Me and the Remington 41P

Other Firearms
Culpeper

Me and the Remington 41P

Post by Culpeper »

Today's outing was to check Aguila 40 grain Target Competition and Aguila 60 grain Sniper Sub Sonic ammo. I noticed the Winchester is still holding a slight edge over the Aguila Target 40s. However I am not going to shoot up what little I have left of the Super X ammo.

As for the SSS 60s, I threw a couple wide because I rushed the shot. The 41P does not like the heavier bullet. Maybe they'll shoot okay in the Marlin. I'll have to get that rifle to the firing line.
Attachments
Remington 41P with Aguila Target.jpg
Remington 41P with Aguila Target.jpg (650.83 KiB) Viewed 37251 times
Remington 41P with Aguila Sniper Sub Sonic.jpg
Remington 41P with Aguila Sniper Sub Sonic.jpg (616.62 KiB) Viewed 37251 times
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

FredC

Re: Me and the Remington 41P

Post by FredC »

But is it good enough for saber toothed squirrels? Inquiring minds demand to know!

waterman

Post by waterman »

With the 60-grain Aguila SSS, how many shots did you fire? Looks to me like there are some strange bullet holes in the paper, like maybe the bullets were tumbling. A 60-grain lead bullet and a standard 16" twist is right on the edge for stability. Also, what distance were you shooting?

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Squirrels? Maybe not enough gun. Chipmunks? Yeah baby!

Both of the above targets were at fifty yards, ten rounds and a few extra on the 60 grainers (I lost count) on a SR-1 target.

It was still a nice afternoon so I took a black highlighter and a quarter and made two aiming points for the backyard bullet trap. The distance was twenty-one feet. The ammo was Aguila Super Colibri 20 grain cartridges. You know. That just seems so weird to think .22 LR and cartridge in the same thought. Anyway, I made a rear sight adjustment for the bottom spot.
Attachments
Remington 41P with Aguila Super Colibri at 21 feet.jpg
Remington 41P with Aguila Super Colibri at 21 feet.jpg (480.75 KiB) Viewed 37241 times
Deacon in the Church of the Mighty Krag. Member of PETA (People Eating Tasty Animals).  Liberty Works Radio

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

And now the continuing saga of a quack who has gone to the dogs. "Doctor Bob! Doctor Bob!" "Yes, Nurse Piggy?"

Oops. Wrong show.

The Lapua ammo came in this morning and I had a one hour window between things to get twenty shots pumped out. I'll be candid. I am still getting used to the two stage factory trigger. A very little extra pressure and, bang, you can count on a wild shot. I had two with the Lapua ten round group. It seems to me, looking at the eight shots, that the Lapua is better than my stash of Super X. At fifty cents a pop it better be good stuff. I know the Remington is not an Anschutz .22 rifle but it is good enough for squirrels and chipmunks and the occasional feral child.

The second target is the other half of the twenty rounds put down range. I did not have any expectations of good things with them. Things opened up quite a bit compared to the Lapua and the Super X. Looking at the group without the two flyers shows it would be well within the limits of the ten ring on this target. On a regular fifty yard target? Probably not much but I don't have any of those so that's my cross to bear.

Is any of this scientific? Nope. But it is geezeresque and that is good enough.
Attachments
Remington 41P with Lapua Super Long Range.jpg
Remington 41P with Lapua Super Long Range.jpg (496.39 KiB) Viewed 37183 times
Remington 41P with CCI Stingers.jpg
Remington 41P with CCI Stingers.jpg (578.44 KiB) Viewed 37183 times

waterman

Post by waterman »

What distance?

Last week, I shot Stingers from my Winchester High Wall 2nd Model Winder Musket, circa 1912 and marked ".22 Short". I have scope blocks on the rifle and used a 12-X Unertl scope. At 100 yards, my target results were similar.

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Fifty yards for the Remington.

Cat Man

Post by Cat Man »

My small bore friends refer to the Aguila brand as "Taco Ball". Good stuff.

CAT Man

Culpeper

Post by Culpeper »

Had an hour to blow this afternoon so it was a trip to the range with the kids. I had bought a couple of boxes of Armscor 36 grain High velocity, hollow point .22 lr the other day with the idea of seeing how they group in the Remington. I did not move the sights during this experiment. They didn't do too bad. :roll: Minute of groundhog. Twenty-five shots at fifty yards.
Attachments
20231208 Remington 41P with Armscor 36 gr hi-vel hollow point.jpg
20231208 Remington 41P with Armscor 36 gr hi-vel hollow point.jpg (655.54 KiB) Viewed 35995 times