023 3:43 pm I suspect this mount will turn a fine 8-shot Garand semi-auto rifle into a, single-shot or two-shot, "Jam-o-matic".

It appears very likely, that on occasion, ejected brass will bounce back into the bolt's-path.
A Garand 8 or 2-shot 'clip' will jam the bolt, when the rifle tries to eject it, hence my reference to Halloween.

As they say in Ireland, "whatever for"?
Maybe so. I would counter whatever for with "Why?". Why not? This is an opportunity to add another possible failure to the internet universe or a possible success or some place in betwixt. I'll report and you guys can decide. Of course, the most glaringly obvious problem is reloading but if one is not worried about such trivial things then I believe it would be a fun day with the groundhogs or saber toothed chipmunks.

Besides. We have all spent money on dumb stuff. Girlfriends long forgotten. Secret decoder rings. That four thousand dollar bottle of rare corn squeezin's that the distillery only produced one hundred bottles in the days after the Armistice of 1918.