Happy Birthday "Bridge"

For poking fun and off topic subjects
butlersrangers

Happy Birthday "Bridge"

Post by butlersrangers »

The Mackinac Bridge opened in November of 1957, just before the 'Opening' of Deer Season.
I was ten years old, when my family drove across the Bridge for the first time in August of 1958.
Prior to that, we had crossed the Straits of Mackinac by huge Automobile Ferries.
Crossing by Ferry Boat had allowed us to view and witness annually the progress of Bridge construction.

Nowadays, it is hard to imagine that State and Federal officials once had the vision and drive to sell the populace on such a project and carry it off!
Attachments
Happy Birthday Bridge.jpg
Happy Birthday Bridge.jpg (408.67 KiB) Viewed 4579 times
heading up north.jpg
heading up north.jpg (50.71 KiB) Viewed 4579 times
Mi childhood.jpg
Mi childhood.jpg (50.41 KiB) Viewed 4579 times
bridge building.jpg
bridge building.jpg (40.63 KiB) Viewed 4579 times
after 1957.jpg
after 1957.jpg (139.94 KiB) Viewed 4579 times

waterman

Re: Happy Birthday "Bridge"

Post by waterman »

In 1967, my wife and I had been canoeing in the Boundary Waters. Our return trip to central New York State was to be around the north side of Lake Superior, then across the bridge, visiting friends in Michigan and Ohio. But, in those days before credit cards, car trouble used up our travel $$. We could not afford the bridge toll. We drove home through Ontario, camping out and eating PB&J. Back to the US at Niagara Falls. Arrived at my wife's parents' farm with a quarter and two dimes.

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Waterman - U.S. or Canadian coins?

In 1967, the Canadian Dollar was worth about $1.10 USD, just sayin. :lol:

waterman

Post by waterman »

butlersrangers wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 6:24 pm Waterman - U.S. or Canadian coins?

In 1967, the Canadian Dollar was worth about $1.10 USD, just sayin. :lol:
U.S. coins. We were so broke that we looked under the car seats and found some loose change.

We drove our new '67 Pontiac Firebird with a canoe on top. Went for a 2-week long paddle. When we came back, some rodents (squirrels?) had eaten the insulation from some of the car's wiring harness. Car would not start. Getting help cleaned us out. Gas company credit cards came out right after that. We got one right away!

butlersrangers

Post by butlersrangers »

Rodents love 'new car' smell!